BBO Discussion Forums: Was South allowed to rescue this contract? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Was South allowed to rescue this contract?

#1 User is offline   dkham 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-November-21, 13:26

This is about a bidding disaster, where South bid a 2 Michaels, and North didn't didn't realise it was Michaels and kept on bidding Diamonds.
None of the players involved was me.

Explanations:

2 - meant as Michaels as per partnership agreement, but not alerted.
3 - clearly he's got the wrong idea
3 - attempt to rescue into Hearts
4 - still got wrong idea.

South passed out 4x, believing it to be the ethical thing to do. So, questions:

1) Is South allowed to realise partner has forgotten Michaels, based on him not alerting 2?
2) Is South allowed to realise partner has forgotten Michaels, based on him bidding 3 then 4, or should she assume he's making some sort of clever forcing bids?
3) In the auction above, is South allowed to correct the contract of 4 (and 4x)?

As you could perhaps guess, 4x was not a good contract (and it was aggregate scoring).

#2 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-November-21, 13:58

1. no
2. probably, unless there is an agreement about 3 and 4, or maybe unless this has happened before.
3. yes, pending above exceptions. But it likely won't help, north may well "correct" to diamonds yet again.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#3 User is offline   trevahound 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-21, 14:05

1) Definitely not. Law 16 B 1 a. Information from partner's alert or failure to alert is completely unauthorized. In ACBL land, Michaels isn't an alert, however, so there'd by no UI from the lack of alert. I don't see where this takes place, but if in the ACBL there is no UI created. Body language or mannerisms might make UI available, though (and usually do).

2.& 3. Not likely. I would assume 3d is bid your better M, partner (especially if overcaller can be 5-4 or 6-5, for example). 4d sounds like diamonds to me, and I certainly think the idea that it's diamonds is at least a LA. I would expect if S rescued this without extraordinary shape the result would be rolled back to 4dx anyway.

Stuff happens. Roll your dice, move your mice, and do what the little card you draw tells you to do. In this case, it says take a great big minus number. Hopefully you've now discussed what you play for 1m - 2m more than previously.

Brian Zaugg,
Seattle
"I suggest a chapter on "strongest dummy opposite my free bids." For example, someone might wonder how I once put this hand down as dummy in a spade contract: AQ10xxx void AKQxx KQ. Did I start with Michaels? Did I cuebid until partner was forced to pick one of my suits? No, I was just playing with Brian (6S made when the trump king dropped singleton)." David Wright

#4 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-21, 14:16

South has UI from North's failure to alert. The UI suggests that North believes 2 is natural. South is therefore prohibited from choosing a LA which could demonstrably be suggested over another by the UI. That North believes 2 is natural suggests that South should bid 3 over 3. Pass is probably a LA, so the ethical, legal thing to do at South's second turn is to pass. Same for his third turn to call — bidding 4 is not legal. These principals apply unless South has no LA to the bid he wants to make. Without seeing the hands, it's impossible to know whether that's the case. When West doubles 4, South may have no LA to taking it out. If so, he can bid 4 legally and ethically. As bill says, though, that may not help if North "corrects" to 5. And if pass is still an LA it'll be adjusted to 4X anyway, if it doesn't get to 5X.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#5 User is offline   dkham 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-21, 14:29

Thanks for the replies so far.

To give a bit more information, this was in Scotland (where alerting Michaels is required), and the South hand that bid Michaels did not have extreme shape, it was something like:

(weak, but this was favourable vulnerability).

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-November-21, 14:59

View Posttrevahound, on 2012-November-21, 14:05, said:

I don't see where this takes place, but if in the ACBL there is no UI created.

The original poster is in Scotland, and his post implied that an alert was expected. A not-unreasonable guess is that this took place in Scotland.

#7 User is offline   CamHenry 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-21, 15:59

View Postdkham, on 2012-November-21, 14:29, said:

Thanks for the replies so far.

To give a bit more information, this was in Scotland (where alerting Michaels is required), and the South hand that bid Michaels did not have extreme shape, it was something like:

(weak, but this was favourable vulnerability).

To me, the 3 bid would be strong(ish), asking me to bid my better major. Partner's then bid 4 over their 3NT - this clearly reveals his misunderstanding (or possession of many diamonds) in my opinion, because if he knows I have both majors he can double (with no fit) or bid 4M with a fit. There's nothing to stop partner holding x/Qx/KQJxxx/xxxx, in which case 4 has good play. Passing 4x looks like an LA.

As for whether pulling is suggested: partner's bidding diamonds because he thinks I have them, not because he has them. This implies that 4x is going to be worse than 4M, and makes the pull more attractive.

#8 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-21, 16:01

I don't think that pass is an LA over 3D. From South's point of view, 3D must be forcing (perhaps asking for a stop), so I think 3H is fine, since South does not have a stop.

Over 4D things get a bit more murky. 4D, if it's not natural, must be a cuebid (slam try for hearts) from South's point of view, but there are nowhere enough points in the deck for that given opps have bid 3NT. Perhaps it's a crazy distributional hand with North holding 3505? For me 4H is about the only LA though since South is minimum.

Now the focus is on North. Partner has surely shown 6 diamonds 5 hearts with this bidding from his point of view, so he will correct to diamonds, then South bids 5H which gets doubled and that's where it ends. I'll adjust to 5HX making however many.

ahydra

#9 User is offline   c_corgi 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-21, 16:11

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-November-21, 14:16, said:

...Pass is probably a LA, so the ethical, legal thing to do at South's second turn is to pass. Same for his third turn to call — bidding 4 is not legal....

This doesn't sound right at all. Firstly, when RHO has opened 1D and LHO is making natural NT bids without trying to penalise majors, partner's Diamond bids don't sound like an attempt to play there, so pass is never an LA. Secondly, it is actually Pass which is suggested by the UI: the UI tells South that a wheel has come off and the only way to prevent the same thing (partner trying to sign off in Diamonds) happening over and over again at every level is to Pass. South's Pass is actually using the UI to prevent the misunderstanding spiralling further out of control. The only way out is for North to remember the agreement without receiving UI himself.

The above suggests that South is allowed to run from 4DX because partner cannot be attempting to play in Diamonds opposite Michaels on this auction. Actually the failure to run is not "avoiding taking advantage of the UI" it is "avoiding taking further advantage of the unethical Pass on the previous round". Without the Pass, heart bids look like cue bids with Diamonds agreed; with the Pass they look like a place to run to.

Admittedly the auction interpretted as strength-showing cue-bids by North also sounds unlikely, but the UI constrains South to interpret it as such. From North's perspective, Souths repeated heart cues with Diamonds agreed is likely to look odd and he has a reasonable chance of working out what is happening at some stage. So South's best chance is actually to avoid transmitting UI and keep on bidding hearts as required by ethics :)

Edit: cross posted with ahydra, who essentially said much the same, although I don't see why 5H is necessarily the level where EW start doubling in direct seat, or why North would necessarily pass doubled cue-bids in Hearts if they did.

This post has been edited by c_corgi: 2012-November-21, 16:17

#10 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-21, 16:49

I think 3D is clearly a cue-bid and passing it would not be a LA.

I also think that 4D is a cue-bid so that passing is not a LA.

I really don't see that either 3D or 4D would be considered to be an offer to play there if there had been an alert.

I think that North is allowed to wake up at the four level. Unless there has been some mannerism from south that suggests there has been a misunderstanding, North is not in possession of any UI. He's allowed to realize (or guess) that he forgot michaels and pass partner's major suit bid (or correct hearts to spades), certainly at the four level.

#11 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-21, 16:59

It seems that south cannot ever pass diamonds. I mean, partner is cuebidding their suit, surely this is forcing in some way.

North can wake up at any time, south is banned from passing pretty much any number of diamonds imo.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#12 User is offline   trevahound 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-21, 17:06

Partner is an unpassed hand. I have two diamonds. Opener has 3+ presumably. That means my partner will occasionally have as many as 8 diamonds, certainly 7 are possible. Is it really anyone's opinion that when I've shown a roughly 5-5 shape, an unpassed partner can not ever play in anything but one of my suits at any level after any number of rebids?

Sometimes we seem to like to savor our own farts (myself included). Why I even recall making a unusual NT overcall for the minors and my unpassed partner bidding her 8 card Major.
"I suggest a chapter on "strongest dummy opposite my free bids." For example, someone might wonder how I once put this hand down as dummy in a spade contract: AQ10xxx void AKQxx KQ. Did I start with Michaels? Did I cuebid until partner was forced to pick one of my suits? No, I was just playing with Brian (6S made when the trump king dropped singleton)." David Wright

#13 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-21, 17:46

View Posttrevahound, on 2012-November-21, 17:06, said:

Partner is an unpassed hand. I have two diamonds. Opener has 3+ presumably. That means my partner will occasionally have as many as 8 diamonds, certainly 7 are possible. Is it really anyone's opinion that when I've shown a roughly 5-5 shape, an unpassed partner can not ever play in anything but one of my suits at any level after any number of rebids?

In a Scottish club opener will normally hold 4+ diamonds and it is hard to envisage the 2NT bidder having fewer than two.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#14 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-21, 19:26

View Posttrevahound, on 2012-November-21, 17:06, said:

No, partner can play in the fourth suit (clubs in this case). But playing in the opponents' suit is indeed out of the question, at any level (unless RHO doubles).

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#15 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-November-21, 19:37

It would be nice of people could state the jurisdiction which is asked in the rules for these forums. Having to guess seems unnecessary. People like myself do not look at where someone is from so if it is not in the text we do not realise it anyway. Please do state the jurisdiction, please, pretty please.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#16 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-November-21, 21:52

View PostTimG, on 2012-November-21, 16:49, said:

I think 3D is clearly a cue-bid and passing it would not be a LA.

I also think that 4D is a cue-bid so that passing is not a LA.

I really don't see that either 3D or 4D would be considered to be an offer to play there if there had been an alert.

I think that North is allowed to wake up at the four level. Unless there has been some mannerism from south that suggests there has been a misunderstanding, North is not in possession of any UI. He's allowed to realize (or guess) that he forgot michaels and pass partner's major suit bid (or correct hearts to spades), certainly at the four level.

The definition of "cue bid" is "a bid in a suit the opponents have bid or shown" so sure, 3 and 4 are cue bids. So?
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#17 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-21, 22:12

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-November-21, 21:52, said:

The definition of "cue bid" is "a bid in a suit the opponents have bid or shown" so sure, 3 and 4 are cue bids. So?

Also a bid to show control of a suit, often also called a "control bid".

I guess "cue-bid" was the wrong term, at least for the bid of 3 (4 showing control of diamonds seems to fit one definition of cue-bid).

Neither 3 nor 4 would be considered natural (or an offer to play) by the vast majority of tournament bridge players.

#18 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-November-21, 22:20

View PostTimG, on 2012-November-21, 22:12, said:

Also a bid to show control of a suit, often also called a "control bid".

I guess "cue-bid" was the wrong term, at least for the bid of 3 (4 showing control of diamonds seems to fit one definition of cue-bid).

Neither 3 nor 4 would be considered natural (or an offer to play) by the vast majority of tournament bridge players.

The Bridge World deprecates the use of "cue bid" as synonymous with "control bid". I agree with them, preferring to use "control bid" when I mean that, and "cue bid" when I mean "a bid of a suit the opponents have bid or shown". Yes, I do recognize that this is (at the moment) a minority view.
--------------------

#19 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-21, 23:57

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-November-21, 22:20, said:

The Bridge World deprecates the use of "cue bid" as synonymous with "control bid". I agree with them, preferring to use "control bid" when I mean that, and "cue bid" when I mean "a bid of a suit the opponents have bid or shown". Yes, I do recognize that this is (at the moment) a minority view.

It's not so much a "minority" view -- it's just that not a lot of people know about it. I suspect that people would be pleased to have two different words for two different things.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#20 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-22, 02:32

Why didn't South alert 3? If 2 is systemically Michaels, 3 is presumably artificial and therefore alertable in Scotland.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users