BBO Discussion Forums: BBO Movie: Example Discovery Play - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

BBO Movie: Example Discovery Play by Ben Dickens

Poll: BBO Movie: Example Discovery Play (10 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate presentation of this movie on a 1 to 5 scale (1 worst, 5 best)

1. 1 - poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 2 - below average (1 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

3. 3 - average (0 votes [0.00%])

4. 4 - above average (4 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

5. 5 - excellent (5 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

I would recommend this movie to (multiple choices are allowed)

1. No one (0 votes [0.00%])

2. Novices and Beginners (3 votes [15.79%])

Percentage of vote: 15.79%

3. Intermediate players (9 votes [47.37%])

Percentage of vote: 47.37%

4. Advanced players (6 votes [31.58%])

Percentage of vote: 31.58%

5. Expert (1 votes [5.26%])

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2012-November-17, 15:04

The link to this BBO Movie is Example Discovery Play

In this movie, I presents just a single hand, and it will take you 12 minutes to view the movie. The movie uses primary a voice track, with very little written material, other than a series of quizzes. The movie advances you through the hand, one bid at a time, but the bidding is very short. Followed by the play one trick at a time. This gives you the feeling that you are kibitzing even playing the hand. Through out the play of the hand, there is a mixture of highlighted material (using card highlighting during the discusssion) and quizzes. The focus in on using discover plays in non-essential suits to determine the correct play in the critical suit. While the concepts on the hand are fairly simple, the correct interpretation of the evidence leads to a interesting ending.

For the presentation, at the end of the hand, the cards are moved around to discuss other lines of play if the discovery play had turned up different information than what actually happened during play. The movie was designed with intermediate players in mind, but the movie might be enjoyable by ambitious beginners and advanced players looking to refresh their skills.
--Ben--

#2 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-November-18, 07:48

I liked this one.
- I answered all questions correctly, so I think it is best for intermediates but also useful as a refreshment for advanced players.
- I think text is as well as voice. They look strange when I play it at work & text is maybe easier if non-native English.
- The summary was a bit too much detail for me, but possibly more useful for intermediates.
Question:
Is the play best if you don't trust opponents much. LHO can also be 5=3=3=2?

#3 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2012-November-18, 14:23

View Postkgr, on 2012-November-18, 07:48, said:

Question:
Is the play best if you don't trust opponents much. LHO can also be 5=3=3=2?

The 5332 possibility was, of course, mentioned in the summary and should be of some concern. The trick to assure yourself this is not the case might be to watch the spots. West lead small diamond at trick one, and East played the Queen at trick one. West then throws away the J and 9. He might have five diamonds, but he has discarded well to match his tricky 5th best lead... since his last diamond is not the TEN (with J9xx2 he has kept an "x"). This is of couse possible. The mundane duck a heart works in that case, and the clever line of play outsmarts itself.

Fortunately, I don't face that many defenders who not only choose a tricky 5th best lead, and then follow it up with very effective false carding in the suit later.
--Ben--

#4 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-November-19, 09:58

View Postinquiry, on 2012-November-18, 14:23, said:

The 5332 possibility was, of course, mentioned in the summary and should be of some concern. The trick to assure yourself this is not the case might be to watch the spots. West lead small diamond at trick one, and East played the Queen at trick one. West then throws away the J and 9. He might have five diamonds, but he has discarded well to match his tricky 5th best lead... since his last diamond is not the TEN (with J9xx2 he has kept an "x"). This is of couse possible. The mundane duck a heart works in that case, and the clever line of play outsmarts itself.

Fortunately, I don't face that many defenders who not only choose a tricky 5th best lead, and then follow it up with very effective false carding in the suit later.

I meant a 5c

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users