• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Weak jump shift?

#1 User is offline   bd71 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-October-17, 10:56

Matchpoints. Vanilla 2/1.

Would you make a weak jump-shift 3 bid? Anything else you would consider other than that or pass?

#2 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2012-October-17, 11:05

I would never play weak jump shifts, but if you do play them, isn't this a typical hand for it? I think a reluctance to make the weak JS on this hand really speaks to the unsoundness of the method in general.

Edit: To make it clear, with the agreement to play weak jump shifts, I'll plant one here, reluctantly. I would not preempt this hand 3 at this vulnerability normally, but partner surely has some of my losers covered.
Chris Gibson

#3 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2012-October-17, 12:14

View PostCSGibson, on 2012-October-17, 11:05, said:

I would never play weak jump shifts, but if you do play them, isn't this a typical hand for it? I think a reluctance to make the weak JS on this hand really speaks to the unsoundness of the method in general.

Weird questions today. I agree that this is another one.

"If we discussed to jump to 3 with this hand when filling out our convention card, does the fact that this hand actually came up mean that we should do what we agreed to do? Or, should we decide that the pre-deal agreement was stupid and change our mind?"

Actually, I can see deciding that the pre-deal agreement was stupid and changing our mind at the table, in some situations.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#4 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-October-17, 12:48

I don't think this question is that weird. I mean obviously you have the right shape and point count, but man, that is a pretty awful suit to bid 3H with, especially r/w. Would far prefer to have xx/KJ109xxx/xxx/x. I mean maybe we agree to play WJO, but that doesn't mean that this is a 3H bid over a first seat 1D.

Since hands with the right shape, point count, and distribution of honors come up once in a blue moon, I also prefer jumps here as fit, but unfortunately OP gets to set the CoC.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-17, 14:45

If 3 is wjs, then yea i would bid 3. It may not be the textbook hand for it, but i never wait for those hands anyway, those hands are for textbooks, the hand we have in hand is for real life. Suit is not very good but it is 7 cards + shortness in their suit.

I rarely agree with Ken and his opinions but if we play wjs here, we ought to bid it imo.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-17, 18:41

If you play wjs, ya gotta do it with 7 of them and sooner or later will have a reason to pull out your pen and immediately scratch them off the card. They suck.

Kokish once wrote something like "Mr. North please bring all your eggs to the hospitality desk. Your basket is ready". Oh and so often so are the opponents.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#7 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2012-October-17, 20:15

The question you've got to ask yourself is "Would you open this hand 3 in 1st seat vul vs. not?".

You've got 7 s but with the poor quality of the suit, this hand ought to be passed when VUL.

If you wouldn't open the hand in 1st seat, then why would you try a preempt in 4th seat after the opponents have shown at least game invitational values between them.

This hand could easily go set for -500 often and for some big numbers occasionally. Even -200 would be bad if the opponents can't make game.

#8 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2012-October-17, 21:59

View Postrmnka447, on 2012-October-17, 20:15, said:

If you wouldn't open the hand in 1st seat, then why would you try a preempt in 4th seat after the opponents have shown at least game invitational values between them.

Look at the auction again. Partner opened, only one opponent has bid, the other started with pass. I think you might have gotten confused.
Chris Gibson

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users