BBO Discussion Forums: stopper showing or stopper asking? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

stopper showing or stopper asking?

#1 User is offline   shnk 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-June-04, 02:16

2/1
1)
1 - 2
2 - 3

2C didn't deny a 4 card major but 3D does.
3S means what?

2)
1 - 2
3 - 3
3S means?

#2 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-June-04, 02:37

Both of these bids usually show a spade stopper. In both cases you should either have 4 spades or have most of your values in aces and kings (so that 5 is a reasonable contract). This is in case partner has no stopper in the fourth suit and raises to 4 to play in a 4-3 fit.

#3 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-04, 03:06

Bids like this are two-way, usually showing values in the suit bid as a NT probe but sometimes a cue bid with slam interest. You assume the former and partner makes it clear on the next round if they meant the latter.
(-: Zel :-)

#4 User is offline   shnk 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-June-04, 12:58

View PostZelandakh, on 2013-June-04, 03:06, said:

Bids like this are two-way, usually showing values in the suit bid as a NT probe but sometimes a cue bid with slam interest. You assume the former and partner makes it clear on the next round if they meant the latter.

Thanks, that helps.

So if I continue bidding as responder in the 2nd auction ie:
1 - 2
3 - 3
3NT - 4x

By agreement opener has shown a non-minimal hand (with the raise to 3D) and is now showing a club stop (with 3NT).
So if I bid on as responder, now 3S is a cuebid interested in diamond or NT slam right?
Do you guys like to play this as showing the ace, or showing ace/void, or ace/king/singleton/void or something else?
For responder's third bid:
What would 4D show?
What would 4H show?
I don't want to play any funky keycard asks like kickback or minorwood, but if that's your treatment I'm happy to hear it.

#5 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-05, 01:07

Yes, in the 4x auction Opener has shown extras and a club stop and Responder has shown a slam try with a spade control. Whether the control is specifically first round or could also be a second round control is a matter of agreement - treating first and second round controls equally is more common these days. I will add that it is very good that you have grasped these concepts so quickly - many intermediates struggle with this for a while.

After 3NT, there are different schemes out there as to what the follow-up bids mean. Largely this depends on what you use for your keycard-asking bid. If this is 4NT then I would expect 4 to be controls in both black suits and 4 to highlight a potential problem in clubs. 4 is an interesting case that probably does not exist in the N/B world.

If your keycard-asking bid is Kickback (not recommended at N/B level!) then 4m stay the same and 4 asks for key cards. If the agreement is Minorwood then 4 asks for key cards and 4 becomes the call highlighting a club problem.

My own treatment is certainly funky and essentially reverses many of the meanings. In that, 3 is a two-way bid that denies spade values or is an advanced denial cue bid. So 3NT shows a spade stopper rather than one in clubs. Now 4 starts a cue auction (then 4 = denial club cue). 4 instead of 4 is a slam try without a spade control; while 4 is Kickback. I would not recommend this structure either and, in truth, it is fundamentally designed for a different type of system.
(-: Zel :-)

#6 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2013-June-05, 03:33

In a natural and quite common way, over 3 NT, I would guess:

4 slammish with club control
4 slammish without a club control
4 slammish without a club control but with a heart control.

As you asked for my personal view too:
4 club control
4 optional minorwood without a club control
4 does not want to use minorwood, denies a club control, shows A or K of Hearts.

I like a the italian style of cuebidding, so a cue shows first or second round cotrol. But at your first possibility to show a control in partners suit, you NEVER show a shortage.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users