• You cannot reply to this topic

slumming

#1 User is offline   babalu1997 

• Duchess of Malaprop
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:i am not interested

Posted 2010-September-30, 13:32

so, the partner does not show and you have to play with randoms, or maybe youa re lonely at the partnership desk.

list the profile things which would prevent you from playing with a potential random partner.

here is my list, which i might update anytime:

- 1nt= 16-18
- stolen bid doubles
- the deadred "gerber anytime" convention
-1d =4+
-never lead trumps
-rule of 15
- i love this game
-strong 2s

i also avoid flags of countries, maily where the average club player lears precision as the first system. thie 1 diamond opens feel disconcerting to me.

View PostFree, on 2011-May-10, 03:57, said:

Babalu just wanted a shoulder to cry on, is that too much to ask for?

#2 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-September-30, 13:51

Agree with much of that, but disagree about playing a 4 card diamond opening. I play that with my regular partner, and it has some definite benefits. ALso used in many european 2/1 systems (e.g. Ambra). This is assuming It's a 5=5=4=2 opening structure, and not Montral Relay or garbage like that. In the case of 5542 the odds of 1 being on a doubleton are quite small, so you can mostly ignore it if you choose to.

Others I'd add:

Misspelled conventions
Anyone who feels it nessesary to list standard stuff - A profile of "stayman transfers neg x" isn't very helpful.
SAYC + Some modifier. There's no such thing as "SAYC Basic or SAYC Full". Also people who list only SAYC + about 20 conventions that are the exact opposite of SAYC (weak jumps, inv minors, things like that). The absolute only thing SAYC has going for it is that it is set in stone...

#3 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-September-30, 14:14

TylerE, on Sep 30 2010, 07:51 PM, said:

Misspelled conventions
Anyone who feels it nessesary to list standard stuff - A profile of "stayman transfers neg x" isn't very helpful.
SAYC + Some modifier. There's no such thing as "SAYC Basic or SAYC Full".

Not everyone speaks English as a first language - give people a break about spelling occasionally.

It is quite necessary to list basic things if you regularly play with pick-up partners. Stayman is perhaps a little much though...

SAYC Basic is a pseudonym for BBO Basic which is meant to be the standard system without agreement. SAYC Full is probably an attempt at a similar thing for BBO Advanced.

I usually avoid sitting opposite someone with "Strong 2" in their profile, although that is not always easy in the Acol Club. Similarly for strong jump overcalls. 1NT as 16-18 usually indicates that the person opposite is rather old and you should adjust your style accordingly. 1D = 4+ is a positive thing for me.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#4 User is offline   bucky 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-September-30, 14:51

I thought SAYC means Standard American Yellow Card, which is a fixed convention card. By specifying SAYC, you are referring to that specific card, which includes "modern" conventions like Jacoby 2NT, but also "stone-age" ones like 3NT opening shows 25-27 balanced. If you play anything that deviates from it (e.g. Gambling 3NT), it is SAYC + modification (which technically means non-SAYC).

#5 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-September-30, 15:33

Technically, yes, but as in most human endeavors, people will assign their own meanings to words, and expect everybody else to agree with them. :blink:
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#6 User is offline   655321 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-September-30, 15:50

TylerE, on Sep 30 2010, 02:51 PM, said:

Misspelled conventions
Anyone who feels it nessesary

:blink:
That's impossible. No one can give more than one hundred percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.

#7 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-September-30, 16:27

Zelandakh, on Sep 30 2010, 08:14 PM, said:

I usually avoid sitting opposite someone with "Strong 2" in their profile, although that is not always easy in the Acol Club.

Why would you be looking to avoid strong 2s and then go looking for a partner in the Acol club? :blink:
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#8 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-September-30, 18:05

While I wouldn't want to do it regularly, I don't mind playing strong 2s for a session. Same goes for 1NT=16-18. I have to really be in a relaxed mood for "no transfers", but even that just reminds me of the game I learned in the 1970s. Truth of the matter is that the older players who play this style tend to be rock solid; they always have their bids and their defense is reliable. But then again, I still play tennis with my wood racquet about twice a year because I think it's good practice, although I would never play a tournament with it.

I also have some national biases based on my BBO experience. It hadn't occurred to me that it might be because players in those countries are better-versed in Precision, but that might be one explanation.

I've never seen "never lead trumps" or "stolen bid doubles" in a profile, but those would scare me too.

I would definitely avoid "love this game" or "play for fun".

#9 User is online   kenberg 

Posted 2010-September-30, 20:00

The thing most likely to scare me off is the generic version of "Never lead trumps" . Or "Obey The Law". That sort of thing. We haven't even played the first hand and already I am being instructed in how I should lead/bid/whatever.

I have never played any strong club system. It's not a religious principle or anything, I just haven't. I have played weak no trumps but not often. So it's just wiser not to play them with me.

I guess another turn-off is a player who thinks that s/he just has to recite the name of a convention and we naturally both have the same (namely his/her) understanding of how it is payed, when it is on/off etc.

But most conventions I will play, even if I don't much care for them. Bergen, for example. If I am told when it is on/off.
Ken

#10 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-September-30, 21:46

I'm a bridge teacher that plays in quite a few individuals to stay in touch with the general attitudes out there so I've run into all of the above.

The only true turn-offs for me are dictates from on high. Anything from the NEVER or ALWAYS camps, the two words that have no place in this game.

I also recommend the individuals to newbies as a means of auditioning numbers of like-minded partners but you're going to take (and play with) some lumps.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#11 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2010-September-30, 22:53

babalu1997, on Oct 1 2010, 02:32 AM, said:

so, the partner does not show and you have to play with randoms, or maybe youa re lonely at the partnership desk.

list the profile things which would prevent you from playing with a potential random partner.

- 1nt= 16-18
- stolen bid doubles
-1d =4+
-never lead trumps
-rule of 15
- i love this game
-strong 2s

i also avoid flags of countries, maily where the average club player lears precision as the first system. thie 1 diamond opens feel disconcerting to me.

-1d =4+

So you would not partner Balicki or Zmudsinski?
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#12 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2010-September-30, 23:46

Given the advantages Precision in general gives over say, 2/1 or SA (particularly when the opps don't interfere) I wouldn't let the 1D opening worry me too much. OTOH, given a choice, I'd play the current Romex "2 card" system: Romex proper when vulnerable, Romex Forcing Club (which is essentially Precision with some things from Blue Club and Romex) when not vulnerable. That's at MPs. At IMPs, Romex Forcing Club at favorable, and Romex the rest of the time.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#13 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2010-October-01, 01:58

1 4+ is pretty much the only one I wouldn't have a problem with.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#14 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2010-October-01, 05:57

the F* word

but stolen bid doubles is the one that scares me the most

#15 User is offline   babalu1997 

• Duchess of Malaprop
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:i am not interested

Posted 2010-October-01, 09:08

The_Hog, on Sep 30 2010, 11:53 PM, said:

babalu1997, on Oct 1 2010, 02:32 AM, said:

- 1nt= 16-18
- stolen bid doubles
-1d =4+
-never lead trumps
-rule of 15
- i love this game
-strong 2s

i also avoid flags of countries, maily where the average club player lears precision as the first system.  thie 1 diamond opens feel disconcerting to me.

-1d =4+

So you would not partner Balicki or Zmudsinski?

I guess they would rather not partner me

there is nothing wrong with that or even with 16-18 no trump

the problem there lies with me hog, my responses and rebids do not mesh with theirs, neither theirs mesh with mine.

View PostFree, on 2011-May-10, 03:57, said:

Babalu just wanted a shoulder to cry on, is that too much to ask for?

#16 User is offline   vang 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Linux

Posted 2010-October-01, 09:36

"no transfer"

#17 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-01, 09:43

Fluffy, on Oct 1 2010, 12:57 PM, said:

but stolen bid doubles is the one that scares me the most

Nothing wrong with stolen bid doubles in their place....

Do you play a 4NT opening bid as asking for specific aces? I believe this is standard in my part of the world, at least, with a 5 response showing none, a 5NT response showing 2, and 5, 5, 5 and 6 showing specifically the ace of the suit bid.

But what do you do if the opponents intervene? I remember many moons ago agreeing with one partner to play that pass showed no aces, and a double showed an ace that could no longer be cue-bid at the same level as without the intervention. In other words, pretty much exactly a "stolen bid" double, I think.

Not sure their place is after intervention over a 1-level opening bid, though....

#18 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-01, 09:52

The only proper place for stolen bid doubles is on my oppoennt's CC.

#19 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2010-October-01, 15:12

TylerE, on Oct 1 2010, 03:52 PM, said:

The only proper place for stolen bid doubles is on my oppoennt's CC.

As Spyder suggests, Stolen Bid Doubles have their place. You probably already play at least one...1D - (1S) - X = hearts. Another popular one would be 1NT - (2C) - X = Stayman. The trouble comes when you try to play them generally.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#20 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2010-October-01, 15:48

Agree that 1NT=16-18 is an off-putter. Especially in combination with 2NT=19-21 and/or "SAYC". I mean if people write "SAYC" followed with a number of things that are incompatible with SAYC then it's not a good sign.

Other off-putters are Gerber, multi and Acol. And strong twos and regular blackwood. Not that I mind so much playing those things but (except for multi) they are very old-fashioned so they suggest that the player has old-fashioned ideas like most doubles being penalty and such.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users