Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Regional Pairs 2

#1 User is offline   rduran1216 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-September-04, 21:01

pairs w/r 4th seat, against seeded pair.

J10xx
J98xxx
xx
x

1C 4D 6C ?

Sac. or not?
Aaron Jones Unit 557

www.longbeachbridge.com

#2 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2012-September-04, 21:44

Pass. They have guessed, don't give them a chance to intelligently explore grand with a forcing pass.
Chris Gibson

#3 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-05, 01:18

Probably pd stretched his hand too at these colours, no need to push too hard and they are very likely to have grandslam. I would pass and not sac. Although i can easily imagine that it can work.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#4 User is offline   Codo 

• Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2012-September-05, 02:49

I guess, we can make 7 tricks (KQJxxxxx in diamonds for partner...), so defending can win.

I am really not sure whether this will help them intelligently finding the grand slam after they blast 6 .
If opener shows first round control, ´this will surely not fit well to responder who often has one himself. And if opener pass to show no first round control, how will this help responder? I bet they will take the sure plus...

I try the sac.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#5 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-05, 02:55

With nothing bid nothing is a good rule I'll follow.

#6 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-September-05, 09:13

I expect that we can take 7 tricks so 6 is 1100. If pard is stretching ever so slightly then 1400 exceeds their 1370 / 1390.

However, in a regional pairs field, I doubt 1100 will be a good result anyway (25% vs 15%?). They, OTOH, understand that 5 doesn't pay that well, and we might sacrifice anyway.

On a good day, partner turns up with the Q and a cashing diamond, and we are beating 6. This is a huge swing for us (25%--> 90%). Assuming my estimates are close, if we beat 6 more than 1 in 6, passing is better.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#7 User is offline   dboxley 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-September-13, 23:04

To quote a MP legend, "Only Jesus saves"

#8 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2012-September-14, 12:22

which is funny because saving is a much better thing to do at MP than imps in general.

#9 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-14, 12:44

View PostJLOGIC, on 2012-September-14, 12:22, said:

which is funny because saving is a much better thing to do at MP than imps in general.

I think the reasoning is that at teams you can trust your teammates to be in the right contract, whereas you can't trust a typical pairs field to reach the game that you're considering saving against. You should be most inclined to save at BAM.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#10 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2012-September-14, 13:46

I dunno, at imps I usually save only if I think there is a good chance I will hold it to 300 vs their 620 or 100 vs their 420. Saving to gain 3 imps when I am down 500 vs 620 is bad odds usually since a phantom would be a disaster and I'd rather just try and go for the set.

At MP I will be much more likely to try and pick off a 500 vs 620 or 300 vs 420 spot. Of course it might still be a phantom, you never know, but there is way more upside when you're right.

I don't think worrying about the field having not bid the game is a concern that often since if it seems like a close/slim game I will usually not be saving anyways and will just try to set it.

Saving vs slam is a lot different though and that was what this thread was about, was more just making a comment on the phrase only jesus saves coming from a MP god! I did not think it would be controversial that way more saving is going on and should be at MP than imps, is it? I have no hard data but I'm sure I save way less at imps over games, maybe it's a leak.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users