• You cannot reply to this topic

"Secret Bridge Olympics" Next one scheduled for 2013

#41 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2013-May-21, 22:55

The Forum members are far more interested in what was accepted than in what was rejected. So please share with us a couple of things that were accepted. If any regular Forum poster had something accepted, give us an advance preview of what it was. This stuff now goes for publication anyway so it’s no longer a secret. Be rest assured that all the members here will sit up and take a lot more notice of whatever you post.

#42 User is offline   32519 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-22, 13:37

Part of this reply has been copied in from another thread:

View Post32519, on 2013-May-21, 22:55, said:

The Forum members are far more interested in what was accepted than in what was rejected. So please share with us a couple of things that were accepted. If any regular Forum poster had something accepted, give us an advance preview of what it was. This stuff now goes for publication anyway so it’s no longer a secret. Be rest assured that all the members here will sit up and take a lot more notice of whatever you post.

So far here we have 2 ideas that got a 1 vote. Then we got this from another thread:

View PostPhilKing, on 2013-May-22, 08:49, said:

You need to play optional Shapewood to solve this bad boy. 3-X-4(Shapewood)-P4(max, middle shortage)-P-4NT(remainder ask)-P5(trebleton spade)-P-6-APSlam is down with the pointed suits reversed.

View PostZelandakh, on 2013-May-22, 08:52, said:

Was that a 3 in this year's Secret Bridge Olympics, Phil?

View PostPhilKing, on 2013-May-22, 09:01, said:

Just a 2. The committee pointed out that it was better to use redouble as Shapewood. Oh well, there's always next year.

Phil got a 2. We're making progress. Anyone want to share some 3s with us?

#43 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-26, 11:56

The rumours are true!

I just heard from a reliable source that there is going to be a special session of the SBO next year, to commemorate the 45th anniversary of the greatest hoax of all time! The tournament is scheduled to start on the same date as the "moon landing", and best of all, ANYONE can attend, so long as they know where the venue is. You guessed it, the SBO is going to be held at the site of the moon landing hoax.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#44 User is offline   kayin801 

• Modern Day Trebuchet Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-May-26, 15:01

Oh BBF, this is the reason I can never quit you
I once yelled at my partner for discarding the 'wrong' card when he was subjected to a squeeze that I allowed by giving the wrong count with too high a card. Now he's allowed to pitch aces when the opponents have the king in the dummy. At trick 2. When he could have followed suit. And blame me.

East4Evil sohcahtoa 4ever!!!!!1

#45 User is offline   32519 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-26, 22:45

View PostVampyr, on 2013-May-26, 11:56, said:

The rumours are true!

I just heard from a reliable source that there is going to be a special session of the SBO next year, to commemorate the 45th anniversary of the greatest hoax of all time! The tournament is scheduled to start on the same date as the "moon landing", and best of all, ANYONE can attend, so long as they know where the venue is. You guessed it, the SBO is going to be held at the site of the moon landing hoax.

:)

#46 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-27, 14:29

View Postmycroft, on 2013-May-21, 15:16, said:

I brought in my version of "pre-accepted transfer overcalls" as a defence to NT. People said it wasn't original, but did give it high marks for unexpectedness.

I had not heard of "pre-accepted transfer overcalls" but have added it to my repertoire. :)
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#47 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-May-28, 02:33

How are they different from the one over transfers that received a 3 back in the 70s? A new special Olympiad is exciting news indeed - the last one took place in New Mexico in July 1997 and was the first to be filmed (although the video is still Top Secret and difficult to obtain). As a cover story for so many travelling to the desert, the organisors claimed that it was a conference for meteorologists.
(-: Zel :-)

#48 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-28, 10:42

The one over transfers were "over the suit"; the pre-accepted transfers allow you to stay at the 2 level in overcaller's suit. Which is obviously an advantage (but less so against the weak, crazy-shaped NTs some pairs were playing against, where you did have game more often than not).
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#49 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-28, 11:01

View Postmycroft, on 2013-May-28, 10:42, said:

The one over transfers were "over the suit"; the pre-accepted transfers allow you to stay at the 2 level in overcaller's suit. Which is obviously an advantage (but less so against the weak, crazy-shaped NTs some pairs were playing against, where you did have game more often than not).

That's not the version I was taught:

(1NT)-2 = a hand that is happy to play in two spades if partner has a 2 overcall, over which partner can bid 3 to ask if you have a 3 overcall, and so on.

#50 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-May-28, 11:16

View PostZelandakh, on 2013-May-28, 02:33, said:

A new special Olympiad is exciting news indeed - the last one took place in New Mexico in July 1997 and was the first to be filmed (although the video is still Top Secret and difficult to obtain). As a cover story for so many travelling to the desert, the organisors claimed that it was a conference for meteorologists.

I heard that several aliens attended that one, but I remain skeptical.

View PostPhilKing, on 2013-May-28, 11:01, said:

That's not the version I was taught:(1NT)-2 = a hand that is happy to play in two spades if partner has a 2 overcall, over which partner can bid 3 to ask if you have a 3 overcall, and so on.

Irish transfers?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#51 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-28, 11:29

View PostVampyr, on 2013-May-28, 11:16, said:

Irish transfers?

I didn't say it. :rolleyes: ;)

#52 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-28, 12:17

View PostPhilKing, on 2013-May-28, 11:01, said:

That's not the version I was taught:

(1NT)-2 = a hand that is happy to play in two spades if partner has a 2 overcall, over which partner can bid 3 to ask if you have a 3 overcall, and so on.

This sounds like an extension of that well-known convention where jump cuebid of a 1M opener showing a stopper in the suit and asking partner to bid 3NT if they have a long running suit, and should be equally as useful.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#53 User is offline   32519 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-05, 11:43

fromageGB, take this idea of yours and test it at the next event. You should score enough 3s when you idea gets evaluated by those attending.

View PostfromageGB, on 2013-July-05, 05:07, said:

This means that a shortage ask is certainly to be considered, and can be useful. However, I believe it pales into insignificance compared with the trick taking difference effect of a wide point range, particularly a vast range such as 5 to 11. What might be useful is a combined method, where the 2NT inquiry commits to game opposite a top end, but depends on the right shortage opposite bottom end. eg 2 2NT :
3// = shortage 5-8 hcp
3 = no shortage 5-8
3NT = AKQxxx no shortage
4// = shortage 9-11
4 = no shortage 9-11

#54 User is offline   jdeegan 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Economics
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2013-July-05, 22:31

:P Excitement for this year's SBO is mounting by the day. Secrecy is paramount because some of our invitees and attendees have been and will be Roswell Greys. This year several Blues have been invited. Will they come? Stay tuned.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users