BBO Discussion Forums: Weirdest/worst agreements you've encountered at the table? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 15 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Weirdest/worst agreements you've encountered at the table?

#41 User is offline   wuudturner 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-August-26, 08:03

I'm trying to convince partner to play inverted Fishbein. Think about it. B-)

#42 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2012-August-26, 10:53

View Postwuudturner, on 2012-August-26, 08:03, said:

I'm trying to convince partner to play inverted Fishbein. Think about it. B-)

I actually play "Modified Inverted Fishbein", everything is the same like Inverted Fishbein, except that the next step is considered natural. :P
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#43 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-26, 14:54

I also think Namyats is pretty terrible when we are at somewhat standard conventions. 4m preempt is useful and benefits of namyats comparing to opening those hands with 1M dubious at best.

#44 User is offline   beowulf 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Bridge, music, railroads, beer

Posted 2012-August-27, 13:35

Great thread! The following agreement isn't strange on the same scale as some of the other entries, but I played against a pair a few months ago where they had the following auction: 1 - 1 - 1NT - 2 - 2 - 4. I asked if 2 had been forcing and was told that it was. What's more (4 made, by the way), they didn't seem to think this agreement was at all unusual. What do you all think?

#45 User is offline   beowulf 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Bridge, music, railroads, beer

Posted 2012-August-27, 13:49

View Postbluecalm, on 2012-August-26, 14:54, said:

I also think Namyats is pretty terrible when we are at somewhat standard conventions.

I've been playing Namyats with various partners for many years. Theoretically, I love the convention. Trouble is, I don't think I've ever had a good result after bidding 4 or 4, not to mention losing the 3NT to show a solid suit.

#46 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-27, 16:18

View Postbluecalm, on 2012-August-26, 14:54, said:

I also think Namyats is pretty terrible when we are at somewhat standard conventions. 4m preempt is useful and benefits of namyats comparing to opening those hands with 1M dubious at best.

Agree, but playing it in reverse where 4m= 4m preempt, and 3N=good 4M bid (whatever you'd open namyats 4C/4D with) is quite good I think. Better than gambling 3N anyways.

#47 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-August-27, 16:20

View PostJLOGIC, on 2012-August-27, 16:18, said:

Agree, but playing it in reverse where 4m= 4m preempt, and 3N=good 4M bid (whatever you'd open namyats 4C/4D with) is quite good I think. Better than gambling 3N anyways.

Maybe someday they will make this legal.

I've made my 3rd request this week. Fingers crossed.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#48 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2012-August-27, 17:28

Wouldn't you be less likely to want to play in 3NT when partner has an eight-card major than when he has an eight-card minor?
I Transfers

#49 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-August-27, 17:49

View Postbeowulf, on 2012-August-27, 13:35, said:

Great thread! The following agreement isn't strange on the same scale as some of the other entries, but I played against a pair a few months ago where they had the following auction: 1 - 1 - 1NT - 2 - 2 - 4. I asked if 2 had been forcing and was told that it was. What's more (4 made, by the way), they didn't seem to think this agreement was at all unusual. What do you all think?

I play the 2H is GF in this auction, and I know a number of others on this forum do as well, so while it's not standard, I don't think it's unusual at all.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#50 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2012-August-27, 17:58

One tenant of the Mama-Papa bridge I learned in the early 1970s was "new suit by responder is always forcing".

#51 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2012-August-27, 17:58

One rule of the Mama-Papa bridge I learned in the early 1970s was "new suit by responder is always forcing".

#52 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2012-August-27, 18:05

View PostBbradley62, on 2012-August-27, 17:58, said:

One rule of the Mama-Papa bridge I learned in the early 1970s was "new suit by responder is always forcing".

Except when opener has limited his hand.
I Transfers

#53 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-27, 18:51

If you are not playing some form of checkback, 2 should be forcing for one round.

#54 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-27, 18:56

And my entry to this:

I recently saw transfers as immediate responses to strong 2. Thinking about it, it's not completely terrible; presumably opener makes the expected bid with a balanced hand and breaks the transfer with an unbalanced one. The only drawback is that responder now has to bid 2 with a weak hand and no 5 card suit.

#55 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2012-August-27, 19:02

Does anyone play "steps" any more over 2 opening? 2=0-3HCP, regardless of shape; 2=4-6, etc.

#56 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-27, 19:08

In conjunction with Reverse Flannery (where an immediate 2H or 2S over 1D show a non-forcing hand with the advertised shape) then it makes sense to play this sequence as GF. It's what I do with wyman.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#57 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-27, 20:08

View PostBbradley62, on 2012-August-27, 19:02, said:

Does anyone play "steps" any more over 2 opening? 2=0-3HCP, regardless of shape; 2=4-6, etc.

Won't be useful most of the time, because opener doesn't care about queens and jacks in his non-suits. If he does care, he is balanced, and can bid his range, and let responder add the points together to decide what level they can bid to. Better to define a positive as something useful, e.g. at least one ace and king, or two kings and a useful queen.
I Transfers

#58 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2012-August-27, 20:10

Does anyone play "steps" any more over 2♣ opening? 2♦=0-3HCP, regardless of shape; 2♥=4-6, etc.

In more than one club I've played in, this is universal among the casual players to the point that you get blank stares if you ask them why they didn't alert it. (And I have learned to ALWAYS ask, or check the cc, rather than trusting the lack of an alert here.)

A prime example of a very common and very bad agreement.

#59 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2012-August-27, 23:03

View PostQuantumcat, on 2012-August-27, 20:08, said:

View PostBbradley62, on 2012-August-27, 19:02, said:

Won't be useful most of the time, because opener doesn't care about queens and jacks in his non-suits. If he does care, he is balanced, and can bid his range, and let responder add the points together to decide what level they can bid to. Better to define a positive as something useful, e.g. at least one ace and king, or two kings and a useful queen.

I wasn't advocating it, I was asking in the spirit of this thread being about the worst agreements.

#60 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-28, 00:02

A while back I opened 1 and had a 2NT overcall on my left, which was alerted. My partner inquired, and found out the bid is natural, 20-22 HCP, balanced with a heart stopper. When my partner looked surprised, the opponent further added that "we don't like that 5-5 thing, I never know what suits she has, so we just play it natural". Probably not the worst agreement, I know :(

• 15 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users