BBO Discussion Forums: Table-Hopping - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Table-Hopping Players repeatedly moving, apparely looking for perfect partner/hand

#1 User is offline   teal_lady 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-May-25, 11:36

It removes the enjoyment of the game for me (and for most of the people I play with and against) to have players stay 1 or 2 hands and then leave. Too much time is spent replacing them, instead of actually playing bridge. I submit this is Rude, Disruptive, and displaying traits of a 2 year old instead of a bridge player. Would love to see it slowed down (preferably stopped).

#2 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-May-25, 22:10

I table hop, mostly when I feel I'm not a good match for the table for whatever reason. I don't consider myself rude.

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-May-26, 10:17

View Postteal_lady, on 2012-May-25, 11:36, said:

Would love to see it slowed down (preferably stopped).

Keep track of the average number of hands played at each recent table, and delay joining a new table if they've been at more than N tables with less than M hands per table?

#4 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, sailing (yachts and dinghies),

Posted 2012-May-26, 11:39

I table hop.

Whilst I have no problem playing with Novices I do object to playing with "experts" and "advanced" players who are really novices. This can take a couple of hands to manifest itself.

Also, no profile no play.

#5 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, sailing (yachts and dinghies),

Posted 2012-May-26, 11:56

You can ask the host to set the table completion rate quite high. I usually set it to 97%. It can take a while but when you do get player they are usually the sort who stick around.

#6 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-May-26, 12:15

Leaving between hands shouldn't affect your completion rate.

#7 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-26, 13:06

barmar, is your interest theoretic or do you plan on implementing a feature against players trying to use "help me find a game"?

#8 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2012-May-26, 23:22

It would be nice if you could get a per-exisitng partnership matchmade against another such partnership.

#9 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-27, 07:33

View PostCthulhu D, on 2012-May-26, 23:22, said:

It would be nice if you could get a per-exisitng partnership matchmade against another such partnership.
Choosing the "I have a partner. Take us to a table" button will frequently accomplish this.

#10 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2012-May-27, 17:26

View PostBbradley62, on 2012-May-27, 07:33, said:

Choosing the "I have a partner. Take us to a table" button will frequently accomplish this.

We do - the success rate is not as high as I might like :)

#11 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-May-27, 22:51

View PostAntrax, on 2012-May-26, 13:06, said:

barmar, is your interest theoretic or do you plan on implementing a feature against players trying to use "help me find a game"?

I don't make the decisions about what features get implemented. But unless we can understand what's wanted, we can't even consider it. So I'm trying to get an idea of how you want define "table-hopping" in way that could be detected automatically, and what you want us to do to prevent it.

#12 User is offline   timjand 

• PipPip

Posted 2012-July-10, 15:30

View Postbarmar, on 2012-May-27, 22:51, said:

I don't make the decisions about what features get implemented. But unless we can understand what's wanted, we can't even consider it. So I'm trying to get an idea of how you want define "table-hopping" in way that could be detected automatically, and what you want us to do to prevent it.

I am not a new user exactly, but have played a bit recently after a long break. I am finding the behaviour frustrating. It seems commonplace for players simply to disappear if they are in a bad contract. The further implication is that if you click "Help me find a table", you often land in one of those vacated seats, in the midst of a hopeless contract.

Another time I was playing and declarer led a card to which I followed. Then he put up an undo request. I felt that as I had already played to the trick that was not possible, so I declined. He then repeats the undo request multiple times. Finally, his partner who is the host boots me from the table.

Not so much table hopping as table hopped!

Tim

#13 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-10, 23:40

Yes, there are many idiots on BBO. BTW when you land in a hopeless contract, just play it out, it won't go on your record but the player who abandoned it.
Either that, or ask for a redeal. Better players normally agree to redeal as they don't care about getting silly "good" results.

#14 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-11, 04:35

View Posttimjand, on 2012-July-10, 15:30, said:

It seems commonplace for players simply to disappear if they are in a bad contract. The further implication is that if you click "Help me find a table", you often land in one of those vacated seats, in the midst of a hopeless contract.

Another time I was playing and declarer led a card to which I followed. Then he put up an undo request. I felt that as I had already played to the trick that was not possible, so I declined. He then repeats the undo request multiple times. Finally, his partner who is the host boots me from the table.

If you are at a table and someone leaves because they are in a bad contract then you can report it to abuse@bridgebase.com. Leaving midhand is considered a "serious offense" and the BBO staff will look into it, perhaps even suspending or barring the account in extreme cases. if you join a table with a hand in progress then it is perfectly acceptable to ask for a redeal. If the opps refuse to accept this then it is probably not table you want to be on anyway.

Similarly for undos. There are many players on BBO who allow no undos during play, while others always accept. A middle position that is (probably) better is to ask the player concerned whether they misclicked and to allow an undo if they say yes with special exceptions, such as on opening lead. If you find out later that the player did not misclick, or if they take advantage of knowing the exposed card in your hand, then it is simplest just to mark their profile with an appropriate comment and excuse yourself before the next hand. If you set yourself as table host you could also ask them to leave and boot them if they refuse.

Finally, things improve somewhat when you get to know a regular set of players to act as partners and opponents. Most of the problems of the MBC go away once you have settled games.

This post has been edited by Gerardo: 2012-July-20, 17:11
Reason for edit: abuse@bbo.com -> abuse@bridgebase.com

(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#15 User is offline   timjand 

• PipPip

Posted 2012-July-12, 11:28

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-July-11, 04:35, said:

If you are at a table and someone leaves because they are in a bad contract then you can report it to abuse@bbo.com. Leaving midhand is considered a "serious offense" and the BBO staff will look into it, perhaps even suspending or barring the account in extreme cases. if you join a table with a hand in progress then it is perfectly acceptable to ask for a redeal. If the opps refuse to accept this then it is probably not table you want to be on anyway.

I've found this so common that I would constantly be reporting it.

I'm not sure about the redeals either. Isn't that giving an advantage to the leaver, since the hand will never be completed? It seems unfair on the non-offending side who may have played well to get the advantageous position.

Similarly for undos. There are many players on BBO who allow no undos during play, while others always accept. A middle position that is (probably) better is to ask the player concerned whether they misclicked and to allow an undo if they say yes with special exceptions, such as on opening lead. If you find out later that the player did not misclick, or if they take advantage of knowing the exposed card in your hand, then it is simplest just to mark their profile with an appropriate comment and excuse yourself before the next hand. If you set yourself as table host you could also ask them to leave and boot them if they refuse.

This particular player apparently did not speak English, anyway did not reply when I asked the reason for the undo request.

Finally, things improve somewhat when you get to know a regular set of players to act as partners and opponents. Most of the problems of the MBC go away once you have settled games.

I certainly agree with this.

Tim

#16 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-July-20, 04:03

View PostBbradley62, on 2012-May-27, 07:33, said:

And the frequency is what... 0.002% ?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#17 User is offline   Heron 

• PipPip

Posted 2012-July-27, 16:02

View PostCthulhu D, on 2012-May-26, 23:22, said:

Agreed; lobby chat is/was a not-completely-awful way of getting that, but it's also getting killed off.

#18 User is offline   uday 

Posted 2012-July-28, 10:42

Slightly off topic, but -

at one point we forced hands to be auto-redealt when someone bailed and someone else sat down.

As you know, one can't really complete a hand from the middle, with no knowledge of what happened on prior tricks. Yet, we received a number of complaints about this behaviour and decided to roll back the change.

Back to the main topic.

We're looking at the HMFAG ( help me find a game ) logic again. But lets ask this:

Someone clicks HMFAG. Where should he go if he's known to be a table hopper with (say) a 35% completion rate? to a table with other table hoppers? Or should we say 'Sorry, no tables available?'

U

#19 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-July-28, 13:17

View Postuday, on 2012-July-28, 10:42, said:

Someone clicks HMFAG. Where should he go if he's known to be a table hopper with (say) a 35% completion rate? to a table with other table hoppers? Or should we say 'Sorry, no tables available?'

U

Could you throw him to the lions?

Put him at the table with the lowest combined completion rate or with a partner with the lowest CR.

#20 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2012-July-28, 14:21

View Postuday, on 2012-July-28, 10:42, said:

We're looking at the HMFAG ( help me find a game ) logic again. But lets ask this:

How about this: a player whose table-hopping reaches an "unacceptable" level (this could be measured as hand completion rate, or average hands played before leaving, or some combination thereof) loses the ability to use the "take me to the first seat available" function. He can still use the "list interesting tables" function, but since he has demonstrated an inability to sit still, he should be required to pre-screen the tables before sitting down at one.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users