• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Inverted minors problem

#1 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2012-August-14, 03:21

Partner opens 1D (could be 3 if 4432 shape only) and you bid 2D, inverted, forcing for 1 round, to 3D.

What do you call here?

#2 User is offline   dkham 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-August-14, 03:30

To keep 3NT as an option I'd try 3.

#3 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-14, 04:03

3H (ask stop)

ahydra

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-14, 04:09

Weak/strong no trump ? ie if it's 4432 what's the range ? What's the agreement on partner's pass, does he bid 3 with most bad hands ? Do we have some form of good/bad 2N available ?

I'm going to bid clubs or look for a heart stop for 3N but knowledge of the rest of the system would help as to how I do so.

#5 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2012-August-14, 04:24

3 or 3 or 3 depending.

I was going to ask:

Cyberyeti, on 2012-August-14, 04:13, said:

Weak/strong no trump ? ie if it's 4432 what's the range ? What's the agreement on partner's pass, does he bid 3 with most bad hands ? Do we have some form of good/bad 2N available ?

Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#6 User is offline   mr1303 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2012-August-14, 06:05

We play strong NT. Over 1D P 2D P, partner would normally bid a stopper, or no trumps with all other suits stopped, or 3D with an unbalanced minimum, or something else sensible. 3H/3S/4C would be splinters (although obviously 4C would be rare).

You have no specific agreement after the double, but you can assume something similar (with xx being some strongish hand looking for a penalty).

#7 User is offline   CamHenry 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-14, 06:13

mr1303, on 2012-August-14, 06:05, said:

We play strong NT. Over 1D P 2D P, partner would normally bid a stopper, or no trumps with all other suits stopped, or 3D with an unbalanced minimum, or something else sensible. 3H/3S/4C would be splinters (although obviously 4C would be rare).

You have no specific agreement after the double, but you can assume something similar (with xx being some strongish hand looking for a penalty).

In that case, partner's pass sounds like it's a balanced minimum (as he'd show a stopper or a secondary suit if he had one, and XX with a big hand). The method I like here is "notional Lebensohl" - assume the auction has been 1NT - (2H) - ?, but you have some additional information. In this method, I bid 2NT, then 3NT after partner bids 3C. I think that describes my hand quite nicely. Unfortunately, if you haven't discussed partner's pass after the double, this looks like a bit of a risk(!).

I've still got enough values that I want to play 3NT if there's a heart stop around, and without discussion I'd expect 3 to ask for one. The risk is that partner takes this as showing a stopper, but bridge logic seems to say "if I had a heart stopper I'd bid it to protect the tenaces/minor honours". In particular, since I have Jx rather than Jxx, I don't want to play 3NT this side.

If partner denies a heart stop, I probably subside in 4. We're likely to be missing two cashing hearts, and the odds of partner having enough top diamonds, spade king and there being no slow black loser are slim.

#8 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-14, 06:32

I got rid of the double and triple posts. B-)

I'm with Cyber on those questions. Given the answers, I'd bid 3, asking for a stopper. Don't play Lebensohl here, although that's a good idea.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#9 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-August-14, 06:57

mr1303, on 2012-August-14, 06:05, said:

I missed one question, does the inverted raise deny 4M ? I'm guessing the bidding of stops suggests it does.

I agree with CamHenry pass should be a balanced minimum if 4M is denied by the raise, otherwise you might bid 2 with 4.

That said what do I do now ? Probably 3 GF looking for stop, but it's far from certain 3N is the right spot if the diamonds don't run, give partner Kxx, Axx, KQxxx, xx and 5 is cold but 3N isn't.

#10 User is offline   the_clown 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-14, 07:44

3 looks best, over 3, I would bid 3 showing a stop and denying a stop.

Over 3 partner should bid stoppers or 3 if he is min.

#11 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-14, 08:41

2 was not alerted (or described properly)? I'm with the others in driving past 3. There is probably a case for stopping in 4 if there is no heart stopper, but I think I'd take a shot at 5.

#12 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-14, 09:12

Since this is the laws forum, maybe the issue is whether it is safe to assume that pass would be forcing? In that case, maybe pass is an LA.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#13 User is offline   mr1303 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-14, 10:10

Ah ha

Some of you have started to twig that this is a ruling issue.

Partner did alert 2D, but when asked he explained that he couldn't remember whether or not the partnership were playing inverted minors or not.

I was wondering, given the UI suggests not bidding 3D (since partner will probably pass this bid), is bidding 3D an LA.

What actually happened was that the player holding this hand bid 3D, then after 3H by LHO and another pass from partner, this hand bid 4D which ended the auction.

#14 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-14, 10:30

mr1303, on 2012-August-14, 10:10, said:

given the UI suggests not bidding 3D (since partner will probably pass this bid), is bidding 3D an LA.

Given that the UI suggests NOT bidding 3D, why does it matter whether or not 3D is a LA? If the bidder did not choose a bid suggested by the UI, then that is the end of it. (There might be an issue if the UI suggests 3D over pass, and pass is an LA, but I'm not sure about either think in that chain....)

#15 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-August-14, 11:29

I don't understand why the UI either suggests or doesn't suggest bidding 3D. Unless we are playing inverted raises as game forcing (an uncommon agreement in the UK), 3D is not forcing whether or not 2D was inverted.

#16 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2012-August-14, 11:43

IMO, bidding 3 was incredible active ethics. A cue or a call of 3 (latter being my preference) stand out. 3 is way weak, non-forcing, and clearly the ethical call, IMO.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#17 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-14, 12:03

kenrexford, on 2012-August-14, 11:43, said:

IMO, bidding 3 was incredible active ethics. A cue or a call of 3 (latter being my preference) stand out. 3 is way weak, non-forcing, and clearly the ethical call, IMO.

I don't know why you would call it incredibly active ethics to make a NF call when you have a hand that is worth a GF (or at least a hand that would drive past 3).

I can understand your point if you think 3 would normally be forcing after an inverted 2, but NF opposite a non-inverted 2.

#18 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2012-August-14, 12:35

TimG, on 2012-August-14, 12:03, said:

I don't know why you would call it incredibly active ethics to make a NF call when you have a hand that is worth a GF (or at least a hand that would drive past 3).

I can understand your point if you think 3 would normally be forcing after an inverted 2, but NF opposite a non-inverted 2.

I am looking at the heart of the person making the call. If a minor suit game requires 28 points (textbook range) and if partner has 11+ HCP, we end up about 2-4 point shy of 5. With only J-x in their suit, and partner passing, 3NT looks reasonably remote. Thus, deciding that not making great noise is a reasonable alternative is perhaps overboard but certainly honorable.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#19 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-14, 15:01

Obviously 3 is not an LA. I would choose them from between 2, 3, and 3. I can't really imagine anything but those.
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#20 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-August-14, 17:33

lalldonn, on 2012-August-14, 15:01, said:

Obviously 3 is not an LA. I would choose them from between 2, 3, and 3. I can't really imagine anything but those.

I can imagine passing. In fact, I'd almost certainly choose that on the unpolluted auction.

It's a convenient way of finding out whether partner has a heart stop, and I can show my club values on the next round. It seems natural that a direct 3 shows a second suit, whereas a delayed 3 shows a stopper. Similarly, an immediate 2 ought to show more concentration, like AKx.

If pass is an LA, it's also the one least suggested by the UI.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users