what is your criterion

tx fror ur response
Don Malone
it takes all of us

#2 User is online   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-August-01, 12:05

I like to play that responder can bid 1M-1nt with 11 or 12 high and balanced, but opener can pass in that auction when balanced (and a 2m rebid is 4+ cards). To do this, I need opener to not start with 1M on 14-15 balanced. So I will open 1nt (14-16) with a major.

After 1c-1d, I will rebid my 5M rather than 1nt. This facilitates finding better partials and possible light hcp games, both of which are really essential after the 1c-1d start.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#3 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-August-01, 15:37

I'm assuming that you are allowed to pass after 1-1 // 1M ; I can't in my partnership. The way I would approach it is simply "Do I want to play in 1M or 1NT if partner is broke with 2-card support?". Most of the time, I will bid my 5-card Major, but if the suit quality is junk (like Qxxxx) I'll just rebid 1NT.

I tend not to open 1NT with 5-card Majors, except (again) if I would rather play in NT than the Major. Note that if 1NT is Forcing but you don't like to open 1NT with 5M, you can downgrade 14 counts and upgrade 16 counts, but 15 counts still are opened 1NT. Again, I am assuming that 1M - 1NT is Forcing; this doesn't apply to Semi-Forcing.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#4 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-02, 01:05

This is like asking the same question in SAYC or 2/1, or any other system where there is some leeway on these things. You make an agreement. In my strong club system I always treat 5M332 as balanced and open/rebid 1NT here. Others hate this approach and have alternative schemes. I do not think playing either method will make or break a system providing you have the appropriate tools to deal with the hand type through your chosen style.

@chase, would you really downgrade a 5M332 14 count out of a 14-16 NT? That sounds like a recipe for disaster but perhaps I misunderstood what you meant.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#5 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2012-August-08, 00:43

Following on suggestions from Walter Johnson, partner and I open 1N with 14-15 and 5332 w/5-card major all the time. With 16+ we always open 1 and rebid the Major. We are reluctant to open our strongish 2N hands with 5332.

Opening 1NT with a 5-card major solves the rebid problem in 2/1 GF (playing forcing NT there is some risk partner drops us in our 2nd suit when game or NT pays better). In Precision, the 1 opening bid solves that problem for us. With a suitable response structure to 1-1-1M we can bid better than our opponents who open a 15-17 1N.

I'll leave it to others to debate whether to open 2N with 5332 (major). I don't have strong feelings. I just don't like reveailing this pattern via Puppet Stayman because it helps the defense too much.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users