Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Blocked Tourneys

#1 User is offline   Trecar 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-July-28, 16:02

I do not understand why, when I try to log into a tourney I get the following message: "trecar:blocked - historical Tourney completion percentage is lower than that required by this tournament"

I have NEVER failed to complete a tourney not have I had any IT problems that have thrown me off line.

How can I recover my rightful completion status?

#2 User is offline   uday 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-July-28, 18:38

You've only played one tournament in the last 60 days, and thus there isn't enough data to know what your completion percentage is.

The tourney you were trying to join, whatever it was, happened to have restricted entry to users known to have a higher percentage than some specified threshold

You can build up and maintain your stats by making sure you play in at least 10 Tourneys every 60 days

U

#3 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2012-July-30, 11:12

You know, I've always found this odd as well. I, too, have (as far as I know) a 100% tournament completion rating (I did have one event where I got network-failed, but I got back in to finish it). And it's over 40, 50 tournaments. But I don't do tournaments randomly, so I never have 10/60.

Are there really people who run up a good percentage, and then start bailing, such that we need to do this rolling average? Can't it be "x% of the last 20" or something?

Obviously, not my site, not my rules. But this one seems odd.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#4 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2012-July-30, 12:12

It seems to me that the system should be able to identify the difference between players whose TCR is too low and players who don't have a TCR, and should be able to give those two groups different specific and helpful messages as to why their registration is being denied.

#5 User is offline   0 carbon 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-January-26, 22:18

If not TCR%, then just allow them to play - unless very new.

#6 User is offline   crunch 

• Pip

Posted 2017-April-29, 08:31

I can't seem to play a free pairs game with my partner because of my (or his) TCR. Neither of us has played in a pairs event for eons. Both of us play in the daily IMP and MP individuals. We have always completed these tournaments, although sometimes there is no result shown for one of them the next day. My questions:
  • Why do I not get results for a tourney I've completed the day before?
  • Where is my TCR and MCR listed?
  • Is there a difference between pair and individual events regarding TCR?

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-April-29, 10:52

You don't get a TCR until you've played at least 10 tournaments in a 2-month period. You've only played 5 tournaments.

The daylong tournaments don't count towards TCR. We don't penalize you for dropping out of them, because the daylong structure allows you to drop out and rejoin later. But we also don't give you credit for completing them (I've just brought this up with management, I think we should fix it).

Instant robot tournaments also don't count. Play in a few Robot Duplicates and you'll get a TCR. Once you get a TCR, you'll see it in your profile.

There's no difference between pair and individual.

#8 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2017-April-29, 14:16

We've discussed this, and we're probably not going to change TCR to include daylong tourneys.

The reason is that one of the things that TCR is meant to measure is whether you have a reliable enough Internet connection that you can usually complete tourneys. Even with a poor connection, daylongs give you plenty of opportunities to finish. So finishing daylongs is not a good indicator that you won't get disconnected from regular tourneys.

#9 User is offline   crunch 

• Pip

Posted 2017-April-29, 16:24

View Postbarmar, on 2017-April-29, 14:16, said:

We've discussed this, and we're probably not going to change TCR to include daylong tourneys.

The reason is that one of the things that TCR is meant to measure is whether you have a reliable enough Internet connection that you can usually complete tourneys. Even with a poor connection, daylongs give you plenty of opportunities to finish. So finishing daylongs is not a good indicator that you won't get disconnected from regular tourneys.

Why are Instance Tourneys not included?

#10 User is offline   crunch 

• Pip

Posted 2017-April-29, 16:25

So Survivor tourneys do count?

#11 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2017-April-30, 16:23

View Postcrunch, on 2017-April-29, 16:25, said:

So Survivor tourneys do count?

If you mean the multi-daylong survivor tourney we help over the weekend a week or two ago, no.

#12 User is offline   crunch 

• Pip

Posted 2017-April-30, 19:16

Barman, thanks for the quick replies. Very appreciated.

#13 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-17, 15:08

View PostTrecar, on 2012-July-28, 16:02, said:

I do not understand why, when I try to log into a tourney I get the following message: "trecar:blocked - historical Tourney completion percentage is lower than that required by this tournament"

I have NEVER failed to complete a tourney not have I had any IT problems that have thrown me off line.

How can I recover my rightful completion status?

Do not forget, if you are a glutton for pain, you can also join as substitutes for tournaments and that will also help increase your tournament completion ratio to its rightful status.

Serving as a substitute from the time of placement to the end of tournament will count as if you have played an entire tournament. Sometimes that can be a short as two or three boards, and poof, your job is done!

Warning: BBO makes no express or implied warranties about the caliber or sanity of the partner you will have as a substitute. Play at your own risk! :D

#14 User is offline   silvr bull 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-21, 06:56

View Postbarmar, on 2017-April-29, 14:16, said:

I would like this to be re-considered. I agree that dropping out of a daylong should not create a TCR penalty, just like a substitute dropping out before the end of the tourney. If a daylong is completed with no dropouts, however, it should give credit to the TCR in the same way that a substitute gets credit from completing a tournament. That would be an easy rule for BBO to implement to encourage users to sign up for and complete daylong tourneys without dropouts.

#15 User is offline   TDMOOSIE 

• Pip

Posted 2019-July-26, 17:28

This topic has bothered me for several YEARS. I have played in BBO for more than 12 years in good standing. I am both pjmoose and a TD in Total Pts. Years ago, more than 5, I played a lot of tourney with a friend/pard and we did not do well usually less that 50%. Then I began to be told I could not play due to "historically low % rates". I have never left a tourney on purpose. I understand the low % rate thing but it seems that after many years it would go away. I'm sure I am not the only person who had bad %s. That would mean that only new people can play until they are not allowed and only experts are left. This makes no sense at all. I have just given up even trying to get into your tourneys and play Total Pts and wprefugees. I do not have time to bother worrying about it but it is embarrassing when someone asks me to play a tourney and then finds that I am "blocked". So until they start putting a time limit on being blocked I do not have time to sub and mess around trying to get back in their good graces. I am not one of those folks who play online 8-10 hours a day...I have a life too. But it would be nice to not be punished for bad scores years ago.
So be it. pjmoose…. tdmoosie p. Lindley

#16 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-July-26, 18:51

View PostTDMOOSIE, on 2019-July-26, 17:28, said:

This topic has bothered me for several YEARS. I have played in BBO for more than 12 years in good standing. I am both pjmoose and a TD in Total Pts. Years ago, more than 5, I played a lot of tourney with a friend/pard and we did not do well usually less that 50%. Then I began to be told I could not play due to "historically low % rates".

Are you confusing matchpoint % with TCR %? Your matchpoint results have no impact on whether you're allowed to play in other tournaments.

I have never left a tourney on purpose.

It doesn't matter whether you leave on purpose. If you get disconnected because of a poor Internet connection, it inconveniences other players just as much as if you withdraw. That's what the TCR is trying to measure: do you disrupt the game too much by withdrawing or getting disconnected?

That would mean that only new people can play until they are not allowed and only experts are left. This makes no sense at all. I have just given up even trying to get into your tourneys and play Total Pts and wprefugees.

What does being expert have to do with it? It still sounds like you're thinking that this is about your results, not whether you complete the tournament.

I can't find any recent tourney history for you. It looks like you haven't played in any tourneys since we started calculating TCR (daylongs and challenges don't count for this).

Play in 10 robot tourneys and you'll get a TCR and should then be able to play in tourneys that are restricted.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users