BBO Discussion Forums: A new beginning - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A new beginning Partnerships at the start

#21 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2012-July-31, 23:25

I think one of the critical things to address is compatibility.

One of the secrets of Larry and I's success is that we have never once, not once! been angry or untoward towards each other, and we've been national pards now for 7 years. Yet locally, he and I have had very opposite success - he played with many excellent players in Knoxville, while I can't even get a sniff in a good partnership. I think a major part of this dichotomy has been the fact that there is almost a clique-like feel that has happened here in DC, and it is super hard to break into the groups to get the better players and teams. I strongly suspect personalities has much to do with it too.

After compatibility, you need to find someone that has both specific and obtainable goals that are similar as you.
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#22 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2012-August-01, 19:33

It certainly helps to get a reputation as a good partner - I know a guy who is probably about the same skill level as me, but he gets REALLY good partners for any event he wants (partners that win nationals easily --- if he was playing with peers he would be happy finishing in the top quarter), simply because he is so nice and so pleasant to be around. He is basically a sponsor but pays with charm instead of money. Takes a few years to work up a reputation like that but every journey begins with a single step!
I Transfers

#23 User is offline   kidd2012 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-August-04, 11:40

View Postmr1303, on 2012-July-31, 09:44, said:

It's just like dating. Someone should set up ebridgepartners.com

That's actually a very good idea. Or maybe BBO could host such a service.

#24 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-August-08, 00:46

The way to approach this is to play here and there with all candidates, the ones you feel more comforable and the ones that feel more comfortable with you will play more often, to the point where you start to make unnusual agreements and become a partnership.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users