• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bidding After A Jump Shift Choices-Choices

#1 User is offline   masse24 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-July-26, 10:32

Now....?

An additional comment: The pinned primer on REVERSES is great information. It would be great to have a similar thread on Jump-Shifts with contributions from qualified experts. :)

As Justin has stated previously, bidding after Jump-Shifts is one of the most misunderstood, highest-error areas of bridge.

Thanks!
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

#2 User is offline   trevahound 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-26, 10:55

I'm sure I don't qualify as a "real expert". However, I think my methods are better than most after a jump shift (in a standard 2 big framework).

I prefer the cheapest call available after a jump shift to be a waiting bid, analogous to a 2 response to a 2 opener. That gives definition to all other calls, and meanwhile reserves maximal room for the strong hand to further describe. As a consequence of this agreement, we never fake a jump shift into the under suit. When we do make a jump shift into the under suit, we still use the cheapest call as our waiting bid, substituting a different call for the real positive in the first suit. For example, after 1 - 1nt(f) // 3 - ? we use 3 as the waiting bid and 3nt as the original spade positive (usually a 3cLR). If the jump shift is not into the under suit, this also saves room for opener to clarify if the jump shift might have been faked (rebidding the first suit), or to shape out with a fragment, often in support of responder's suit.

I feel very strongly that these methods improve standard JS auctions outside a big club type framework. Your mileage, of course, may vary.

BTW, in your example hand, isn't 3 the clear standout rebid? 2 created a GF, and you would be hard pressed to find a better hand for partner for a club slam (assuming partner isn't the type to bid this was 4/4 in the blacks).
"I suggest a chapter on "strongest dummy opposite my free bids." For example, someone might wonder how I once put this hand down as dummy in a spade contract: AQ10xxx void AKQxx KQ. Did I start with Michaels? Did I cuebid until partner was forced to pick one of my suits? No, I was just playing with Brian (6S made when the trump king dropped singleton)." David Wright

#3 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-26, 11:05

3C

Edit: actually maybe 4C
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#4 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-July-26, 11:16

I play something quite simple.

2nt is the slow down, I might have nothing much bid relay to 3 and everything else is a gf.

Responder has such a wide range it's important to narrow it down and max out your bidding room. Many times responder doesn't know the strain yet. 3 is easy here and you might even have a grand that's bidable with enough room for a very long auction.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#5 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-26, 11:30

2S was the game force, so that is resolved for us. No space consuming jumping around by me is necessary. Partner will always have 5+clubs and be unbalanced in our style.

3C is just fine. Will cooperate with all control sequences/slam probes, and if partner doesn't start it off, I will pull 3nt to start one. Will even show the club queen I don't have, if asked.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#6 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2012-July-26, 12:00

I eacho the comments that 2NT is the usual "slow down" call for me. Hence, 3 stands out.

I cannot imagine this being a problem sequence yet. It seems to me that the problem will occur after this sequence:

1-P-1-P-
2-P-3-P-
something-P-?

When "something" is filled in, now we might have an interesting discussion.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#7 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-July-26, 12:04

4 looks obvious.

Agree a nice long detailed primer on jump shifts for the I/A would be hugely beneficial.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#8 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-26, 20:44

If 2NT is the "slow down", what about auctions like 1-1, 3?

#9 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2012-July-26, 21:33

View PostAntrax, on 2012-July-26, 20:44, said:

If 2NT is the "slow down", what about auctions like 1-1, 3?

Weird situation, but the rules allow for an insufficient bid in that sequence.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#10 User is offline   masse24 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-26, 21:45

View Postkenrexford, on 2012-July-26, 12:00, said:

I eacho the comments that 2NT is the usual "slow down" call for me. Hence, 3 stands out.

I cannot imagine this being a problem sequence yet. It seems to me that the problem will occur after this sequence:

1-P-1-P-
2-P-3-P-
something-P-?

When "something" is filled in, now we might have an interesting discussion.

OK....great. I too thought 3 was the standout choice and that was my bid.

But....you mention a 2NT "slow down", however, it has a different meaning than a Leb or Ingberman 2NT...yes?
A Jump-Shift is still a Game Force?

Thanks!

p.s. Would still love for someone to start a virgin thread and expound on these follow-ups to Jump-Shift ideas. :D
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

#11 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-26, 21:59

View Postmasse24, on 2012-July-26, 21:45, said:

But....you mention a 2NT "slow down", however, it has a different meaning than a Leb or Ingberman 2NT...yes?
A Jump-Shift is still a Game Force?

I play the jump shift to the 2 level as equal to a reverse with all of the above and only a jump shift to the 3 level as a pure game force. Not at all standard so we need a guy like Mike to write up something sensible.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#12 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2012-July-26, 22:18

There are precisely four jump shifts to the two-level. 1C-1D-2H, 1C-1D-2S, 1C-1H-2S, and 1D-1H-2S. In all four, the pressure requiring a reverse is gone, obviously, which is why the traditional meaning is GF. But, the non-GF sequence (non jump shift) carries a lot of weight. As power hands are rare, i like to dip down a tad to take some heat off the non jump.

Plus, the mere fact that the sequence is GF, if played that way, does not mean that all discussions are done, as slam and strrain issues are obviously present. Thus, i treat these sequences structurally as if a rreverse.

-P.J. Painter.

#13 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-July-26, 22:49

Others might conclude that since a jump shift to the 2-level is G.F. (if it is), then exploration for strain and level can be handled adequately via natural bidding. The 2NT "stall" is still useful, but includes fewer hands...none of which have support for opener's first suit.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#14 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-July-26, 23:01

3C looks obvious. This allows for low level investigation.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#15 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2012-July-27, 04:36

I like 4C: 4 trumps and slam interest. Knowing about the fourth trump could be big for partner.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#16 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-27, 05:27

Personally I like to use 2NT like a lebensohl even though the j/s is GF.

As for the hand shown I see absolutely no reason to go leaping to 4C. A simple 3C sets trump suit and allows the opening hand to continue telling about the hand they have. With the responders hand it would be very hard to stop short of slam, but I am going to know about the D control on the very next bid most of the time.

augahombre said it all.

#17 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-27, 15:11

I don't like 4C, I would bid 3C. I would like to hear another bid from partner, if it is 3D we will know our DQ is awesome

#18 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-27, 16:44

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-July-26, 11:30, said:

2S was the game force, so that is resolved for us. No space consuming jumping around by me is necessary. Partner will always have 5+clubs and be unbalanced in our style.

3C is just fine. Will cooperate with all control sequences/slam probes, and if partner doesn't start it off, I will pull 3nt to start one. Will even show the club queen I don't have, if asked.

this

#19 User is offline   masse24 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-29, 11:07

Same Topic....new hand:

The hand is really immaterial.
You may or may not agree with the initial 1 response.

What I am interested in is, what should the possible (3 level) rebids by responder show?

So...what is:

1.) 3
2.) 3
3.) 3
4.) 3NT

Thank you!

#20 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-29, 12:09

What system are you playing?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users