Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

LA - Third Event

#1 User is offline   schulken 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-July-24, 13:19

For those of you who have not read my caveat at LA - Second Event, please go back and do so. This is the second hand we ruled on.

2H shows that suit and more than minimum values.

Opening leader called to question the auction and the ability of N to continue bidding. There was no extraneous information during the auction. We were perplexed by S's 4 NT call (the pair play 1430), knowing what the answer had to be, unless S intended to continue the inquiry by bidding 5 NT or cue bidding. We concluded that S intended to sign off in 5. N had accurately described her hand as including extra values, but that did not give her the ability to continue to bid.

I'm less enamored with this ruling than the previous one. There was no extraneous information from partner, so there shouldn't be any damage to the opponents if N decides to continue to bid.

#2 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-July-24, 13:27

6 is a bad bid, but still allowed if there was no unauthorized information. If bad bids were against the laws, we would need a lot more directors (in fact, this very auction would have multiple infractions)

When adjusting the score, I think the director has a duty to identify a plausible source of UI. If there is none, table result should stand.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#3 User is offline   trevahound 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-July-24, 13:28

N's hand is AI. I suppose different folks have different styles for a 2c then 3d sequence, but stopping short of 6d isn't even vaguely a logical alternative in my partnerships. South could bid 5d, fold up his bid box and put it away and I'm still taking another call with N.

I am also confused about the UI here. I assume S maybe broke tempo prior to signing off in 5d?
"I suggest a chapter on "strongest dummy opposite my free bids." For example, someone might wonder how I once put this hand down as dummy in a spade contract: AQ10xxx void AKQxx KQ. Did I start with Michaels? Did I cuebid until partner was forced to pick one of my suits? No, I was just playing with Brian (6S made when the trump king dropped singleton)." David Wright

#4 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-24, 14:04

I don't understand, if they play 1430, it looks like neither of them thought it was keycard? Was it alerted as keycard? Did anyone ask if it was keycard?

When one player has bid `keycard' with all of them already, and their partner responds in the wrong suit anyway, its hard to believe that it was intended as keycard. It seems quite plausible that north thought south was making a slam try and suggesting NT, in which case the raise is hardly surprising.

Also, you need evidence of an infraction in order to adjust. I don't see any of that here.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#5 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-24, 14:22

There was no extraneous information from partner, so there shouldn't be any damage to the opponents if N decides to continue to bid.

You said it yourself. Table result stands.

If S had hesitated before 5D... well that's something different, but as phil_20686 pointed out you need to sort out the "what did 4NT mean" first.

ahydra

#6 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2012-July-24, 14:56

If there is not even an allegation that there was UI how can we adjust?

Were the potential offenders asked what they meant by 4NT / 5 / 5?

But if these calls are not alertable (above 3NT?) and no questions were asked, then where is the irregularity?
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#7 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-24, 15:53

As others have said, you have to have evidence of an infraction before you can rule there was one. Did anyone ask South why he bid 4NT, what 5 meant, and why he bid 5? One possibility (and like everyone else who's discussed these bids, I'm speculating) is that 5 shows the expected zero key cards, and 5 was intended as a queen ask.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#8 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-July-24, 17:27

Why was the TD called? Because E/W did not like N/S's bidding? I often don't like my opponents bidding but that doesn't give me the right to get a ruling.

No infraction, no adjustment, next case.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#9 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-25, 02:27

If the opponents called the TD just to say my bidding was bad without any UI, I might just ask the Director to apply a Law 74 penalty. This is certainly the kind of action that could cause annoyance or embarassment. There is also some potential UI - it is unlikely that West would summon the Director with good defensive values so there is a suggestion to their partner not to play them for too much.
(-: Zel :-)

#10 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-July-25, 03:31

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-July-24, 15:53, said:

As others have said, you have to have evidence of an infraction before you can rule there was one. Did anyone ask South why he bid 4NT, what 5 meant, and why he bid 5? One possibility (and like everyone else who's discussed these bids, I'm speculating) is that 5 shows the expected zero key cards, and 5 was intended as a queen ask.

Another alternative would be that over 4, 4 would be suggestion of a suit to play, 4 would be kickback, so 4N is spade cue, over this 5 is club cue, 5 says bid 6 with control so N does. Not saying I'm recommending this but unless you've asked you don't know.

#11 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2012-July-25, 04:13

View PostCyberyeti, on 2012-July-25, 03:31, said:

Another alternative would be that over 4, 4 would be suggestion of a suit to play, 4 would be kickback, so 4N is spade cue, over this 5 is club cue, 5 says bid 6 with control so N does. Not saying I'm recommending this but unless you've asked you don't know.

If North-South are ruled against without being asked about their bidding and they appeal and at the appeal they give a convincing (documented) explanation for their auction and there is still no evidence of unauthorised information, then the TD is not going to come out of this looking good.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#12 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-July-25, 05:12

View PostRMB1, on 2012-July-25, 04:13, said:

If North-South are ruled against without being asked about their bidding and they appeal and at the appeal they give a convincing (documented) explanation for their auction and there is still no evidence of unauthorised information, then the TD is not going to come out of this looking good.

Exactly. What I visualised was "What sort of Blackwood do you play ?", "4130" and not realising which bid was ace asking so 4N wasn't.

#13 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-July-25, 06:05

View PostCyberyeti, on 2012-July-25, 05:12, said:

Exactly. What I visualised was "What sort of Blackwood do you play ?", "4130" and not realising which bid was ace asking so 4N wasn't.

Perhaps 4 was Minorwood, 4NT shows 2 or 5 without Q, 5 asked for kings, and 5 denied any. Honestly though, if there's no UI and no MI, what basis can we have to rule against N-S? I stand by my earlier post that the only pair that could be ruled against on this board would be E-W. Perhaps the OP can provide some additional details as to why they apparently ruled against N-S here. On the face of it it appears to be a terrible ruling.
(-: Zel :-)

#14 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-25, 10:28

sorry to shout, but:

WITHOUT UI, THERE CAN BE NO LAW 16B RULING.

If E/W can't point to any UI from South, North can bid like an idiot if he likes, and if he comes out smelling like roses, well, fertilizer does occasionally ensue.

They are entitled to call the TD because something seems odd (and especially if they've been on the wrong end of a Hesitation Blackwood ruling, or heard the conventional wisdom that Thou Shalt Not Override Blackwooder's Decision Without The Higher Keycard Count), but the ruling is "did South do anything to give the implication that they weren't off two keys? Squirm, hesitate, whatever? No? No infraction, result stands."
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#15 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-July-25, 15:30

View Postmycroft, on 2012-July-25, 10:28, said:

sorry to shout, but:

WITHOUT UI, THERE CAN BE NO LAW 16B RULING.

If E/W can't point to any UI from South, North can bid like an idiot if he likes, and if he comes out smelling like roses, well, fertilizer does occasionally ensue.

They are entitled to call the TD because something seems odd (and especially if they've been on the wrong end of a Hesitation Blackwood ruling, or heard the conventional wisdom that Thou Shalt Not Override Blackwooder's Decision Without The Higher Keycard Count), but the ruling is "did South do anything to give the implication that they weren't off two keys? Squirm, hesitate, whatever? No? No infraction, result stands."

I think everybody agrees with you, I think we're just trying to work out why N bid 6 if the auction means what we think it means.

#16 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-July-25, 18:05

View PostCyberyeti, on 2012-July-25, 15:30, said:

I think everybody agrees with you, I think we're just trying to work out why N bid 6 if the auction means what we think it means.

Now there's one of the biggest wastes of time I have ever heard! :unsure:

Opponents have little ideas in their heads. Goodness knows where they get them from. Let them keep them.

The bad news is when partner starts copying them. :(
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#17 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-July-26, 00:11

Sometimes, instead of the proper logic: there was UI, it allowed them to get a good result, so we adjust

we have the alternate: there was an inexplicable auction, we search in vain for some excuse to adjust.

It doesn't come from the Laws, it comes from emotions.

#18 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-July-26, 05:07

View Postbarmar, on 2012-July-26, 00:11, said:

Sometimes, instead of the proper logic: there was UI, it allowed them to get a good result, so we adjust

we have the alternate: there was an inexplicable auction, we search in vain for some excuse to adjust.

It doesn't come from the Laws, it comes from emotions.

Not quite, some people just assume (often wrongly) that there was some body language they missed, and that "it is impossible to make that bid without UI" although they don't say that, hence looking for the justification. I think it's fair enough for a director if called to ask N why he bid 6, although there's nothing the TD can do unless N hangs himself with his answer.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users