BBO Discussion Forums: question about "VS. OPP's OPENING PREEMPTS" on Sayc card - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

question about "VS. OPP's OPENING PREEMPTS" on Sayc card

#1 User is offline   markyears 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-July-21, 22:57

Hi, I have another simple question about SAYC. On the card, there is a section with the title "VS. OPP's OPENING PREEMPTS" where both Takeout not checked. Could anybody explain the meaning of this part?

Here is the link of the card: http://web2.acbl.org...y/sayc_card.pdf

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-July-21, 23:15

I guess you have a choice there.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   markyears 

• PipPip

Posted 2012-July-21, 23:17

Well, so the default is not takeout? What is Dbl. 1s Wk 2s. btw? Thanks!

View PostVampyr, on 2012-July-21, 23:15, said:

#4 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-July-21, 23:26

The default is takeout, but maybe some people like to play penalty doubles, especially after opening 4-bids, and use something else for takeout.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#5 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-July-22, 03:04

Some people still play CMOBODOR
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#6 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-July-22, 18:11

View Postthe hog, on 2012-July-22, 03:04, said:

Some people still play CMOBODOR

umm.....

#7 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-July-22, 19:35

View PostVampyr, on 2012-July-21, 23:15, said:

Yes, that is the answer. That is the only area on the Yellow Card where the boxes are not already checked for you. Of course, in the normal world a double of a weak two or a weak three would be described as takeout. As the level of the bid increases, the double tends to become more general card-showing.

But, apparently they decided to let the players choose that one thing. If you agreed to play the yellow card in a strong individual tourney where the yellow card is required...or just agreed for convenience to play the yellow card with a good player, you could assume those doubles are takeout without looking.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#8 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-22, 20:12

The ACBL SAYC system booklet unambiguously states that double is takeout through 4d opening, and penalty of 4h+.

I would attribute the empty boxes on the actual card as just whoever was in charge of creating the card neglecting to erase the boxes. Just read it as "dbl is takeout" and imagine the box is not there.
Really old (20 years past?) ACBL convention cards had a columns of checkboxes, for takeout, optional, or penalty vs. 2 & 3 level preempts. It's pretty clear that the graphic designer just removed the "optional" and "penalty" columns and left the boxes for the takeout, and moved things around a bit. So takeout is intended. They just forgot to finish the job properly by checking the boxes or removing them completely.

Nowadays it's just takeout through ___ on the card. And I don't think anyone good plays penalty doubles (partner strongly encouraged to pass, as opposed to at least showing two-way values aka "optional") of 4h/4s anymore. (No good set partnership would ever agree to play SAYC verbatim IMO).

#9 User is offline   markyears 

• PipPip

Posted 2012-July-22, 20:53

View PostStephen Tu, on 2012-July-22, 20:12, said:

The ACBL SAYC system booklet unambiguously states that double is takeout through 4d opening, and penalty of 4h+.

Thx! I will treat it as typo. Thank all!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users