Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cuebid after splinter

#1 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-July-14, 18:34

What's the deal with the 4 bid and its explanation?

#2 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-14, 19:47

I see 4h says alot of points in h ..my guess is gib was stuck for a bid....

all in all not a big issue......tiny issue....

#3 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2012-July-14, 20:47

View Postmike777, on 2012-July-14, 19:47, said:

I see 4h says alot of points in h ..my guess is gib was stuck for a bid....

all in all not a big issue......tiny issue....

No, the description doesn't say "lots of points in hearts"; 8+ 8421HCP is a cuebid saying "I have first round control of hearts". He doesn't. That kind of thing is relevant in a cuebidding sequence.

#4 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2012-July-14, 21:23

View PostBbradley62, on 2012-July-14, 20:47, said:

No, the description doesn't say "lots of points in hearts"; 8+ 8421HCP is a cuebid saying "I have first round control of hearts". He doesn't. That kind of thing is relevant in a cuebidding sequence.

it does? ok if you say so..... ihad no idea I only see it says 8+ hcp...when it has zero hcp....in hearts

8+ hcp seems like "alot of hcp in hearts"

you have AKof hearts..how many hcp in h can north have? I dont see anything about it may have a void...so tiny issue....

what would prefer north to bid?

#5 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-14, 21:29

I think North should bid 5S- good hand in spades- no other aces. Honestly North should have bid 4S over the opening bid and then South can bid the 6 direct knowing North has a long set of good spades with little else cue values.

#6 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2012-July-14, 23:14

View Postmike777, on 2012-July-14, 21:23, said:

View PostBbradley62, on 2012-July-14, 20:47, said:

it does? ok if you say so..... ihad no idea I only see it says 8+ hcp...when it has zero hcp....in hearts

Are you really that dense or just pretending to be? Surely, after the number of posts you have made in the GIB forum you know how to read GIB's bidding explanations. The explanation of 4 does not say "8+ HCP in hearts"; it does say "8+ 8421 HCP in hearts". As is clearly explained in the GIB bidding documentation, "8421 HCP" is its method of identifying honors whereby A=8, K=4, Q=2, and J=1. As you point out (and as I implied in my original post) GIB will sometimes show the ace when he has a void and just consider it to be first-round control. I think it should not do that when it doesn't have first-round control.

#7 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2012-July-14, 23:38

View PostBbradley62, on 2012-July-14, 23:14, said:

Are you really that dense or just pretending to be? Surely, after the number of posts you have made in the GIB forum you know how to read GIB's bidding explanations. The explanation of 4 does not say "8+ HCP in hearts"; it does say "8+ 8421 HCP in hearts". As is clearly explained in the GIB bidding documentation, "8421 HCP" is its method of identifying honors whereby A=8, K=4, Q=2, and J=1. As you point out (and as I implied in my original post) GIB will sometimes show the ace when he has a void and just consider it to be first-round control. I think it should not do that when it doesn't have first-round control.

honest...i had no idea....but ok..if you say so.......

I really thought this was a tiny tiny issue regarding gib....

I really, honest, read this as 8+ hcp but you know better so I rest....

what should north bid?

#8 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2012-July-15, 11:38

I wonder whether 5 (instead of 4) would say:
* interest in slam
* not first-round control of hearts
* first-round control of clubs.

#9 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2015-July-13, 16:27

View Postmike777, on 2012-July-14, 23:38, said:

honest...i had no idea....but ok..if you say so.......

I really thought this was a tiny tiny issue regarding gib....

I really, honest, read this as 8+ hcp but you know better so I rest....

what should north bid?

Is not because Bbradley say so but because Bbradley reports the explanation of Gib in bidding and relative pointing (see Gib chart of system). With the occasion : 6 meaning is 1/3 keys and a void without indication of Q. I instead i have indicate (see RKB 3014) this my variation : 4NT-5(=1/4), 5(=query for Q)-5NT(=yes Q plus a void), 6.(Lovera)

#10 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-13, 17:51

My comments:

Why 4D? Isn't 3D a splinter over the interference? Might make it easier by saving a level of space. It would be better if 4D were either specifically undefined, or showed a void. But I still prefer to start at 3D and bid 4D later with the void. It would be an overall improvement if some descriptions clearly said "this call has no meaning in the system" rather than just restating the values required for the previous bid, as is the current practice.

There is clearly no good bid for this hand using the GIB CC. I give GIB credit for recognizing that the hand is worth at least a slam try, and that BW would not be helpful with the C void. Not to mention that the SK is irrelevant! I suppose 5C is better but you are asking a lot of GIB here.

But if it starts 1C - P - 1S - Dbl, 3D now partner can cue 4C, you cue 4H and partner knows there is a small slam but no grand. Would GIB bid it that way? Did any other table start with the lower splinter?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users