• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

bad popular game at MPs

#1 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-July-10, 05:18

LHO leads 5 (4th best) opponents unknown but probably advanced wich minor should you tackle first playing MPs?

#2 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-10, 05:38

I'd play clubs at trick two. The finesse is better odds than the 3-3 diamond break and I go down fewer when the diamonds are not favourable. I think the auction and first trick will mean that they will almost always play spades when they get in, so exposing the likely spade weakness through club strength is not an issue.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2012-July-10, 05:43

I must be missing something. Since to me this looks like a textbook example of combining the chances. Test the diamonds and if they don't break, try the club finesse.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2012-July-10, 05:52

+ 1 for Helene_t

#5 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-10, 06:08

View Posthelene_t, on 2012-July-10, 05:43, said:

I must be missing something. Since to me this looks like a textbook example of combining the chances. Test the diamonds and if they don't break, try the club finesse.

If that were the "right" answer then Fluffy would not have posted the hand. Since this is on the forums we can surmise that the trick here is probably to get out for fewer undertricks than the rest. Of course Fluffy might just be playing games with us but I am pretty confident that he would have found this line. If playing on clubs before diamonds really is good MP play then it just reinforces the "MP is not real bridge" argument I hear from time to time (one of the best players in the local club said this to me only Saturday).
(-: Zel :-)

#6 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-10, 06:28

Against a lot of opponents can we not combine our chances by looking for a count signal on the first 2 rounds of (or even the first round)?

#7 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2012-July-10, 06:38

hmm Poul's plan beats mine when the club finesse is on and the diamonds break. (Poul 13, Helene 9).

Poul's plan beats mine when the club finesse if off and the diamonds don't break (Poul 8, Helene 7).

My plan wins when the diamonds break and the K is stiff offside (Poul 8, Helene 13).

My plan wins when the diamonds break and the club finesse is off (Poul 8, Helene 9).

We are equal when the diamonds don't break and the club finesse is on (Poul 11, Helene 11).

Poul wins more often than I do so maybe he is right.

But even at MP my plan could still be best if a substantial part of the field is in a different contract, or get a spade lead.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#8 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-10, 06:44

View Posthelene_t, on 2012-July-10, 06:38, said:

But even at MP my plan could still be best if a substantial part of the field is in a different contract, or get a spade lead.

In this specific case it does look like a normal contract and even the weak notrumpers auction, 1NT-3NT, is liable to get the same lead.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#9 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-10, 06:48

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-July-10, 06:08, said:

If that were the "right" answer then Fluffy would not have posted the hand. Since this is on the forums we can surmise that the trick here is probably to get out for fewer undertricks than the rest. Of course Fluffy might just be playing games with us but I am pretty confident that he would have found this line. If playing on clubs before diamonds really is good MP play then it just reinforces the "MP is not real bridge" argument I hear from time to time (one of the best players in the local club said this to me only Saturday).

Admittedly it sounds weird but after some crude number crunching, I think hooking the club first does gain more often. At the table I might spend a few moments observing the ops, the guy with the K may be a bit more tense.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#10 User is offline   marcD 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-July-10, 07:07

i would have to trust a lot my table presence not to play on clubs at trick 2 : basically playing on diamonds trying to combine chances is better at mp about 20% of the times (dia 3-3 + k club offside ) while we seem to play the field contract and i have no reason to believe that the heart lead is not normal

#11 User is offline   dkham 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-July-10, 07:08

I'd play diamonds first just to try and make the contract. Other tables may have got a spade lead.

#12 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-July-10, 07:28

View Postbillw55, on 2012-July-10, 06:48, said:

At the table I might spend a few moments observing the ops, the guy with the K may be a bit more tense.

This is illegal according to most interpretations of the laws.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#13 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-10, 09:01

View Postpaulg, on 2012-July-10, 06:44, said:

In this specific case it does look like a normal contract and even the weak notrumpers auction, 1NT-3NT, is liable to get the same lead.

Maybe it went 1-2N-3N at some other tables.

Maybe opening leader has equal length in the majors and guessed wrong this time.

They have 8 spades and 7 hearts, maybe opening leader made a poor opening lead choice for whatever reason.

#14 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-10, 10:13

View Postgwnn, on 2012-July-10, 07:28, said:

This is illegal according to most interpretations of the laws.

Really? Which laws and whose interpretations? I know that I cannot look at how they sort their cards or where they pull them from, but I thought that ordinary behavioral clues are entirely AI.
-gwnn

#15 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2012-July-10, 10:22

Behavioral clues are AI, but specifically looking for them is illegal.

74C5 "looking intently at any other player during the auction and play, or at another player’s hand as for the purpose of seeing his cards or of observing the place from which he draws a card (but it is appropriate to act on information acquired by unintentionally seeing an opponent’s card*)."

A longish thread, http://www.bridgebas...s-with-screens/ ... What "intently" really means is not really established.

edit: I overplayed my hand with my first post but still something to keep in mind.
      George Carlin

#16 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-July-10, 11:11

View Postgwnn, on 2012-July-10, 10:22, said:

A longish thread, http://www.bridgebas...s-with-screens/ ... What "intently" really means is not really established.

I don't think that's a fair summary of the discussion. The meaning of "intently" was already known to almost everyone who participated in the discussion. A small number of people argued that it meant the same as "intentionally", but they were beaten into silence by English-speakers wielding dictionaries.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#17 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2012-July-10, 11:41

Playing Clubs first is clear cut.

If the club finesse is on it doesnt matter what you do unless a fairly big misdefense 50%

If the club finesse is off and D break 16%.

If the club finesse is off and D dont break 34% its costing you an extra under trick in almost all the case (even if S are 5-3 and they lead S at the other table).

So you need more that 50% of people not in the same contract or not getting the same lead to even think about maximizing making the contract at hte cost of 1/2 odds of getting a bad MP score.

Here many people will be in 3Nt and even if they got a S lead maximizing the odds of making the contract doesnt compensate twice the odds of the extra undertrick
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#18 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2012-July-10, 11:43

View Postgnasher, on 2012-July-10, 11:11, said:

I don't think that's a fair summary of the discussion. The meaning of "intently" was already known to almost everyone who participated in the discussion. A small number of people argued that it meant the same as "intentionally", but they were beaten into silence by English-speakers wielding dictionaries.

Some people argued that intently is intentionally, some others argued that it means 'for a long time' and some others sait that it is eagerly. I think spending a few moments with the sole purpose of observing which opponent is more nervous comes dangerously close to 'intently' either way.
      George Carlin

#19 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-10, 11:56

View Postgwnn, on 2012-July-10, 11:43, said:

Some people argued that intently is intentionally, some others argued that it means 'for a long time' and some others sait that it is eagerly. I think spending a few moments with the sole purpose of observing which opponent is more nervous comes dangerously close to 'intently' either way.

To me, looking "intently" implies an abnormally high level of attention. I don't think a casual glance of perhaps 2-3 seconds rises to this level.

I know we have directors here, have you ever ruled on a situation of this type?
-gwnn

#20 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2012-July-10, 11:58

Sorry for derailing your thread Fluffy.
      George Carlin

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users