• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

xyz, 2/1 if it matters...

#1 User is offline   rduran1216 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-July-13, 19:49

holding a 4333 13 count, after the auction 1c p 1H p ?

Does it matter if values are scattered, or is this always a 1s/1nt call?
Aaron Jones Unit 557

www.longbeachbridge.com

#2 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2012-July-13, 20:27

View Postrduran1216, on 2012-July-13, 19:49, said:

holding a 4333 13 count, after the auction 1c p 1H p ?

Does it matter if values are scattered, or is this always a 1s/1nt call?

I rebid 1NT with this shape, count. Always would seem to be the word I would apply to my choice.
--Ben--

#3 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-13, 21:13

99% of the time I will rebid 1NT. The other 1% of the time, I have 12 or all 13 of my HCP in Clubs and Spades.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#4 User is offline   rduran1216 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-13, 21:25

how do u cope with missing a 4-4 spade fit when partner has a 44xx minimum?
Aaron Jones Unit 557

www.longbeachbridge.com

#5 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2012-July-13, 22:37

View Postrduran1216, on 2012-July-13, 21:25, said:

I play in 1NT.
--Ben--

#6 User is offline   Yu18772 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-13, 23:27

View Postrduran1216, on 2012-July-13, 21:25, said:

I think if you rebid 1NT that means you decided that 4-4 spade fit is not something you are looking for, the choice between 1NT and 1S is exactly that decision.
Posted ImageYu
Yehudit Hasin

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

#7 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-July-14, 01:48

I would bid 1NT only if the honor structure is notrump oriented and it looks notrump should be played from my side. My diamond holding may be vulnerable.
Most of the time I bid 1 and can not remember ever having a problem with it and I rather prefer to find my 4-4 fits in spades than in clubs.
Forcing restrictions on the cheapest available bid to reduce its occurrence is a sure sign of a flawed system design.

Rainer Herrmann

#8 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-14, 03:16

Missing the 4-4 spade fit is the price you pay for getting a lead into your 4 card spade suit when you don't have a fit. On probability grounds, I think the latter is more likely. Also 1NT is more likely to buy the contract than 2 when you do find the spade fit with a less than invitational values. Another advantage, using this style, the 1 rebid promises a real club suit.

#9 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-14, 09:22

Playing matchpoints I would rather find the spade fit, so it would be a weak spade holding that enticed me to bid 1NT.

In fact transfer walsh in the spade/NT inversion style probably has the best way on this hand. 1 1! 1!, then if responder has 4 spades he bids 1NT for you to bid 2, or else bids 1! for you to bid 1NT.

#10 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-14, 09:25

View Postmikestar13, on 2012-July-14, 03:16, said:

... Also 1NT is more likely to buy the contract than 2 when you do find the spade fit with a less than invitational values.

Not sure I agree here. When both opponents have passed, a bid of 3m over 2 is not likely.

#11 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-July-15, 23:08

The world will not end if we play 1N with a 44 spade fit with one hand 4333.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#12 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-15, 23:09

This is clearly a partnership style issue. I think it is probably more important that you know partner's style than what it is. That said, I'm in the 100% 1nt camp.

#13 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-July-16, 07:04

View PostYu18772, on 2012-July-13, 23:27, said:

I think if you rebid 1NT that means you decided that 4-4 spade fit is not something you are looking for, the choice between 1NT and 1S is exactly that decision.

Not really. The decision is between rebidding to show hand type and showing suits "up the line" irrespective of hand type. For those rebidding 1NT, a 1 rebid would show real clubs and an unbalanced hand. While this is a potential loss opposite a minimum 44xx, most players believe that the overall gains from this approach more than compensate. Much of the time 4333 opposite 44xx will play for the same number of tricks in NT as spades anyway.
(-: Zel :-)

#14 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-16, 07:26

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-July-16, 07:04, said:

Not really. The decision is between rebidding to show hand type and showing suits "up the line" irrespective of hand type. For those rebidding 1NT, a 1 rebid would show real clubs and an unbalanced hand. While this is a potential loss opposite a minimum 44xx, most players believe that the overall gains from this approach more than compensate. Much of the time 4333 opposite 44xx will play for the same number of tricks in NT as spades anyway.

While there can be benefits in having the ability to show an unbalanced hand, I think your last sentence may not hold true. Opponents have an 8 card fit to lead, and unless partner is strong in general values, I would expect a spade contract to score better. You may be 4333, but partner will be ruffing the second or third round.

#15 User is offline   mikl_plkcc 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:sailing, bridge

Posted 2012-July-19, 06:08

I always rebid 1 in order not to miss 4-4 fits. In my system, bidding 1NT denies the ability to bid 1 of a major up-the-line.

#16 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2012-July-19, 08:47

Underlining this point. When you rebid 1NT with this type of a hand, you gain when you do bid 1 by promising clubs. Bidding 1 with this hand leaves clubs unknown. Granted, there may be something to be said for focusing on the potential spade fit rather than focusing on assuring that clubs are known to be real, but some (like me) want to focus general hand pattern and real clubs more.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#17 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-21, 02:27

View Postkenrexford, on 2012-July-19, 08:47, said:

Underlining this point. When you rebid 1NT with this type of a hand, you gain when you do bid 1 by promising clubs. Bidding 1 with this hand leaves clubs unknown. Granted, there may be something to be said for focusing on the potential spade fit rather than focusing on assuring that clubs are known to be real, but some (like me) want to focus general hand pattern and real clubs more.

The losses are obvious.
Whenever you have a 4-4 fit and responder has less than 11 HCP you are a heavy favorite to play the wrong part-score. This is frequent and looks to me like folly.
There are even a few hands where responder will pass 1NT, yet responder would invite over 1 and opener would accept and reach a good game.

The claimed gains are much harder to visualize. Yes, responder may have an easier rebid, when he knows that 1 promises s and in rare cases he might choose the superior partial.
But apart from that, the claimed gains look to me infrequent and elusive. It would really be nice to get some illustrative deals from the proponents for this approach. I never see them.
In general if responder is weak it is far more likely that the additional information assigned to the 1 rebid will help good opponents in bidding and in the play.

To make it very clear, it is not that I consider clubs and hand pattern unimportant. But why should the cheapest bid in a major at the one level be narrowed down?
There is life after 1 to show real clubs and all that. There are after all gadgets like XYZ, which give opener plenty of room to describe his hand further should a strong responder need to know.

Rainer Herrmann

#18 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-July-21, 03:48

View Postrhm, on 2012-July-21, 02:27, said:

The losses are obvious.
Whenever you have a 4-4 fit and responder has less than 11 HCP you are a heavy favorite to play the wrong part-score. This is frequent and looks to me like folly.

In my experience it's not that frequent. On the hands where we have a fit and the points are evenly divided, the opponents will often have bid something already.

But apart from that, the claimed gains look to me infrequent and elusive. It would really be nice to get some illustrative deals from the proponents for this approach. I never see them.

Equally nobody ever provides real-life deals that support bidding 1. I suspect that the gains of both methods are fairly infrequent.

There is life after 1 to show real clubs and all that. There are after all gadgets like XYZ, which give opener plenty of room to describe his hand further should a strong responder need to know.

That in itself is a cost. If bidding 1 on balanced hands means that you have to use 2 as artificial, you can no longer use it as a natural bid.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#19 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-21, 03:54

View Postrhm, on 2012-July-14, 01:48, said:

Forcing restrictions on the cheapest available bid to reduce its occurrence is a sure sign of a flawed system design.

FWIW, sentences like this are why I usually never read your posts on bidding topics. There are other goals in an auction than exchanging a maximum amount of information.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#20 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-21, 05:55

View Postcherdano, on 2012-July-21, 03:54, said:

FWIW, sentences like this are why I usually never read your posts on bidding topics. There are other goals in an auction than exchanging a maximum amount of information.

What are they please in a constructive auction?
Maybe you can be a bit more specific and more to the point of the goals of this particular sequence.
Cant is a very poor substitute for arguments.

Rainer Herrmann

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users