Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Portland Bowl Board 29 Play 6S

#1 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-April-25, 12:27

The Portland Bowl is an annual EBU university event. This year's winners were Southampton A team who triumphed by 2 IMPS over Oxford A in a very closely fought final; congratulations to them. Swings all over the place but the scores remained close to tied throughout the 48 board match. Here is an interesting play problem in 6S:

6S, declarer West, lead T. NS silent in the bidding, except on one table where
Spoiler

If you play on trumps:
Spoiler

'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#2 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-25, 12:43

I would try to bring in trumps and if that failed I'd hope the HQ dropped. Ace of spade, spade when the layout is revealed I'd duck. Say they play back a club. I'd win, play the HAK. If south dropped the HQ pull trumps and hook the heart and claim. If north dropped it, cash a club pitching a diamond, ruff a diamond, pull trumps, hope it all lived. I guess north should come back a trump, that messes with my entries to test for Qx of hearts with south.

So basically, I'd take a finesse, then hope for some luck. Very non expert line on a hand like this I know.

edit: sorry I didn't see that south doubled clubs. You say on one table, should I be playing assuming south had doubled clubs or not? It is in spoilers and unclear.

This post has been edited by JLOGIC: 2012-April-25, 12:45

#3 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-25, 12:59

View PostJLOGIC, on 2012-April-25, 12:43, said:

edit: sorry I didn't see that south doubled clubs. You say on one table, should I be playing assuming south had doubled clubs or not? It is in spoilers and unclear.

Apologies. I'm never quite sure on spoiler etiquette, but I thought I'd provide all the information that one of the declarers received. Feel free to say if/how the double changes your line.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#4 User is offline   dave_w 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-May-01, 21:26

I think one should test Hearts before playing on trumps. After AK, no Queen has dropped you'll have to bring in the trumps. If South drops the Queen then cash the K and then A (if the T falls then run the Jack to retain control). If North drops the Q then A, finesse the 9 (to retain control in case trumps are 4-1).

If the Heart Queen hasn't dropped then I take the Spade finesse. Cash the Clubs (pitching a Heart) and then exit in Hearts and play for split Diamond honours.

This line seems to work when:
Q is doubleton
OR
Q is onside and Diamond honours are split (minus some for when Hearts are 5-1 and a Heart honour got ruffed).

#5 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-02, 00:51

View Postbroze, on 2012-April-25, 12:59, said:

Apologies. I'm never quite sure on spoiler etiquette, but I thought I'd provide all the information that one of the declarers received. Feel free to say if/how the double changes your line.

To avoid confusion about what people are responding to, I would present the problem as two separate problems, eg:
(1) How do you play on an uncontested auction?
(2) How would you play if South had doubled 5?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#6 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-02, 01:05

View Postdave_w, on 2012-May-01, 21:26, said:

I think one should test Hearts before playing on trumps. After AK, no Queen has dropped you'll have to bring in the trumps. If South drops the Queen then cash the K and then A (if the T falls then run the Jack to retain control). If North drops the Q then A, finesse the 9 (to retain control in case trumps are 4-1).

If the Heart Queen hasn't dropped then I take the Spade finesse. Cash the Clubs (pitching a Heart) and then exit in Hearts and play for split Diamond honours.

After AK, A, succesful spade finesse, it would be a good idea to just claim your twelve winners.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#7 User is offline   dave_w 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-May-02, 05:32

View Postgnasher, on 2012-May-02, 01:05, said:

After AK, A, succesful spade finesse, it would be a good idea to just claim your twelve winners.

I think that's a large improvement on my line :-)

#8 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-09, 11:12

Just realised I never actually posted the full deal for this hand so for the sake of posterity here it is:

Justin's line:

View PostJLOGIC, on 2012-April-25, 12:43, said:

Ace of spade, spade when the layout is revealed I'd duck. Say they play back a club. I'd win, play the HAK. If south dropped the HQ pull trumps and hook the heart and claim. If north dropped it, cash a club pitching a diamond, ruff a diamond, pull trumps, hope it all lived.

...fails because North can ruff the club. Which is why I wondered what the correct line might be if South does indeed double a keycard response at any point.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users