BBO Discussion Forums: Spadeberry Jam - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Spadeberry Jam

#1 User is offline   daveharty 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, juggling, disc sports, Jane Austen, writing, cosmology, and Mexican food

Posted 2012-July-07, 17:20

Matchpoints. Best call?
Revised Bridge Personality: 44 43 33 44

Dianne, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies... --Agent Dale Cooper

#2 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-July-07, 17:31

Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#3 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-07, 18:42

4N if it shows a good 5m bid. If it doesn't show that I'd just bid 6C

#4 User is offline   perko90 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-07, 20:30

Let's see, ptr didn't do a support double or anything to indicate Hearts is in play, which would point more toward having a pure 5-5+ 2-suiter.
All I need is a skeleton of the following in ptr's hand for it to be Yahtzee:

x
Kx
AKxxx
Kxxxx

And knowing ptr has even more to justify the jump, I'm bidding 6.

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-08, 02:48

View PostTWO4BRIDGE, on 2012-July-07, 17:31, said:

Huh ??

Wouldn't you bid 5 with

xx
KQxx
xx
Qxxxx

?

Forget about 6, i am concerned about grand if pd has 6-5 and enough keycards.(though i have no idea how to bid some of those grands)

Ax
void
AKxxxx
KQxxx

A
x
AKQxxx
KJxxx
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   dkham 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-09, 06:02

I wasn't thinking about slam until I saw the other posts - was happy with 5.

#7 User is offline   daveharty 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, juggling, disc sports, Jane Austen, writing, cosmology, and Mexican food

Posted 2012-July-09, 12:03

Here's the full board:

Surprisingly (to me) nobody found the easy grand. I won't print our auction because my partner has forbidden it... :P But it seems like it should be reachable after either 5C from West over 4S (maybe 5S now from East?) or after Justin's 4NT showing a good 5m bid. Do you think East should go on over a direct 6C bid? That seems tough to me.

Dianne, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies... --Agent Dale Cooper

#8 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-09, 13:28

You think that 7 is reachable when West makes a non-foricng 5 bid, but not if he jumps to slam?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#9 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-09, 13:54

Grands are hard to bid to begin with. Voids and preemption add to the difficulty. So here I would tend to be satisfied with a small slam contract.

I would pick 4NT and expect it to show a good fit and slam aspiration, but a lack of spade control.

This might make an interesting problem from partner's point of view, if LHO now comes up with 6 :o
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#10 User is offline   perko90 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-09, 15:04

I think it's reasonable for East to think that ptr has 2 A's after a jump to 6, but even then, it's impossible to know if they are the right A's. I wouldn't risk a voluntary 7 gamble. With the known wild distributions, there's already an expectation of scores being scattered about and 6 - even if it makes 7 - should have a good chance to beat the majority of the field.
Now if the opponents pushed me (where you expect 6X to be a bad board), a 7 gamble looks more attractive. It could even make missing the A if they don't cash it right away. But even then, you'd have to be convinced that the majority of pairs are in 6. -50 can be a very lonely feeling when you are cold for only 12 tricks.

As an aside, I'm with gnasher. Is East really going to make a 5 cuebid over a 5 bid (committing to 6 and hoping for 7)?!?
ptr is much more likely to have:
Ax
Qxx
JTx
xxxxx
or worse than to have underbid w/ the perfect 2 A's.
If East takes any action over 5, it should be a direct 6 and not give away to opp's that a spade lead is bad or suggest that a spade sac might be needed/profitable.

#11 User is offline   daveharty 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-09, 15:58

View Postgnasher, on 2012-July-09, 13:28, said:

You think that 7 is reachable when West makes a non-foricng 5 bid, but not if he jumps to slam?

That's the really weird thing about this hand, I think. Once East hears 5C (or 4NT) from partner, I think it's totally reasonable to play West for one of the two useful aces, and if he's going to bid 6C, it can't hurt to bid 5S on the way (aside from tipping the opps about the lead, which isn't trivial of course). But if West bids 6C directly, I'm not sure what East should do.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users