• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A matter of style or just wrong? 1m 1M 2M

#1 User is offline   Phil352 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-July-03, 16:26

So my partner and I have a severe disagreement over the non-competitive auctions 1m 1M 2M

What hand shapes do you raise to 2M with only 3 card support? Does it change depending on relative strength of suits? Does it change depending on MPs vs IMPS?

We had the auction

1 1
2 2!
3?

Can this 3 diamond bid show only 3 hearts? is it possible that 3D actually shows only 3H and not 4 or can a x45x hand be possible?

I had

xx
Jxx
KQJxxx
Ax

Should this rebid 2D or 2H? All views welcome!

#2 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-July-03, 16:50

I don't mind a style where the raise promises four or an unbalanced hand with three. I also don't mind a style where it can be a balanced hand with three card support and a low doubleton outside.

I think it's OK to bid 2 with a 2362 shape, but not with Jxx and KQJxxx. This will play well in diamonds even opposite a singleton, but 2 in a 4-3 fit will often be poor.

The meaning of 1-1;2-2;3 is a matter of agreement.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#3 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-03, 17:06

strongly prefer 2d not 2h, not close.

assume 2s is a game try and 3d is a counter game try, agrees hearts.

#4 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2012-July-03, 17:58

Yeah, rebid 2D. Seems perfectly normal, if P bids again you can support hearts.

I prefer a style where you raise on 3 only with a difficult bidding problem otherwise. For example:

S: x
H: Kxx
D: KJxxx
C: KJxx

1NT is a bit of a joke, 2S is of course out, not hugely enthused to rebid diamonds, leaving me with 2C or 2H.

#5 User is offline   the_clown 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-July-03, 18:14

2, I wouldnt bid 2 in a milion years.

#6 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-03, 20:38

with this shape 2 is fine and many people play 2 (or 2NT over 2) as an enquiry to determine what type of raise you hold.

on this occasion though the diamond suit is too good relative to the heart suit.

#7 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-03, 21:13

2362 minimums should be bidding 2 AT LEAST 95% of the time. When you have a good 6-card suit, rebid 2 EVERY TIME. Once you agree on Hearts as trump, you are stuck in playing Hearts, or rarely playing in NT. So 3 after you bid 2 and partner makes a game try is saying no for Spades (assuming natural), but I have too much to just sign-off.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#8 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-03, 21:36

Some styles are bad

#9 User is offline   perko90 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-03, 22:45

2. gnasher said it best.

#10 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-03, 23:30

In general, I like raising on 3 card support with a minimum unbalanced hand, but here, the only reason you opened this hand was the good suit, so you have to rebid it to let partner know. If you do play a style where opener frequently raises on 3, then in response to the asking bid, opener's bid below 3M should show 3 cards in the major; while higher bids promise 4. So in your sequence, if you have chosen to raise on a 2362 hand, then 3 shows that sort of hand (3 would show something like 1354; 2NT something like 4351). With a x45y hand you bid 3 if minimum for your raise, and something higher if not-minimum.

#11 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-July-04, 02:31

How you play this depends on which system you are using. For example, in SEF or Forum D you never raise with 3 card support here. For the Anglo-American style, gnasher seems to have pretty much summed up the main options. On the given hand I prefer 2 to 2 and 2NT to 3.
(-: Zel :-)

#12 User is offline   Phil352 

• PipPip

Posted 2012-July-04, 03:09

Fair enough this seems pretty conclusive. I probably should have mentioned that we were playing a weak NT and so 2353 hands are automatically discounted. When I play strong NT with another partner we frequently bid 2M with 3 card support and a small doubleton as gnasher suggested.

Am I right in thinking most people are looking at playing in the best/safest partscore rather than trying to help partner make a decision about borderline games where we have a double fit? For example would you expect partner to move again on eg. xxx KQxxxx Ax Qx? I guess he could bid 3?

#13 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2012-July-04, 07:11

Raising on a 3 card is quite alright when the alternatives are not appealing. I haven't had many issues after a 3 card raise when we avoided the following situatons:
- 1NT with a weak doubleton
- 2m on a 5 card suit (example 1c-1s-2c with 3-1-4-5)
- poor 6 card suit

The OP's hand has a good 6 card suit, so just do the normal thing and rebid 2d. Swap DK for HK and I'd probably raise.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#14 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-04, 08:53

View PostPhil352, on 2012-July-04, 03:09, said:

For example would you expect partner to move again on eg. xxx KQxxxx Ax Qx? I guess he could bid 3?

I wouldn't think of passing 2. I wouldn't pass any rebid by opener (well, maybe 5).

#15 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-04, 10:40

Wow playing weak NT makes raising so much worse too. That was pretty relevant info.

#16 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-04, 10:44

I never raise on 3 card support unless I have a singleton or void outside, so 2 rebid always on this hand. You can always support hearts later if needed. I like partner to be able to rely on this when he makes his next bid.

Apart from style, if 1 is unlimied, you seem to be giving up the idea of a diamond slam if you do bid 2. Partner will never know your diamonds are so good.

After the 2, 3 would confirm only 3 card support.

#17 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-04, 11:09

It's really important to have agreements about this. There are definite advantages to raising often with three-card support, but a lot of them will be negated if partner does things like blast 4M on indifferent four-card suits in this auction. It's also good to discuss how you explore further after the raise (i.e. after 1-1-2 is 2 natural or an asking bid? does it set hearts or are other trump suits possible? if natural, is it a "help suit try" or always 4?). Without these discussions I would raise much less often on three than I do in my regular partnerships.

With suitable style agreements, I like to raise on three a lot, and will raise on three with 2-3-6-2 shape pretty often. However, this particular hand is all about the diamonds and you really should repeat them. I think the main consideration on this hand type is whether you would rather play a 6-1 diamond fit or a 4-3 heart fit (i.e. the worst fit likely in each suit). With such robust diamonds I think the choice is obvious. On a diamond suit like Axxxxx or even AKxxxx and a higher heart honor (or if the diamonds are downright lousy), the choice can easily go the other way.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#18 User is offline   Phil352 

• PipPip

Posted 2012-July-04, 11:13

Justin how does playing weak nt make it worse? If anything surely it makes it easier for partner to know what to do since some hand types are automatically discounted?

#19 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2012-July-04, 11:20

View PostPhil352, on 2012-July-03, 16:26, said:

So my partner and I have a severe disagreement over the non-competitive auctions 1m 1M 2M
What hand shapes do you raise to 2M with only 3 card support? Does it change depending on relative strength of suits? Does it change depending on MPs vs IMPS?
We had the auction
1 1
2 2!
3?
Can this 3 diamond bid show only 3 hearts? is it possible that 3D actually shows only 3H and not 4 or can a x45x hand be possible?
I agree with Phil352 that
  • It is a good idea to raise with three cards on some hands.
  • Assuming that possibility in this auction then it seems natural to use 3 to admit to a 3-card raise.

View PostPhil352, on 2012-July-03, 16:26, said:

I had xx Jxx KQJxxx Ax
Should this rebid 2D or 2H? All views welcome!
IMO 2 = 10, 2 = 9. Decision is close.

#20 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-04, 13:13

View PostPhil352, on 2012-July-04, 11:13, said:

Justin how does playing weak nt make it worse? If anything surely it makes it easier for partner to know what to do since some hand types are automatically discounted?

It depends. Do you play:

(1) Weak NT with 5-card majors;
(2) Weak NT with 4-card majors, but opening the lower of two 4-card suits; or
(3) Weak NT with 4-card majors, but opening the major before the minor?

I expect that Justin's answer was assuming (1).

If you play (1) or (2), then a sequence like 1-1-2 is consistent with 15-16 balanced and therefore has a stronger upper limit than the same sequence playing 5-card majors and a strong NT (when the typical hand type for this sequence is a weak NT). Therefore, playing (1) or (2), you don't also want to be raising to 2 on unbalanced hands which are relatively weak for playing in hearts. Otherwise, how does partner know when to make a game try?

If you play (3), then yes you could agree that 1-1-2 is often a minimum 3-card raise.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users