BBO Discussion Forums: 3 of a minor over their strong NT - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 of a minor over their strong NT

#1 User is offline   kayin801 

• Modern Day Trebuchet Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-July-07, 14:31

What ranges do people play for (1NT)-3m and (1NT)-P-(P)-3m? How do you change it with vul? If you don't have 2C available for a club suit, (or 2D available for a diamond suit), how does that affect your ranges?

Thanks in advance for your input/data.
I once yelled at my partner for discarding the 'wrong' card when he was subjected to a squeeze that I allowed by giving the wrong count with too high a card. Now he's allowed to pitch aces when the opponents have the king in the dummy. At trick 2. When he could have followed suit. And blame me.

East4Evil sohcahtoa 4ever!!!!!1

#2 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2012-July-07, 18:24

Mine look very much like my 3m openers. At favorable, KQJxxx and out is the classic hand.Ive been known to stretch and do that anyway with neither vul. Unfavorable it is a sound 7-card suit. The range extends at least an ace beyond that - hands that I would open 4m at favorable or equal I probably only overcall 3m with.

If I am playing DONT or Capp, it tends to be only the Axx Axx QTxxxx x type hands where I bail out in 2D. Whether I have a way to play 2C or 2D has very little to do with my 3m range, I am going to apply pressure and take up bidding space if I have a hand to justify it. Especially if it is going to take an extra round of bidding to sign off at 2m.

Will be curious what others do. I seem to get a lot of pickup partners who mumble something about why I went to the 3-level instead of just showing a 1-suited hand. But it can't possibly right to go slow and give the opps 2 or 3 chances to make use of doubles and passes and the choice between immediate and delayed action, as well as all their usual system toys.

#3 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-July-08, 10:05

I don't have any way of overcalling 2m (what's the point?) but I have two ways of overcalling 3m - we play an immediate 3m as pre-emptive, and 2NT to show a good overcall i.e. one where partner is invited to bid 3NT.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users