BBO Discussion Forums: Sectional A/X Swiss hand 2 - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sectional A/X Swiss hand 2 Should you bid here?

Poll: Sectional A/X Swiss hand 2 (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Your call

1. Pass (3 votes [18.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

2. 3H (7 votes [43.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 43.75%

3. 3S (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. 3nt (1 votes [6.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

5. 4d (4 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

6. 5d (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. other (1 votes [6.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-July-01, 22:48

Teams favorable. You and your partner play that 2 is natural over a short 1, so this sounds like a power double with diamonds. How do you evaluate your hand now and what's your call?

#2 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-02, 00:29

3h as usual with tough hands I will x or cue.

later in the bar I willexplain how my bid perfectly shows my hand :)

#3 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2012-July-02, 10:37

4 - I'll show pard the fit, but with everyone bidding and holding a rather flat hand, I'm not so sure how many tricks we can take.
Partner needs an unusual hand for game to make.

#4 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-02, 10:42

dont see why pard cant have:

xxx...A.......AKxxxx...Axx or more

#5 User is offline   rogerclee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-02, 13:26

3H, I will pass 3N and bid 5D otherwise.

#6 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-02, 17:10

our 5 diamonds makes me rule out the possiblity of p having a strong
hand with diamonds. There are two basic hand types that generally
fit this bidding one is a super strong black suit 2 suiter and the other
is a hand with running clubs a dia stopper a spade stopper but no
heart stopper. The second type of hand wants to play 3n. We cannot
do that and IMO a 3h bid would show a partial stopper. We have
2 problems 1 we are not broke and 2 we have no good fit. We would love
to play 4s if p has the strong 2 suiter but if we bid 4s there is no guarantee
p looking at the long clubs might play US for long spades. If we were broke
I would consider 3s but as it is i will hazard a

4h

bid hoping p realizes I am not broke and have no strong opinions about trumps (and
no semblance of a heart stopper).

If p bids 4s I can pass happily and if they bid 5c I will do the same. This would be
a much more irritating problem if i were not long in dia.

#7 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-04, 17:25

So this is paired with hand 5. I was curious if people would get to game. At the table the opponents did not announce the short diamond until the end of the auction (us passing out the 2 bid). When they announced it the director was called, and before any hand was revealed, my partner with the 17 point hand with diamonds said to the director he would have X and then bid 3 over 2 and explained that an immediate 2 would have been natural overcall strength (but that he prefered the X and then bid 3). The opponents proceeded to make 2 exactly. When the director came back he ruled that we would have ended up playing 3 making 5 for +150 but did not think we would bid game. It looks like a majority of folks don't think 3 would have ended the auction, even if they don't really agree with the X and then bid action of partner.

#8 User is offline   Statto 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, but not in conflation.
    Statistics, but not massaged by the media.

Posted 2012-July-04, 17:43

Can't see why we wouldn't end up in 5 had North began as indicated. If 5 was not making and it was ruled to 3+1, I wouldn't complain, but it appears there has been insufficient redress for the damaged side here - assuming 5 was making with a reasonable line.
A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem – Albert Einstein

#9 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-05, 01:55

View PostMbodell, on 2012-July-04, 17:25, said:

When they announced it the director was called, and before any hand was revealed, my partner with the 17 point hand with diamonds said to the director he would have X and then bid 3 over 2 and explained that an immediate 2 would have been natural overcall strength (but that he prefered the X and then bid 3).

I did not think that this was not allowed since it is clearly passing information about the hand to others at the table. When I have been faced with this situation I have always waited until after the hand before calling the director. Am interested what others think is the correct procedure here.

It sounds a little like the director was fudging - changing the score in your favour but not to the top spot. Do you know if he ran a poll at all? As usual, a weighted ruling would make the director's life much simpler here but that is not available in ACBLland.
(-: Zel :-)

#10 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-05, 02:34

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-July-05, 01:55, said:

I did not think that this was not allowed since it is clearly passing information about the hand to others at the table. When I have been faced with this situation I have always waited until after the hand before calling the director. Am interested what others think is the correct procedure here.

It sounds a little like the director was fudging - changing the score in your favour but not to the top spot. Do you know if he ran a poll at all? As usual, a weighted ruling would make the director's life much simpler here but that is not available in ACBLland.

Note the director talked to partner away from the table and only repeated what he'd been told to the table after the hand was done. When there had been a failure to alert the opponents correctly called the director to the table before the opening lead to tell about the missed alert (the proper procedure, albeit rarely actually practiced). The director talked to my partner away from the table. He should have, likely, talked to me away from the table and also asked me if I wanted to act in the pass out seat with the correct information, but I obviously wouldn't with my 5 point hand and only a X but no further X or bid from partner.

I don't know if there was a poll, but he did talk to another director. It was swiss teams and the last board in only a minute or two left on the clock (with the clock being the time to report scores, not the time to start the last board), so things were rushed. Our team was also not having a good day so we were not going to be in contention even if we got a 5= ruling (and the play was obvious, lose a club and a heart and the rest are yours).

#11 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-05, 08:54

Yeah, not a good job by the Director except for getting your partners take away from the table before the cards are known.

Under the stated possible auction I would be going directly to 5 assuming no trump losers (even on a double finesse) and a stiff , especially if pards diamonds are not that good.

A Black Ace and doubleton make game a favorite and you should have won this one. A poll of other players towards at least game tries would have sealed the deal.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users