Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Playing Viewgraph Deals

#1 User is offline   xeno123 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-June-26, 14:45

I really appreciate the new feature that allows replay of viewgraph deals. At this point I've probably played about 200 deals with 3 (basic) robots as the other players. On average I'm clearly winning, which I guess means I must be (on average) better than basic GIB. (I view myself as a good intermediate player).

It's interesting to examine the reason for the swings:

1. Most often a (positive for my side) swing happens because GIB doesn't overcall (or open weak hands) nearly as much as the experts do. So there are a lot more uncontested auctions. I think this is the biggest factor by far.

Here is a typical recent example:

http://tinyurl.com/6o538xg

Both EW teams in the recent Euro teams bid and made 3NT over a 2 opening in one room and a 2 opening in the other.

2. GIB blunders in defense and less often in declarer play are the next reason.

3. On the negative swing side, the experts reach quite a few making slams that I and my GIB partner miss. GIB+GIB seems to synch a bit better at slam bidding than do I+GIB (but maybe not enough examples to know this for sure).

Here's an example - maybe I (S) should have bid something other than 3NT or maybe GIB should have super-accepted?

http://tinyurl.com/7975uqa

(Actually only one of the other teams bid this laydown 6 (or 7 if no club lead), and seeing Fantoni and Nunes only bid to 5 after a long auction, maybe this slam is harder to reach than it looks).

I'd be interested to know other (better) players' experience playing these viewgraph deals.

Peter

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-June-27, 07:12

View Postxeno123, on 2012-June-26, 14:45, said:

Both EW teams in the recent Euro teams bid and made 3NT over a 2 opening in one room and a 2 opening in the other.
The link you posted indicated that North is the dealer, so he clearly opens 1. West's only chance to bid is over 3.

#3 User is offline   xeno123 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-27, 08:24

View PostBbradley62, on 2012-June-27, 07:12, said:

The link you posted indicated that North is the dealer, so he clearly opens 1. West's only chance to bid is over 3.

My mistake - my commentary related to a different deal. In this hand, both expert Easts in fact bid over North's 1, and both E-W expert pairs ended up in 4 making.

#4 User is offline   nathan2008 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-27, 08:40

for the second hand, you can try 4c instead of 3nt (=splinter ) i am not sure whether GIB will bid 4nt after your 4c .... (my prediction is that he will bid 4d after 4c, then you 4nt.)

Or you can try 3d instead of 3nt. after 3d, 3h=max with 4 supports, 4h= min with 3+H etc.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users