BBO Discussion Forums: I enjoyed this one. - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I enjoyed this one.

#1 User is offline   Quartic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Walking, Climbing, Mathematics, Programming, Linux, Reading, Bridge.

Posted 2012-June-25, 16:39

Third in hand, I pick up a nice 14 count. I decided I didn't want to open 1 with such a poor suit, so I opened an off-shape weak NT.

After partner transferred to diamonds, I showed my good support with 3. After LHO's 3 overcall, I decided he would probably lead a spade against 3NT, and I would then take 4 tricks outside diamonds, and probably 5 or 6 in diamonds.

+600 was a complete top when no one else bid 3NT.

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-June-25, 16:44

Only if I know my opps, I'd lead a K from the south hand on this auction, if he's going to lead a spade, you make 5 too.

#3 User is offline   Quartic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Walking, Climbing, Mathematics, Programming, Linux, Reading, Bridge.

Posted 2012-June-25, 16:54

View PostCyberyeti, on 2012-June-25, 16:44, said:

Only if I know my opps, I'd lead a K from the south hand on this auction, if he's going to lead a spade, you make 5 too.

Good point. But I didn't know there was a cross-ruff in 5 - give partner a small instead of a small and I still make 3NT on a lead.

I might not have bid 3NT if I didn't expect a lead, but Axxxxx from partner still has play, just needing diamonds 1-1.

#4 User is offline   yin970902 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-25, 19:12

The auction is either 5 or 3NT or 4.
IMO,I like 3NT.
Why S bids 3 after 3 rather than after 1NT?
上善若水,厚德载物
Believe, insist on, Thanksgiving

#5 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2012-June-25, 19:33

3NT is a very bad bid. 1NT was already a bad bid. I should know 'cause I use to make them a lot.

As long as you continue to play against this kind of opponents and getting these results you will continue to make the same mistakes.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#6 User is offline   Statto 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, but not in conflation.
    Statistics, but not massaged by the media.

Posted 2012-June-25, 22:27

View PostQuartic, on 2012-June-25, 16:39, said:

After partner transferred to diamonds, I showed my good support with 3.

I play that the other way around. 3 would be "liking those " whereas 3 would be "I'll begrudgingly play your ". What should one assume with a pick-up?
A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem – Albert Einstein

#7 User is offline   Quartic 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-26, 01:34

View PostHanoi5, on 2012-June-25, 19:33, said:

3NT is a very bad bid. 1NT was already a bad bid. I should know 'cause I use to make them a lot.

As long as you continue to play against this kind of opponents and getting these results you will continue to make the same mistakes.

Why is 3NT so bad when I have a good idea LHO will lead a spade? Against stronger opponents I would probably just try 4, but I would certainly be less sure what would be best.

Also, what would you have opened instead? Do you think the hand is worth showing 15+ if partner responds 2? I won't have a problem after any other response if I open 1, but I don't see any problems after opening 1NT either.

View PostStatto, on 2012-June-25, 22:27, said:

I play that the other way around. 3 would be "liking those " whereas 3 would be "I'll begrudgingly play your ". What should one assume with a pick-up?

Probably your way, but it might be location dependant. My way is common in my local club.

There are some small theoretical advantages* to my way, but being on the same wavelength is much more important.

*For example, with a weak hand with both minors, responder can transfer to diamonds planning to pass opener's reply. It also hides responder's hand when opener doesn't like diamonds, so the opponents don't know whether responder was looking for 3NT, or just signing off.

#8 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-26, 01:47

View PostQuartic, on 2012-June-26, 01:34, said:

Also, what would you have opened instead? Do you think the hand is worth showing 15+ if partner responds 2? I won't have a problem after any other

I think the hand is worth 15, yes. In my Acol methods I play 1 - 2; 2 as a 1 round force that does not promise extra diamond length. That would also be a possibility if you had the club in your bag.

Agree with you about 3 "like" having a small theoretical advantage. With a pick up partner I would assume 2NT was natural though! As you say, being on the same wavelength is the most important thing.
(-: Zel :-)

#9 User is offline   andy_h 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Universe, Traveling, Squash, and Scandinavia.

Posted 2012-June-26, 02:13

I don't know much about acol but I do know that opening unnecessary 1NT with a singleton is losing bridge. Here your stiff is the Ace of clubs (therefore length in the majors) so the last thing you want to be doing is to open 1NT and have it go 1NT-all pass and miss your major suit fit when you can potentially have a game on. Sure the last thing we want to be hearing is partner responding 2 but who says partner will do that? Maybe partner will respond 1M or 1NT or raise diamonds, or maybe it's the opponents who interferes with clubs and partner can bid a major suit or make a negative double etc etc.
- Andy -

We are all connected to each other biologically, to the Earth chemically, and to the rest of the universe atomically.
We're in the universe, and the universe is in us.

#10 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-June-26, 03:46

View PostStatto, on 2012-June-25, 22:27, said:

I also thought this was the "standard".

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users