BBO Discussion Forums: venting!!! (at a tourney adjustment) - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

venting!!! (at a tourney adjustment)

#1 User is offline   pokerbids 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-June-14, 06:36

Ok I know that free tourneys are for fun and I play them for fun as well. Here I was sitting East and its the last hand of the tourney so I said lets try for a top! (or go sown in flames!!) when my partner dealt and opened 1. Looked at my hand I said to myself what will happen if I respond 1 . After all possibility of game in diamonds seems there and slam seems a bit distant unless my partner has an explosive hand but in matchpoints I am ocassionally trying for that blasted NT contract and ok I wondered if I could steal it by this bid. Things went according to my half baked plan when partner responded 1 NT ...North for some reason Xed and fearing opps may find a suit somewhere I just bid 3 NT. was led ....my hand came down as dummy and I could virtually hear the sharp intake of breath as my hand came down. Partner happily played the hand making 12 tricks as the opps discarded hearts on the diamonds and I was as pleased as punch....Then I started receiving some awkward messages from TD as to why I hadnt alerted and I said there is no partnership understanding at all at this bid so i really cant alert it and being queried further as to why I had bid it then I honestly said I bid it because I didnt want the opps to lead ...Suddenly without warning I found myself penalised 3 tricks from 3 NT + 3 to 3 NT= and I was sort of miffed. I am not defending my bid and it isnt the best bid in the world. It came with a risk of a fall from grace in case things went awfully wrong but somehow in this case it worked out or I thought it did till the board got adjusted with THREE tricks being deducted. It was enough to get me irked enough to vent in this forum. It was just a normal tourney and what was so evil about my bid anyway! In any case it gave me an excuse to use the hand diagram and actually get out of my laziness and post something in here...

#2 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-June-14, 07:00

Somebody needs to draw the TD's attention to Law 40C2. Unfortunately this seems to be an area where online TDs frequently fall short.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#3 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-June-14, 07:01

I don't understand why there should be any score adjustment unless this tournament specifically prohibits psyches.

#4 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-June-14, 07:20

View Postgordontd, on 2012-June-14, 07:00, said:

Somebody needs to draw the TD's attention to Law 40C2. Unfortunately this seems to be an area where online TDs frequently fall short.

View PostArtK78, on 2012-June-14, 07:01, said:

I don't understand why there should be any score adjustment unless this tournament specifically prohibits psyches.

Have you guys ever played in a BBO tournament?

#5 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-14, 07:47

Nice 1 bid, you get points for creativity. Luckily this was just for fun.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#6 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-14, 09:32

View PostArtK78, on 2012-June-14, 07:01, said:

This tournament was hosted by one of the major tournament hosts, and their tournaments do specifically prohibit psyches. Given that, I'm surprised the penalty wasn't more severe.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users