BBO Discussion Forums: Disappointed, But Interesting Teaching Tool - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Disappointed, But Interesting Teaching Tool

#1 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2012-June-08, 12:30

South ends up declaring 6 after a 2-P-2 start. Opponents were shockingly silent throughout.

West leads the spade 10 (I like that lead), and the Jack of spades from Dummy wins.

I set about the percentage line, but luck was not on my side. For those who like intermediate-level declarer play issues, this one offers a nice example. BTW, diamonds split 3-0, with LHO (West) having three diamonds.

As an aside, after you work out the percentage line, you might find it amusing to also figure out the alternative very anti-percentage line, which happens to make, of course.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#2 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2012-June-08, 12:47

View Postkenrexford, on 2012-June-08, 12:30, said:

South ends up declaring 6 after a 2-P-2 start. Opponents were shockingly silent throughout.

West leads the spade 10 (I like that lead), and the Jack of spades from Dummy wins.

I set about the percentage line, but luck was not on my side. For those who like intermediate-level declarer play issues, this one offers a nice example. BTW, diamonds split 3-0, with LHO (West) having three diamonds.

As an aside, after you work out the percentage line, you might find it amusing to also figure out the alternative very anti-percentage line, which happens to make, of course.

I believe the percentage line is to pull trump, take 2 rounds of hearts, 3 rounds of spades pitching a club, and exit the club, hoping the person with the club A is out of hearts, or for QJ tight of hearts.

Anti percentage line would be to pin the 9 of hearts stiff offside

And as an aside, I love intermediate level declarer play problems, those usually have right answers without resorting to level 5 bridgemaster compound squeezes.
Chris Gibson

#3 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2012-June-08, 13:05

The percentage line was correct, but I think there might be a slightly better anti-percentage line.

You can cater to either stiff 9 or 9-x behind. Directly leading the 10 does not work, because with 9-x, LHO covers the first time but ducks the second time.
To catch 9-x (or stiff 9), you do the same spade-club elimination and throw the club on the table. If LHO wins the Ace, he must lead away from Q-J. If small, you float to the 10. If an honor, you cover, return to hand, and NOW smother 9-x. If RHO wins the Ace, he must lead from 9-x of hearts, which accomplishes the same ending because your 8 (or 10 if RHO has stiff 9) forces one of LHO's honors out.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#4 User is offline   perko90 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-June-08, 13:24

After winning the J, I'll draw trump, cash the K, high (watch for an honor to fall), A (pitching a ). If no honor fell in , I'll cash another high , exit with the K, and hope the winner doesn't have another .
If RHO drops a honor on the 1st rd, I'll still cash another high and exit w/ K, expecting RHO to have the A (due to count of unknown cards and that LHO might have tried to cash it on opening lead in front of the 2 bidder instead of trying the lead from QT9(x)).
If LHO drops a honor on 1st rd (presumably not from a Hxx holding), I'll exit w/ K w/o cashing a 2nd . If LHO wins, and started w/ Hx in 's, I won't feel too bad about down 1 because I'll at least have company w/ the declarers who got the A lead. Assuming RHO wins, I'll play the 8 when RHO returns a low one. Again, if I got fooled w/ LHO starting w/ H9 in , I should have company.

#5 User is offline   Flameous 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:How to find out shape below 2NT.

Posted 2012-June-08, 14:56

So RHO was silent with 11 black cards?

#6 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2012-June-08, 18:19

View PostFlameous, on 2012-June-08, 14:56, said:

So RHO was silent with 11 black cards?

Amazingly, yes.

-P.J. Painter.

#7 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-11, 10:18

Yeah, but you opened 2! That means that anything we bid will go for it's life! We can't bid over 2!

(For the intermediates - you do want to be careful, and have something useful (like a very long suit), but interfering over 2 works even better than interfering over a one-bid; because in the first round, all they've said is "we've got stuff" (and sometimes responder doesn't even do that!) Imagine you have the big hand in North, and it went 2-(3)-p(positive)-p or 2-(2)-p-(3) rather than 2-p-2-p. Bid 3NT (and give up on a potential juicy penalty, and possibly 6 or 7 diamonds)? Show your diamond suit (and give up on 3NT)? Double (is that penalty, takeout, or what)? Pass (in the second auction)?)
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users