BBO Discussion Forums: double..take out or penalty..same old story - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

double..take out or penalty..same old story

#1 User is offline   acer55 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-May-26, 07:09

the bid goes...
1 - pass - 1 - 1
pass - 2 - double - pass
?
the opener s pass showes a 12-14 balanced hand with no 4 spades (with 4 spades i would bid 1sp after 1) so can be responder s double take out ?to what?to spades not so to what ?my opinion is that this dbl is only penalty .do u have other opinion ?let s hear :)

#2 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-May-26, 08:07

Richard Pavlicek calls this DBL a Competitive Double .

" Certain doubles, while penalty in standard bidding, are best played as competitive meaning, 'I want to compete further but I am not sure what to bid.' " .

One of his examples looks much like yours:

1C - ( p ) - 1H - ( 1S )
p - ( 2S ) - DBL - ( p )
??

His suggestion after a Competitive DBL:

"Partner of the competitive doubler should choose the contract from the alternatives suggested by the previous bidding. Any nonjump bid (even a new suit) is nonforcing; jumps below game are invitational. Passing the double is a real possibility, requiring a suitable defensive hand with 4 trumps, or 3 trumps at the 3 level."
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#3 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge...some other things too I suppose.

Posted 2012-May-26, 08:10

To me it shows at least 5 diamonds, and mild support to clubs...I don't see it as being a stop ask, but you could be looking at a game value hand. 1H can possibly be 7+ HCP, with a 2H response showing 6+ or really nice hearts. If we go off of minimum values, we are holding 24+ HCP. If you have spade stops, and not sure about agreement, I would show 2S I guess.

But to me, pass is out of the question unless you know it is going down.
The American Swede of BBF...I eat my meatballs with blueberries, okay?
Junior - Always looking for new partners to improve my play with..I have my fair share of brilliancy and blunders.

"Did your mother really marry a Mr Head and name her son Richard?" - jillybean

#4 User is offline   acer55 

• PipPip

Posted 2012-May-27, 03:58

View PostTWO4BRIDGE, on 2012-May-26, 08:07, said:

Richard Pavlicek calls this DBL a Competitive Double .

" Certain doubles, while penalty in standard bidding, are best played as competitive meaning, 'I want to compete further but I am not sure what to bid.' " .

One of his examples looks much like yours:

1C - ( p ) - 1H - ( 1S )
p - ( 2S ) - DBL - ( p )
??

His suggestion after a Competitive DBL:

"Partner of the competitive doubler should choose the contract from the alternatives suggested by the previous bidding. Any nonjump bid (even a new suit) is nonforcing; jumps below game are invitational. Passing the double is a real possibility, requiring a suitable defensive hand with 4 trumps, or 3 trumps at the 3 level."

#5 User is offline   acer55 

• PipPip

Posted 2012-May-27, 04:01

my pass was a disaster ,,it seams that pavlicek knows something ,,tx tx for the answer (of course i would like to hear i was right with my pass :) )

#6 User is offline   acer55 

• PipPip

Posted 2012-May-27, 04:07

View PostRunemPard, on 2012-May-26, 08:10, said:

To me it shows at least 5 diamonds, and mild support to clubs...I don't see it as being a stop ask, but you could be looking at a game value hand. 1H can possibly be 7+ HCP, with a 2H response showing 6+ or really nice hearts. If we go off of minimum values, we are holding 24+ HCP. If you have spade stops, and not sure about agreement, I would show 2S I guess.

But to me, pass is out of the question unless you know it is going down.

#7 User is offline   acer55 

• PipPip

Posted 2012-May-27, 04:09

tx for your answer..of course my pass wasn t so good..(mild words to describe it)congratulation for the winning song at eurovision,,great song.

#8 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-May-27, 06:28

I personally preferred Anna Bergendahl and she didn't even make it to the final. Strange people, the voters.

Here your reasoning is superficially pleasing, i.e. opener did indeed give a reasonably accurate description but I think responder will find it much more useful to be able to double with a hand that wants to compete. Opener's minor suits could be 2-5 to 4-4 so responder cannot really compete accurately. It is a nice addition that opener can also pass the x if he has some heart length (so just using 2NT for the minors is a bit problematic).
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users