BBO Discussion Forums: Pre-emptive Raise versus Limit Raise - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pre-emptive Raise versus Limit Raise

#21 User is offline   perko90 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-June-07, 21:28

I'm not a fan of mixed raises, but love the preemptive raises, so I'm more in the Hardy camp. But I don't quite play it the same way. I use:

3M = 4-card preemptive raise
3C = 3-card limit raise
3D = 4-card limit raise

However, if you play it fully the Hardy way, where a balanced 3-card LR is included in the 1NT response, it's not necessary to play forcing NT. Semi-forcing NT works fine (or better, IMO). Opener only passes w/ a minimum 5-3-3-2 (or 4-5-x-x if opened 1) that wouldn't accept an invite.

#22 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-June-08, 02:43

I still don't understand why bad questions receive so many more replies than good questions on this forum.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#23 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-June-08, 02:58

View PostVampyr, on 2012-May-29, 03:37, said:

All of the suggested schemes are lovely, but really you can get by with 1M-3M weak raise and 1M-2NT invitational raise or better.

In practice most people who call 3M as a weak raise play it as mixed or something close to mixed. I've very rarely seen anyone who writes "0-5" on their CC actually make the bid on 0, and definitely not vulnerable.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#24 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-June-08, 03:02

View Postmgoetze, on 2012-June-08, 02:43, said:

I still don't understand why bad questions receive so many more replies than good questions on this forum.

It's slightly dangerous to label questions as good or bad, but I think the phenomenon you describe might be related to Parkinson's Law of Triviality? People like answering simple questions because it makes them feel important and knowledgeable. However, whether the opening poster reads or completely ignores said answers is up to the opening poster and no one else...
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#25 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-08, 04:38

View Postgwnn, on 2012-June-08, 02:58, said:

In practice most people who call 3M as a weak raise play it as mixed or something close to mixed. I've very rarely seen anyone who writes "0-5" on their CC actually make the bid on 0, and definitely not vulnerable.

I don't think you have ever played against me, gwnn, but it is definitely weak, 4 card 0-6 on my CC ! And while I actually have bid 0 hcp NV, I probably would not do it with 0-3 vulnerable.

#26 User is offline   mikl_plkcc 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:sailing, bridge

Posted 2012-June-08, 05:21

I don't like Jacoby 2NT because it takes away the 10-12 invitational to 3NT bid. Also, I don't like Jacoby 2NT because it shows much more information to the opponents (like the shortness) even when there is no slam interest, and slams are very rare. The more information given to the opponents, the more chance they can find the correct defence to make games go down.

#27 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2012-June-08, 06:13

View Postmgoetze, on 2012-June-08, 02:43, said:

What is your definition of genius?

#28 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-08, 06:45

View Postmikl_plkcc, on 2012-June-08, 05:21, said:

I don't like Jacoby 2NT because it takes away the 10-12 invitational to 3NT bid.

So play forcing 1NT (or forcing next step). Then rebid 2NT invitational.

Also, I don't like Jacoby 2NT because it shows much more information to the opponents (like the shortness) even when there is no slam interest, and slams are very rare. The more information given to the opponents, the more chance they can find the correct defence to make games go down.

I agree with you if 2NT may be merely invitational. The weaker hands are much more likely than the stronger. But if J2N is 13+ and 4 card support, then slam is a more realistic prospect, and you need tools to find it. Any tool will give information away, unavoidably, but the net result is better than guesswork.

#29 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-08, 07:14

Hardy suggested 2NT should show 15+, and with 12+ to 15-, you use Trump Swiss (4 or 4), all three bids requiring 4+ trumps. With (10)11-12 balanced, bid 1NT (Forcing), then 2NT. You may give away information, but it is less likely, I think, to matter.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#30 User is offline   mikl_plkcc 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:sailing, bridge

Posted 2012-June-09, 22:27

I like to use simple sequences to do simple things, i.e. I hate bidding another suit first and then show support later when I know that game is certain. When I bid 45% games, it is extremely important not to leak any information to the opponents when it does no help to our game.

About my previous "stressed" 2 raise, if responder actually has 4-card support, he would raise to 3 himself upon interference, and opener knows responder has 4 trumps. If responder passes and opener raises to 3, that means opener has 6 trumps.

#31 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2012-June-11, 08:51

View Post32519, on 2012-June-08, 06:13, said:

What is your definition of genius?

Are you talking about who can mate with whom, or about the number of holes in a donut?
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#32 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-June-11, 08:52

I like donuts, they remind me of Z².
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users