BBO Discussion Forums: Strong Artificial 2 Club Openings - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Strong Artificial 2 Club Openings How would you find the Club slam?

#21 User is offline   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Diamond LM (6700+ MP)
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2012-May-29, 07:36

Food for the critics:

Marty Bergen (the wild pre-emptor) in Chapter 4 of Slam Bidding Made Easier (2008):

The Bergen Gold Standard for opening 2:
(a) If the hand is balanced (4333 or 4432) open 2 only if you have 22 hcp. Opener intends to rebid 2NT

(b) If the hand is semi-balanced (5332) or unbalanced only open if the hand has 4 or fewer losers and the hand also has 4 or more quick tricks.

Note: If you have only 4-losers, then you have 9 winners. Does that sound familiar?
Ultra Relay: see Daniel's web page: https://bridgewithda...19/07/Ultra.pdf
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail . 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape.

#22 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-May-29, 10:08

View PostPrecisionL, on 2012-May-29, 07:36, said:

Food for the critics:

Marty Bergen (the wild pre-emptor) in Chapter 4 of Slam Bidding Made Easier (2008):

(a) If the hand is balanced (4333 or 4432) open 2 only if you have 22 hcp. Opener intends to rebid 2NT

(b) If the hand is semi-balanced (5332) or unbalanced only open if the hand has 4 or fewer losers and the hand also has 4 or more quick tricks.

Note: If you have only 4-losers, then you have 9 winners. Does that sound familiar?

Don't confuse Losing Trick Count with being the inverse of winner count. Also don't assume that all competent players would agree with Bergen's "quick trick" rule, even though nearly all would agree with the 4-loser part.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#23 User is offline   Statto 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, but not in conflation.
    Statistics, but not massaged by the media.

Posted 2012-May-29, 20:46

LTC should not come into effect until you have found a fit. The opening hand has about 8 playing tricks, and doesn't know where any additional tricks may lie. The fact that it has only 3 losers is immaterial. Do you really count your 4th card in a suit as a winner?
A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem – Albert Einstein

#24 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-May-30, 01:05

View PostStatto, on 2012-May-29, 20:46, said:

Do you really count your 4th card in a suit as a winner?

Culbertson's rules for Playing Tricks: If your trump suit is of length 4-7, the 4th card and each subsequent card should be counted as a winner; if your trump suit is 8 or more cards long then each card after the second should be counted as a winner. In a side suit, the 4th and 5th cards are each half a winner; the 6th card counts as a whole winner. No fit required. Some more modern PT counters are more aggressive and, for example, count a side 5 card suit as 2 length winners. Even though they are around 80 years old, I think Culbertson's rules in this are still pretty good for a simple metric. As for the LTC, my advice is not to use it even when you do have a fit!
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#25 User is offline   Lurpoa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SEF
    BBOAdvanced2/1
    2/1 LC
    Benjamized Acol
    Joris Acol
    Fantunes
    George's K Squeeze

Posted 2012-May-31, 00:39

View Post32519, on 2012-May-26, 00:11, said:

This hand was dealt at IMPs. Dealer = North with N/S vulnerable.
North opened the bidding with a strong artificial 2.

How would you find the cold slam using every one the more popular methods for responding to a strong artificial 2 opening bid listed below? If you use something else, e.g. Kokish, then include it so that we can see how you would find the slam.

1. Albarran
2. Cheaper Minor as a Second Negative
3. Control Showing Responses
4. Natural Responses
5. Oswald Jacoby Step Responses
6. Two Diamonds as "Waiting", Two Hearts as "Negative"

I am trying to convince myself which of these methods is better to use.

Thanking you all in advance.

One advice,
don't choose on the basis of this one example....

Other criteria: simplicity, robustness vs interference, frequency.....

Bob Herreman

#26 User is offline   Statto 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, but not in conflation.
    Statistics, but not massaged by the media.

Posted 2012-May-31, 01:11

View PostLurpoa, on 2012-May-31, 00:39, said:

don't choose on the basis of this one example....

Too true. And applies to reviewing any hand where you did not do so well. I recommend also a healthy degree of reviewing hands where you did do well, not just to give yourself a pat on the back, but also to remind yourself why you play the methods you do...
A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem – Albert Einstein

#27 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2012-May-31, 02:38

I would open 1 , but for a general advice:

I guess your problem is the second negative. Don't play it.

I join the two posters who play 2 as a bust and 2 as gf with no one suiter. (For my standards the club suit is far too weak for Zels 2 NT)
So I would start with 2 2 2 3 4 (Splinter) and take it from there...
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#28 User is offline   squealydan 

• PipPipPip
  • Interests:most sport
    being in the great outdoors
    the daily show / colbert

Posted 2012-May-31, 04:26

I really liked this hand and my partner and I had a good chat about it. We would have an easy beginning : we're in the 2H as absolute negative camp, and a five-card suited by KJ is easily enough to reply 2D, so it's 2C-2D-2H-3C to start with.

Then what? 4D-5C-5NT (pick a slam) or 5D Exclusion Blackwood followed by 5NT pick-a-slam both tell partner I'm interested in major suit queens not diamond values. Or I might just bid 4C and see if he'll bid 4H with Queen-doubleton? Really not sure which I'd have picked at the table.

#29 User is offline   mikl_plkcc 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:sailing, bridge

Posted 2012-June-02, 20:07

For me:

playing control responses:
2 - 2
2 - 3

playing HCP responses:
2 - 2
3 - 4

playing cheapest minor negative:
2 - 2
2 - 4

playing 2 immediate negative:
2 - 2
2 - 3
4 - 5

playing natural responses:
2 - 2
2 - 3
4 - 5

For my artificial system:
1 (12+, 3-suited) - 2 (4+ , sign-off)
3 (I have shortness in and want to go game!) - 4

In all of my methods, the opener has no clue about the K. The problem is, no one risks going past 5 for investigating a slam!

#30 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-25, 02:27

View PostPrecisionL, on 2012-May-29, 07:36, said:

Food for the critics:

Yes this sounds very familiar.

This hand has a void and is 3 suited which demotes its candidacy for strong 2 club opening. You are going to need extra bidding space to describe THREE fit possibilities to your partner and opening 2 clubs removes a whole level of descriptive bids.

Also when the cards talk, pay attention. When you have a void, that means the board distribution is off. Somebody must have extra to balance the distribution equation. You should give yourself as much bidding space as possible to help with the identification of potential distribution landmines.

What this question is really getting at is where does one draw the line between 1 of a suit opens and 2 especially for unbalanced hands consisting of long suits and at most 4 losers per LTC.

#31 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-25, 02:30

View Postgwnn, on 2012-May-26, 04:09, said:

And why is 22 such a magic number anyhow?

Yes why the novel fascination with 22 total points? This is just an arbitrary number or guideline.

#32 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-April-25, 08:16

Playing in a team game over the weekend (our district's GNT qualifier), the opponent at our table opened a hand like this with 2. They got to a reasonable slam (they had a double fit in the majors), but it didn't make. At the other table our teammate opened it at the 1 level and played there when partner passed with 5 HCP, making 12 tricks on a different lead.

#33 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-25, 08:58

View Postbarmar, on 2017-April-25, 08:16, said:

Playing in a team game over the weekend (our district's GNT qualifier), the opponent at our table opened a hand like this with 2. They got to a reasonable slam (they had a double fit in the majors), but it didn't make. At the other table our teammate opened it at the 1 level and played there when partner passed with 5 HCP, making 12 tricks on a different lead.

These hands are quite the conundrum. You want to open 2♣, but it's best to be conservative with these 3 suiters and give yourself as much bidding space as possible. Open 1 of suit followed by a reverse bid . . .provided your partner responds to your opening bid.

You also mentioned partner passed his teammate's open with 5 HCP. :o That is blasphemous in today's modern bridge. Pass doesn't quite describe a 5 HCP hand's potential. You gotta bid something! Just kidding.

Also, you have revealed quite nicely how opening leads do matter and can make or break a contract.

Thanks for the feedback.

#34 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2017-April-25, 09:41

2 with cheapest suit as a second negative, the bidding would start off --

2 - 2 (waiting)
2 - 3

with 3 showing a feature. After that it's simply a matter sorting out controls and trump honors.

With our specialized cueing agreements, opener's next bid would be

showing 1st and 2nd round controls in , , and a high honor. Responder now knows enough to see that at least 6 is a good contract.

#35 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2017-April-25, 20:34

All hail ye, Necro King!
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users