• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How many diamonds do you bid? We blew this

#1 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2012-May-17, 20:18

You sit North, against two decent club players. I am unable to use the BBO hand tool. (Edit: Whoops, maybe should have put this in novice/beginner)

Dlr: E
Vul: N-S

S: T
H: 8
D: AKJT65432
C: 62

The auction proceeds:

(1S) - X* - (4S)

15-19 semi balanced or so and does not promise a stop. It's pretty much a 1NT overcall that doesn't promise a stop. Some stronger hand types are possible, but not that likely compared to the strong NT

How many diamonds do you bid?

If you bid 6D

Spoiler

If you bid 5D there is a bonus question

Spoiler

What do you do now?

Results:

Spoiler

#2 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2012-May-17, 21:09

6D is the % bid imo. Out fo the 32 pts remaining partner got at least half of them with a bias toward non spades pts. I think hes 60%+ favorite to hold at least 2 aces. Losing 2 clubs is possible while them going with the wrong lead or take a phantom over 6D is very unlikely. But all in all I like 6D.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#3 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2012-May-18, 11:56

Bid 5 . There's just no way to know if partner or opener has 2 of the 3 remaining As. The opponent's 1 - 4 preemption has done its job, so opt for the most likely positive result.

If the opponent's bid further, we'll be in a forcing pass situation as we've voluntarily bid game.

#4 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-May-18, 12:00

View Postrmnka447, on 2012-May-18, 11:56, said:

Bid 5 . There's just no way to know if partner or opener has 2 of the 3 remaining As. The opponent's 1 - 4 preemption has done its job, so opt for the most likely positive result.

If the opponent's bid further, we'll be in a forcing pass situation as we've voluntarily bid game.

Yes, you are in a forcing pass situation, but no, you have not "voluntarily" bid game. You bid game in a contested auction. Partner has no way of knowing what you would have done if your RHO had not bid 4.

#5 User is offline   akhare 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-22, 14:02

No idea of what's right here, but I would go with 6. If I bid 5, I will be put to a second guess over the likely 5...
foobar on BBO

#6 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-May-22, 14:04

I know that folks might be shocked, but I am strongly tempted to pass

We're red, they're white
Bidding high might push them to a making slam
Alderaan delenda est

#7 User is offline   Statto 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, but not in conflation.
    Statistics, but not massaged by the media.

Posted 2012-May-23, 18:53

The meaning for the X is highly unusual. Even so, I don't think it's that likely partner will be able to provide 3 very quick tricks outside , so I'll bid 5. When partner doubles 5, I'll take the penalty.
A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem – Albert Einstein

#8 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2012-May-24, 00:27

View PostStatto, on 2012-May-23, 18:53, said:

The meaning for the X is highly unusual. Even so, I don't think it's that likely partner will be able to provide 3 very quick tricks outside , so I'll bid 5. When partner doubles 5, I'll take the penalty.

I probably should have clarified in the OP that it's similar to a natural 1NT overcall that doesn't promise a stopper - it's just that we have some of the weirder hands in with our 1NT overcall rather than our takeout double (which is in 1NT).

Still, interesting consensus. My team mate had this problem and pulled partner's 5Sx (partner having AQJ tight of spades over the K), then misplayed it after they came up with a low spade lead for which he was mocked and subjected to the traditional 20 imps out on one board penalty of having to buy everyone a drink. At my table they just bid 6D directly which we couldn't double but went off when P cashed his aces. Afterwards the team was divided 50/50 on 6D or 5D, so it's interesting to see the results repeated.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users