BBO Discussion Forums: language restriction not working in tourney any more? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

language restriction not working in tourney any more?

#1 User is offline   scarletv 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-February-02, 14:58

I am running an everyday tourney for German speaking players. Until yesterday that worked pretty well. All players with German flag or language were allowed to register. Additional we have a white list accepting players from other countries that do speak German. So far so good.

Since yesterday we are facing the problem that Turkish players are allowed to register in our tourneys and German players are excluded. Does anyone have an idea what happened and how I can avoid that problem?

I really need help urgently.

Host name: TDGer

The tourneys are setup with the browser version
checkboxex activated for
x language
x country
x white list
x black list

actually tourney 8777 is running with the same setup as always

#2 User is offline   scarletv 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-02, 15:19

Additional info:

I am on vacation in Turkey - that might be the origin of the problem.

Now I tried to register with language = DE but the tourney is still open for all Turkish players and not restricted to German.

#3 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-February-03, 00:36

View Postscarletv, on 2013-February-02, 15:19, said:

Additional info:

I am on vacation in Turkey - that might be the origin of the problem.

Now I tried to register with language = DE but the tourney is still open for all Turkish players and not restricted to German.

Hi Scarlet,

The restrictions are based on your IP (host's country, host's language), so if you are in Turkey the country/language restrictions will be country=Turkey and language=Turkish. Until you return to Germany ask someone located in Germany to set up the tournaments for you, and add you as a TD.

#4 User is offline   scarletv 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-03, 09:05

View Postdiana_eva, on 2013-February-03, 00:36, said:

Hi Scarlet,

The restrictions are based on your IP (host's country, host's language), so if you are in Turkey the country/language restrictions will be country=Turkey and language=Turkish. Until you return to Germany ask someone located in Germany to set up the tournaments for you, and add you as a TD.

What I found out...

1) login with the language by using a special link like http://www.bridgebas...ent.php?lang=de
2) Now the IP check results in country Turkey but language is still German
3) Only activate the checkbox for language not the one for country --> only German speaking players can registrate
4) Activating language and country will allow German speaking players and those with Turkish country/IP.

I still think it is strange that the nationality of a player is defined per IP code and not per flag.

#5 User is offline   uday 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-February-03, 09:48

It would certainly be better to allow TD to explicitly list the countries or languages. Or at least put in a hack to override the default behaviour. I think these are not very common needs, tho. If they are, I'd be happy to find some answer.

U

#6 User is offline   scarletv 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-03, 18:08

View Postuday, on 2013-February-03, 09:48, said:

It would certainly be better to allow TD to explicitly list the countries or languages. Or at least put in a hack to override the default behaviour. I think these are not very common needs, tho. If they are, I'd be happy to find some answer.

U

We have quite a lot of national tourneys at BBO so I do not think it is only a problem for the German tourneys that we run. But of course the number of TD's running these tourneys is not that big.

There are two problems where improvement would be helpful

1) TD Problem
TD not being able to maintain the tourney properly when being abroad.

2) Player Problem
Players that are not able to register though they are fulfilling the intended requirements but fail because of being abroad or having internet access via company internet showing another country IP.

1) I can live with the TD inconvenience when I am able to maintain tourneys in advance or know how to handle the workaround above. But I am convinced the workaround is too complicated for more TD's than only a few.

2) Players are sometimes upset why they are "blocked". They think someone decided to exclude them and dont know why. It is not only intransparent to players and TD but I am sure there are several players not asking for access. I strongly recommend to use the country chosen by the player and not the one determined by IP adress or maybe accept if one of them are fitting. Any progress in this issue I would very much appreciate and would help quite a big number of players to register easily in tourneys where they should be allowed to register.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users