BBO Discussion Forums: Incorrect alert. - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Incorrect alert. EBU

#1 User is offline   Quartic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Walking, Climbing, Mathematics, Programming, Linux, Reading, Bridge.

Posted 2012-May-30, 16:35

North went down 6 for 1400. East called the director after the play because West had alerted his double of 2, which he (Edit: East) thought was takeout in their system. How do you rule?

#2 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-May-30, 17:34

What does South say he would have done, and why, if the double of 2 had not been alerted?
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#3 User is offline   Quartic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Walking, Climbing, Mathematics, Programming, Linux, Reading, Bridge.

Posted 2012-May-30, 18:05

View Postgordontd, on 2012-May-30, 17:34, said:

What does South say he would have done, and why, if the double of 2 had not been alerted?

Unfortunately, this wasn't asked at the table. (I wasn't the director, I was East.) I think South would probably still have bid 3, but I think he might have passed instead.

#4 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-May-30, 18:08

Admittedly we need more information, for example an answer to Gordon's question, but I suspect that even if there is MI there is no damage. North understandably failed to pass 3 doubled which might get out for 500. He probably should but voids are tricky to put down in dummy! I hardly see the alerts make a lot of difference.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#5 User is offline   iviehoff 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-31, 03:14

View PostQuartic, on 2012-May-30, 16:35, said:

North went down 6 for 1400. East called the director after the play because West had alerted his double of 2, which he thought was takeout in their system. How do you rule?

Since it is penalty doubles of suit bids that are alerted, and East is short in Spades, I presume you mean
"West alerted East's double of 2S, because West thought it was a penalty double, but East thought was a take-out double".

Why did N alert 2D? I rather suspect S is bidding 3D regardless. After 3D and 4C have been doubled for penalties, with the proper alerts, S has returned to 4S despite being told (I presume) that E's takeout double was for penalties. If he is told it is for takeout, presumably he will return there with greater alacrity.

Is S claiming that he will bid 3S instead of passing when 3D was doubled if he is told the double of 2S was for takeout? I don't believe that either.

#6 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-31, 04:10

View Postiviehoff, on 2012-May-31, 03:14, said:

Why did N alert 2D?

I suspect because 2 asks for North's second suit.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#7 User is offline   iviehoff 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-31, 05:07

View Postiviehoff, on 2012-May-31, 03:14, said:

I presume you mean "West alerted East's double of 2S, because West thought it was a penalty double, but East thought was a take-out double".

I've now read what you (Quartic) wrote more carefully, and it makes sense to me now.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users