• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anybody else done this ? Making an idiot of yourself

#1 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-May-20, 11:55

The 3 and 3 bids were slow.

I held this hand and as partner bid 3 I got distracted by something else going on in a large cramped room. I collected my thoughts and reviewed the auction. I did this by looking at the 3 other players' bids and not mine, what I thought I saw with my bids added was P-P-P-1-2-3-P- meaning that I didn't alert 3 as the good version through Lebensohl.

There was then a conversation that made no sense:

"Was 3 in a Lebensohl situation ?"

"No but had it been passed back to me and I'd doubled it would have been".

Anyway the man was wheeled in, the facts were incompletely given (I thought the TD was coming back again before he phoned for the ruling), 3N made +2 and it was ruled back to 3 with me babbling incoherently that partner must have a decent hand for 3 and I was looking for a slam and wondering where his 4th club was (if partner hadn't shown a spade stop, I'd have looked for xxx, Ax, Axxx, xxxx or better).

We would have appealed, but given that we lost the match by a maximum even if we won the appeal, it would have been pointless.

Anybody else admit to bidding in the wrong auction ?

#2 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-May-20, 13:59

View PostCyberyeti, on 2012-May-20, 11:55, said:

The 3 and 3 bids were slow.

I held this hand and as partner bid 3 I got distracted by something else going on in a large cramped room. I collected my thoughts and reviewed the auction. I did this by looking at the 3 other players' bids and not mine, what I thought I saw with my bids added was P-P-P-1-2-3-P- meaning that I didn't alert 3 as the good version through Lebensohl.

There was then a conversation that made no sense:

"Was 3 in a Lebensohl situation ?"

"No but had it been passed back to me and I'd doubled it would have been".

Anyway the man was wheeled in, the facts were incompletely given (I thought the TD was coming back again before he phoned for the ruling), 3N made +2 and it was ruled back to 3 with me babbling incoherently that partner must have a decent hand for 3 and I was looking for a slam and wondering where his 4th club was (if partner hadn't shown a spade stop, I'd have looked for xxx, Ax, Axxx, xxxx or better).

We would have appealed, but given that we lost the match by a maximum even if we won the appeal, it would have been pointless.

Anybody else admit to bidding in the wrong auction ?

It happens with screens quite often. In Verona in 2006, in the round-robin, a famous author thought the auction had gone P P P to him, and he opened 2N with 20 hcp....his partner passed and that ended the auction. The famous author berated his partner furiously when his partner tabled a 12 count.....the good news being they made 4 overtricks.

His partner pointed out that the auction had actually proceeded (P) 1 (P) 2N, with 2N being invitational, and with a balanced 12 count, opener saw no reason to proceed further.

To add irony to the farce, on the previous boards, FA, who was sitting N, had objected strenuously to the vigorous manner in which the tray was passed through the screen, and had twice pushed it back as it came through, insisting that there was no need to pass it so far.

Over stories include not seeing an opening bid, and taking partner's 2 overcall as somewhat stronger than intended, with unfortunate results.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#3 User is offline   rogerclee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-20, 15:34

I once lost 4 imps for 3C= vs 7D-1. At our table, the guy opened 3C thinking he had opened 2N and played it there.

#4 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-20, 15:49

My opponents once had the auction 1NT-2NT-6NT making. The 1nt bidder forgot they opened the bidding and thought partners invite was a 2nt opener so 20+16 meant 6nt. They each had running suits and the finesses were on so the 25 high card point slam made.

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-May-20, 16:24

View PostMbodell, on 2012-May-20, 15:49, said:

My opponents once had the auction 1NT-2NT-6NT making. The 1nt bidder forgot they opened the bidding and thought partners invite was a 2nt opener so 20+16 meant 6nt. They each had running suits and the finesses were on so the 25 high card point slam made.

I haven't suffered this one, but did suffer 1N (12-14)-6N dummy decks with some flat 17 count "sorry partner I miscounted my points". Well 2 3-3 breaks and 3 finesses later we got no matchpoints off this one.

My mea culpa on counting points was a situation where I didn't think I'd done anything unusual, opps bid on a hesitation so I asked for a ruling. I was ruled against on the basis that I'd psyched (stupid I know, but absolutely normal in Norfolk). Turned out I'd had an unfortunate time to be struck by 3 point queen disease while holding 4 of them, and opened a weak no trump on an 8 count.

#6 User is offline   Furlan 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-May-20, 21:03

My teammates at the 2009 Transnational played 2 just made, against 6 bid and made at our table. The tray was larger than they were used to...
Partner, I don't play tempo signals...
43 44 43 24

#7 User is offline   mfa1010 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-21, 04:05

Back in the 2000 Junior Europeans a team mate thought he saw a 1 opening on his right and overcalled 2.

Unfortunately for him (us) the real opening was 1NT, so his 2 was systemically for the majors.

Partner was hit with a huge spade fit and chose to jump all the way to 6! That was not cheap-

I don't recall having done such things myself, but I have surely made my share of other kinds of technical mistakes.

Edited.
Michael Askgaard

#8 User is offline   Foxx 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Being quick, brown, and foxy; Jumping over lazy dogs

Posted 2012-May-21, 14:56

In a Swiss, I once thought my partner's response to my 4NT bid showed three key cards when he actually had zero. We went down three for -800 in 7x, losing 14 IMPs against 3 making four at the other table. Within our partnership that became known as the "Ohhhh, you had zero!" hand.

Later that day, I went down in a 5 because his hand was weaker than I thought it could be for a bid he had made. We lost 6 IMPs against, you guessed it, 3 making four at the other table.

I suppose the moral is: When in doubt in a Swiss match, just bid game.

#9 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-May-21, 15:56

View PostFoxx, on 2012-May-21, 14:56, said:

In a Swiss, I once thought my partner's response to my 4NT bid showed three key cards when he actually had zero. We went down three for -800 in 7x, losing 14 IMPs against 3 making four at the other table. Within our partnership that became known as the "Ohhhh, you had zero!" hand.

Later that day, I went down in a 5 because his hand was weaker than I thought it could be for a bid he had made. We lost 6 IMPs against, you guessed it, 3 making four at the other table.

I suppose the moral is: When in doubt in a Swiss match, just bid game.

Those are all just bad judgement calls, not misreading the bidding.

#10 User is offline   Foxx 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Being quick, brown, and foxy; Jumping over lazy dogs

Posted 2012-May-21, 16:13

View Postbarmar, on 2012-May-21, 15:56, said:

Those are all just bad judgement calls, not misreading the bidding.

Oh, sorry, I must not have read carefully enough... I suppose that instead of bidding in the wrong auction, I "bid" in the wrong thread...

#11 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-May-21, 17:20

Sitting in 4th seat I once had an auction (something like)

1D dbl 1H 2S
3H P 4H dbl
P 4S dbl all pass

When opponents started asking questions it became clear that partner's double of 1D had been a green one, and I'd done a lot of bidding with a 4-card spade suit and a balanced 10-count....
This had a happy ending, because the defence was also totally confused, partner had 4 spades and we went for 500 against their 620.

#12 User is offline   Tomi2 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-22, 09:58

similar story as the others, world junior teams 2008,
bidding went with east dealing, all vuln.
N E // S(me) W
-- 1 // pass - 1
2 2... //

1club was strong, 16+, 1dia was any POSITIVE, GF
2dia was either diamonds or both majors, 2 hearts was natural with his 16+

now i looked ad the auction and the bidding cards of east have moved because they were so slippy, instead of 1club and 2 hearts i saw only the 2 hearts bid, so the auction looked like my screenmate opened 1dia, partner overcalling 2dia = spades + hearts or clubs, opp bids 2 hearts, so i raise to 3 spades, get doubled and go for 1700 :(

#13 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-22, 15:57

I once got a mp zero against a pair of lovely ole bags when #2 opened a strong 2 without noticing that her pard had opened 1 and played it there.

Every other pair in a 13 table section bid the grand and went down 1.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#14 User is offline   Statto 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, but not in conflation.
    Statistics, but not massaged by the media.

Posted 2012-May-23, 23:26

1 2
4 4

Holding A, I mistook partner's 4 as a DGR, when in fact it was a cue bid showing a void, much as I dislike cue-bidding a void in partner's suit. With nothing more to offer, I passed to play in a 5-0 fit when we had a 6-3 fit. Strangely, it didn't work out too badly, as I managed to make 9 tricks, whilst 6 bid at most other tables also went 1 off with AJx offside.
A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem – Albert Einstein

#15 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-24, 00:10

In a club game last summer, I opened 1 (16+) in 1st seat... or so I thought. Turns out I was in 4th seat, and barred my partner from the auction after opponents refused my bid. So 3 passes to me, and I just bid 3NT on my balanced 19. I made 5, but it turned out that 6 was makeable, so I was near bottom.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#16 User is offline   ColdCrayon 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-May-24, 22:46

Playing in an individual IMP match I pick up a 13 point hand 2-4-5-1. Partner opens one heart, so checking his convention card I see "Bergen" and think "okay, great. Even if he doesn't play the concealed raises part of the convention, a double jump shift is a splinter in ANY language. I'll know if he understands what I'm bidding on his rebid."

Bidding goes:
1 3!
3NT (okay, the asking bid, so we're on the same page) 4, P-P-P.

So I played in my first ever 3 card trump suit. Then came the part where you get yelled at for taking your partner's bids to mean what they're supposed to mean. Continued long after the tournament was over.

#17 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-May-24, 23:36

View PostColdCrayon, on 2012-May-24, 22:46, said:

Playing in an individual IMP match I pick up a 13 point hand 2-4-5-1. Partner opens one heart, so checking his convention card I see "Bergen" and think "okay, great. Even if he doesn't play the concealed raises part of the convention, a double jump shift is a splinter in ANY language. I'll know if he understands what I'm bidding on his rebid."

Bidding goes:
1 3!
3NT (okay, the asking bid, so we're on the same page) 4, P-P-P.

So I played in my first ever 3 card trump suit. Then came the part where you get yelled at for taking your partner's bids to mean what they're supposed to mean. Continued long after the tournament was over.

No doubt the hand was cancelled as you only had 12 cards.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#18 User is offline   ColdCrayon 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-May-25, 07:24

View Postthe hog, on 2012-May-24, 23:36, said:

No doubt the hand was cancelled as you only had 12 cards.

No, I had a doubleton spade, but if he thought that it was a splinter, it wouldn't be the worst inference to draw. Unless he started heading for slam.

[edit: whoops, I meant 2461 :unsure: ]

#19 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-25, 08:57

View Postchasetb, on 2012-May-24, 00:10, said:

In a club game last summer, I opened 1 (16+) in 1st seat... or so I thought. Turns out I was in 4th seat, and barred my partner from the auction after opponents refused my bid. So 3 passes to me, and I just bid 3NT on my balanced 19. I made 5, but it turned out that 6 was makeable, so I was near bottom.

He He I had mercifully forgotten about one I had like that.

At imps, red I opened 1nt in 4th chair not accepted and my lho passed smoothly with a balanced 20 count. I bid 3nt when it came around and went for my ever lovin life.

I also once opened 1 in 4th in the finals of a midnight, the Director was called and said to my lho, "You are the quarterback and it's 3rd and 10. What's your play?.

He said "Punt" and the Director said "American football, not Canadian". Hook line and sinker, he passed.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#20 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-May-25, 10:01

View PostColdCrayon, on 2012-May-25, 07:24, said:

No, I had a doubleton spade, but if he thought that it was a splinter, it wouldn't be the worst inference to draw. Unless he started heading for slam.

Why shouldn't he draw that inference? Like you said, "a double jump shift is a splinter in any language."

Which part of your story was someone misreading the auction or pulling the wrong card, to fit this thread, rather than just confusion over agreements? Did you mean to bid 4 to splinter, and pulled 3 by mistake?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users