• You cannot reply to this topic

jec #10, board 16 an interesting push

#1 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2012-May-19, 22:43

Both tables bid this slam.

For everyone who thinks, with a misfit, they might pass 1, this is an example why you have to bid your forcing 1NT.

The auction was identical at both tables up to 4. At the other table, west tried 4 which didn't get any encouraging noise from east, who bid 5. Bidding 6 over that was automatic. Nothing to the play, nobody is risking the spade hook.

--Ben--

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-20, 14:32

inquiry, on 2012-May-19, 22:43, said:

[The auction was identical at both tables up to 4.

Not quite. It was only identical up to 3. At our table you jumped to 5, forcing me to guess. At the other table, your counterpart only bid 4 -- I guess he was more sure he wouldn't be passed. I assume the purpose of the 4 bid at the other table was to heard whether partner bids 4. Then you can use RKC to find out if partner has the K, and bid the grand.

The hook wouldn't help, you still have a loser. I played for the overtrick if someone had Kxx or Kx, and then at the end for South to absent-mindedly not cover the Q (or maybe I didn't notice it falling earlier).

#3 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2012-May-20, 20:00

barmar, on 2012-May-20, 14:32, said:

The hook wouldn't help, you still have a loser. I played for the overtrick if someone had Kxx or Kx, and then at the end for South to absent-mindedly not cover the Q (or maybe I didn't notice it falling earlier).

Spade hook, gives you one heart discard on the 2nd high spade, and now two spade ruffs, drops all the outstanding spades, so a 2nd heart can be pitched on the 13th spade. But like I said, no one is going to do this in a normal contract.
--Ben--

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-20, 22:37

inquiry, on 2012-May-20, 20:00, said:

Spade hook, gives you one heart discard on the 2nd high spade, and now two spade ruffs, drops all the outstanding spades, so a 2nd heart can be pitched on the 13th spade. But like I said, no one is going to do this in a normal contract.

Obviously not at IMPs. Maybe in the Reisinger :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users