BBO Discussion Forums: Jec #10 from my perspective == board 1 - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Jec #10 from my perspective == board 1 First 5 boards, bbo builds a small lead

#1 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2012-May-19, 21:58

On the first five boards, team bbo picks up 13 imps to take a quick lead. Twelve of the 13 were from action at the other table, and they have been covered in the forum already. Eight of the imps on board 2 (see Mbodell post on bd 2) and four more on board 3 when Mbodell and javabean stopped in 1NT while at our table the opening bid was 2NT and the our defense collected all six tricks due us. Then on board five, one more imp swung bbo forum way based on the opening lead at trick one against 3NT.

Sounds like team bbo was off to a fast start with good bridge, but we very were lucky on board 1, where Barry and I reached a hopeless 3NT with 5 cold (5 was played a the other table). The defense against 3NT let us make, however, gaining a push.

At the other table, after south's spade overcall, west made a negative double, and eventually ew got to the correct 5 contract.

There is plenty of evidence the defense should have found the heart switch and perhaps barry should have tried to direct the auction to 3nt from myside of the table. Comments?

--Ben--

#2 User is offline   Phil 

• Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-May-20, 10:40

Trap hand. The West hand screams for 3N and its difficult for East to overrule, although with the opponents possibly leading hearts with their 9+ fit, maybe 3N should be avoided.

We'd start 1 - (1) - 3 (transfer to 3N) I think and maybe East can bid 4, but it looks like a little bit of a position to me.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#3 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-20, 11:04

inquiry, on 2012-May-19, 21:58, said:

On the first five boards, team bbo picks up 13 imps to take a quick lead. Twelve of the 13 were from action at the other table, and they have been covered in the forum already. Eight of the imps on board 2 (see Mbodell post on bd 2) and four more on board 3 when Mbodell and javabean stopped in 1NT while at our table the opening bid was 2NT and the our defense collected all six tricks due us. Then on board five, one more imp swung bbo forum way based on the opening lead at trick one against 3NT.

Sounds like team bbo was off to a fast start with good bridge, but we very were lucky on board 1, where Barry and I reached a hopeless 3NT with 5 cold (5 was played a the other table). The defense against 3NT let us make, however, gaining a push.

At the other table, after south's spade overcall, west made a negative double, and eventually ew got to the correct 5 contract.

There is plenty of evidence the defense should have found the heart switch and perhaps barry should have tried to direct the auction to 3nt from myside of the table. Comments?

not sure what evidence you saw makes switch advisable. Setting up p spade suit
easily be right if p has an entry. Nothing in the bidding hints at delclarer
having a long suit that will produce tricks for 3n. I would consider a spade
continuation perfectly normal. As for the bidding i hate those jumps to 3n
for no good reason. too much good bidding space is wasted when we have the
balance of the power.

I would start with 2s and after 3d by p we realize they are highly distributional
and the idea of 5d (with our major aces) starts to look like a strong candidate.
I would not start with neg x becasue of the fear p might bid 4h and we would
have nowhere else to go.

#4 User is offline   inquiry 

• Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2012-May-20, 12:36

gszes, on 2012-May-20, 11:04, said:

not sure what evidence you saw makes switch advisable. Setting up p spade suit
easily be right if p has an entry. Nothing in the bidding hints at delclarer
having a long suit that will produce tricks for 3n. I would consider a spade
continuation perfectly normal. As for the bidding i hate those jumps to 3n
for no good reason. too much good bidding space is wasted when we have the
balance of the power.

I would start with 2s and after 3d by p we realize they are highly distributional
and the idea of 5d (with our major aces) starts to look like a strong candidate.
I would not start with neg x becasue of the fear p might bid 4h and we would
have nowhere else to go.

South won trick two, north dropped the jack (clearly from Jxx). The clubs are a threat, and south has no entry (north can not have both club and heart ace). It seems that partner might have a club trick (or else we are playing for fun..... 6=1=2). If parnter had the A declarer would never duck the 2nd spade. Then there is partner's spade jack, that has to be more than unblocking. Seems like he is showing stuff in hearts, which if he doesn't have, we are not setting it anyway. So in fact, after you have your two spade tricks, the heart does look pretty much clear to me. Anyone else think this makes sense?
--Ben--

#5 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-May-20, 14:03

inquiry, on 2012-May-20, 12:36, said:

Anyone else think this makes sense?

Yes.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-20, 14:15

I think Ben would have interpreted 3 as a Western cue bid, asking him to bid 3NT with a stopper, and I doubt he would have done it with just Qx.

And I think 2 would have been taken as showing a good raise.

#7 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2012-May-21, 03:51

I think you need a way to put overcaller on lead towards Qx. ...
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#8 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-21, 08:14

Would bidding 2 on the first round, and then 3 next do this? If he had a full stopper he would have bid 2NT, so the second cue bid asks for a half stopper?

#9 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-22, 23:14

barmar, on 2012-May-21, 08:14, said:

Would bidding 2 on the first round, and then 3 next do this? If he had a full stopper he would have bid 2NT, so the second cue bid asks for a half stopper?

Other options are to start with DBL or to bid natural 2, i know it shows 5 of them but gives more space to investigate 3 nt from correct hand. I personally would have started with 2 since i been burnt a lot from wronsided 3 nts.

Ironically if you did that, you would get a raise and you would not be able to bid 3 with the fear that pd may have xx(x) spade and 3 nt could be still best place to play, which you would leave behind if you bid 3 had he held no stopper. So i assume you would bid 3 nt over 3, still wrongsiding it, but Ben would drag you to 5 i believe.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#10 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-22, 23:30

no one mentioned this so I will add 2nt option not 3nt

also allows pard to make another gf bid over 2nt.

2nt =strong inv given pard can open lite.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users