BBO Discussion Forums: Good contract, but a bit unsure about the auction. - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Good contract, but a bit unsure about the auction. Matchpoints

#1 User is offline   Quartic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Walking, Climbing, Mathematics, Programming, Linux, Reading, Bridge.

Posted 2012-May-18, 16:50

Making 12 tricks on the 8 lead.

I'm not entirely happy with this auction, because I (West) was unable to find out whether partner had the A. Also, while I thought 6NT would be good from partner's side of the table, I wasn't sure if it would play well from my side.

Where could we have done better?

Our general system was Acol, so 1 didn't immediately promise 5, and 2 was 10+, not game forcing. Our cues showed first or second round control.

#2 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2012-May-21, 03:11

If your first cue in partners suit shows an honour, easts only problem is the location of the high hearts. There is a convention for this: It is called josephine. After 4 Spade, you bid 5 NT and partner shows his high heart honours.
You would still miss the grand opposite AKxxxx, but that is the smallest loss, compared to other solutions I know.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#3 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-21, 03:43

View PostCodo, on 2012-May-21, 03:11, said:

If your first cue in partners suit shows an honour, easts only problem is the location of the high hearts. There is a convention for this: It is called josephine. After 4 Spade, you bid 5 NT and partner shows his high heart honours.
You would still miss the grand opposite AKxxxx, but that is the smallest loss, compared to other solutions I know.

A number of slam tries have been attributed to Culbertson's wife, Josephine.

Over 4S! cuebid :

- - 5NT = Josephine Grand Slam Force : asking for 7H w/2 of top 3

whereas:

- - 5H! = Josephine 5-of-Trump : asking for 6H w/2 of top 3
......and the Josephine 5NT REPLY to the 5H!-ask = A K Q ( at least with this one you would reach the grand ).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
EDIT: Some might think 5H is a sign-off here since you are forced above game, but with a bare minimum opener, I think you if you really wanted to sign-off, you would first bid 4NT ( RKC ) over 4S .

This post has been edited by TWO4BRIDGE: 2012-May-21, 09:39

Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#4 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-21, 07:35

A 2/1 GF auction:

East    West
1S        2H ( 2/1 GF )
3H        3S ( cue; NOT a double-fit; says nothing about "Seriousness" )
5H ( asks for 6H w/2 of top 3 )
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#5 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2012-May-21, 23:02

West can anticipate East's problems - if he has a void, he can't keycard. Therefore West should just ignore his small clubs, and keycard himself. When you are faced with a crunch situation, you sometimes just don't have the luxury of ironing out every tiny detail. This is Pragmatics for Bridge 101.

In addition, there isn't really any way that his partner can have his bids if he doesn't have something solid in clubs - he has shown the equivalent of a 16 count or better, to be suggesting slam over a 2/1. They only way really, is to have exactly KQJTxx Axxxx - Qxx. And this might not be worth 4D to some people.

In other situations, it's good to recognise that when one partner has shown a splinter, if the other one has the ace (and knows the partnership has slam values, of course) he should either (a) cuebid his ace as soon as humanly possible so that if his partner wants to keycard he can, or (b) keycard himself.

Suggested auction (incredibly simple):

1 2
4 4NT
5 6
I Transfers

#6 User is offline   Quartic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Walking, Climbing, Mathematics, Programming, Linux, Reading, Bridge.

Posted 2012-May-22, 00:54

Thanks for the replies, I can see how these get me to 6 with more confidence. I still wonder if there's a sensible way to get to 6NT by partner. (Which was cold anyway with the King onside.)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users