• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

JEC #10, BOARD 6 BBO forum loses vul game swing

#1 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2012-May-19, 22:02

After a series of minor swings in the favor of team BBO Forum, we had a small lead (13-0) when board 6 came along. Both tables had the same auction, the same opening lead (small diamond) won in dummy with the nine, and the same trick two (diamond to the king-ace). I managed just 8 tricks costing us 12 imps as 9 tricks were won at the other table.

--Ben--

#2 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-May-20, 01:34

There is obviously nothing you can do here. We had the same auction and same first two tricks with the 2 and 3 discards. At our table partner tried the 7 and now there are 5+2+1+1 for 9 sure tricks. I don't have to have so much in hearts and so little in spades, especially because dealer is known to have just 2 spades, but could have 3 hearts. That said, I don't really like the spade because even if my strength is in spades and not hearts (say KJT-fifth of hearts and the heart A) it is hard to see how we set it before declarer sets up extra club or heart tricks to go with the diamonds. Also the club pitches sort of suggest hearts since the first 2 discourages clubs and the 3 then has vague suit preference possibilities (but really quite vague for us). But I didn't get a chance to ask Alan about it.

#3 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-20, 01:38

?

I thought the defense was not that hard but ok....

in other words switch to h(dummies weakest suit) but maybe I miss something deeper.

#4 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-20, 10:14

n should have been able to tell that our side is unlikely to
set 3n if you dont have something in hearts and they should signal
for a heart switch (however you do that in your system). Absent
a heart signal I think a spade switch is perfectly resonable since
your p is marked with 5 spades and probably cant afford to throw
them away.

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-May-20, 14:54

Seems like a good hand for Lavinthal discards. North playing his lowest on the first two tricks should ask for switch.

#6 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-20, 14:56

View Postgszes, on 2012-May-20, 10:14, said:

n should have been able to tell that our side is unlikely to
set 3n if you dont have something in hearts and they should signal
for a heart switch (however you do that in your system). Absent
a heart signal I think a spade switch is perfectly resonable since
your p is marked with 5 spades and probably cant afford to throw
them away.

We play natural discards. I didn't think I could discard a spade (EW can quite likely lose 1 spade and set up 4 tricks with the Q as entry) nor discard a heart (they could be 4=3=3=3 around the table where my 4th heart is the setting trick). As I said the first club discard of the 2 discourages clubs. The second discard of clubs should be suit preference, but we certainly aren't consistent in giving that second signal, so a default next lowest club could certainly come when I didn't care between spades and hearts.

What is the holding where a spade switch sets them and a heart wouldn't that is consistent with the bidding and play to date?

#7 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-20, 22:27

This board has nothing to do with you, Ben. Nothing you can do and imo you guys did well in bidding. Perhaps teammates could have made a better choice of discards at T1 and T2 in other room, which would make T3 choice easy for defense.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#8 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-20, 23:40

View PostMrAce, on 2012-May-20, 22:27, said:

This board has nothing to do with you, Ben. Nothing you can do and imo you guys did well in bidding. Perhaps teammates could have made a better choice of discards at T1 and T2 in other room, which would make T3 choice easy for defense.

What T1 and T2 discards would you make?

#9 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-May-20, 23:49

View PostMbodell, on 2012-May-20, 23:40, said:

What T1 and T2 discards would you make?

Playing natural discards and asking for , i either A-play high heart (which i wouldnt with this) or B-play small of 2 other suits

If i was your pd, i would take your 2nd discard as SP, but from your hand i would not discard a 2nd for various reasons.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#10 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-May-21, 01:29

If South is unsure what to switch to after winning the second diamond, he could try not winning it.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#11 User is offline   Codo 

• Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2012-May-21, 04:31

Like Andy, I doubt that the ace of diamond will be ruffed out.

And it must be right to discard a spade. Declarer will nearly never need 4 spade tricks to make his game.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#12 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2012-May-23, 03:46

The discouraging club discards were all that south needed to find the heart switch. Declarer has 5 diamond tricks, the club ace and the spade ace, and the club queen behind the king. The defense can never take more than 1 spade trick. If declarer has 2 heart honors the contract cannot be beaten.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users