Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

System notes Comments and improvement suggestions welcome

#1 User is offline   Bende 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-May-03, 09:25

I've written system notes for a 2/1 system based on the systems played by Gitelman-Moss and Levin-Weinstein, Fred Gitelman's article series "Improving 2/1 Game Force" and blog posts by Justin Lall. Where I've had to, I've patched ideas together as best as I've been able.

The idea was to get a complete system playable by a group of people who might differ in how much complexity they wanted to add to the system. Therefore the suggested conventions are separated from the base system. The system contains few to none new or original ideas. Still, maybe someone finds it useful and I would appreciate comments on how to improve the system if anyone has the endurance to read it through :).

Introduction
Summary
Base system
Extensions

#2 User is offline   glen 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Military history, WW II wargames

Posted 2012-May-03, 09:32

Thanks, much appreciated!
'I hit my peak at seven' Taylor Swift

#3 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-08, 21:29

Thank you.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#4 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-May-08, 21:38

There's a lot of good stuff here and you've organized it very nicely. WD.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#5 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2012-May-08, 23:04

This is really nicely done. I'm just about to kick off a new partnership so I might send him the base notes as a place to start!

One thing - no short club with transfer responses? Though I'm not sure if Fred plays it and if he doesn't lots of reasons not to.

#6 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-09, 00:35

I particularly like the extensions note.

Did you write the notes in LateX? Either way, would you be willing to share source code for your notes in case some of us would like to emulate your style for our notes?

#7 User is offline   Bende 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-09, 01:33

View PostMbodell, on 2012-May-09, 00:35, said:

Did you write the notes in LateX? Either way, would you be willing to share source code for your notes in case some of us would like to emulate your style for our notes?

Yes, it is written in LaTeX. The source code is not available online but if you PM me your address, I'll email it to you.

#8 User is offline   Bende 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-09, 01:42

View PostCthulhu D, on 2012-May-08, 23:04, said:

This is really nicely done. I'm just about to kick off a new partnership so I might send him the base notes as a place to start!

One thing - no short club with transfer responses? Though I'm not sure if Fred plays it and if he doesn't lots of reasons not to.

That would be fun :). If you do and some up with improvements, please let me know.

I play a short club with transfer responses as well so I've been planning to add another document with those structures to be used with the rest of the system. It has become very popular among Swedish players and almost all of our juniors play it, it seems. There is a 5542 system published on the same wiki page as these system notes but they are in Swedish unfortunately. My plan is to reuse parts of that system but adapt it to some of the ideas in the 5533 system notes (like using reverse Flannery responses to 1m, which I really like). I've a six hour train ride tomorrow, perhaps I'll work on it then...

#9 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-May-09, 06:00

I have been working on and off on a set of Transfer Walsh notes in LaTeX which I was planning to publish when completed, but they're just not polished enough yet. If anyone who knows LaTeX and modern 2/1 bidding would like to help, let me know. ;)

Bende, would you mind if I put your source code online? Since there seem to be several people who are interested...
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#10 User is offline   jmcw 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-09, 06:22

Excellent presentation and very kind of you to share.

Your getting my vote for most helpful post of the year.

Thanks.

#11 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-09, 07:09

Like it a lot overall, just skimmed it, but are you really playing 1H 2S (FR) 2N = 18-19 balanced?

Even if you are doing that for memory reasons that is just so horribly inefficient that it offends me :P You will basically never bid step 1. I assume you just want to keep it somewhat symmetrical with 1S 3C but I'd say it's important enough that you should just remember things in steps. The extra room can really come in handy.

edit: Not meant to sound negative or anything, your presentation is very good I am just offering constructive criticism/bridge advice of your system, the notes themselves are A+.

#12 User is offline   Bende 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-09, 07:22

View PostJLOGIC, on 2012-May-09, 07:09, said:

Like it a lot overall, just skimmed it, but are you really playing 1H 2S (FR) 2N = 18-19 balanced?

Even if you are doing that for memory reasons that is just so horribly inefficient that it offends me :P You will basically never bid step 1. I assume you just want to keep it somewhat symmetrical with 1S 3C but I'd say it's important enough that you should just remember things in steps. The extra room can really come in handy.

edit: Not meant to sound negative or anything, your presentation is very good I am just offering constructive criticism/bridge advice of your system, the notes themselves are A+.

Hmm... Sounds like we should maybe change it then :). In Fred Gitelman's article series 1-2; 2NT is described as "5 trumps, extra values, balanced". I think I figured this was 18-19 balanced but looking at it again, I'm not so sure.

In my notes 1-2; 3 can be (5422) but it is described further down in Fred's article as "with shortness somewhere". That seems to indicate that (5422) hands bid 2NT and thus 2NT would not only be "18-19 balanced". That would mean 1-2; 3-3; 3NT doesn't exist (it shows (5422) in my notes).

(Saw your edit. Constructive criticism is very much appreciated! Thanks!)

#13 User is offline   Bende 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-10, 00:28

View Postmgoetze, on 2012-May-09, 06:00, said:

Bende, would you mind if I put your source code online? Since there seem to be several people who are interested...

I couldn't publish the source code on the same wiki page. Instead I'm trying out Google Drive. If everything works, here is the link:

LaTeX source code

#14 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-10, 08:07

That ends up at google wanting me to set up my own google drive. Not happening.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#15 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-10, 17:08

It worked for me to access and view the files without a google drive setup (but I am signed in to a google identity with gmail and google docs). Thanks for sharing the source.

#16 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-10, 18:35

<sigh> Okay, I set up the google drive, and have the source. As Mbodell says, thanks for sharing it. :-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#17 User is offline   Yu18772 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-10, 18:55

Thank you!
Posted Image Yu
Yehudit Hasin

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users