BBO Discussion Forums: when is a reverse not a reverse? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

when is a reverse not a reverse? is this a reverse?

#1 User is offline   jmcilkley 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-May-11, 11:01

Playing natural I open 1C and LHO overcalls 1S, partner doubles and I rebid 2d. How many points am I showing? Obviously if I bid 1H I will definitely be showing up to a poor 15 but is it different if I bid 1D?
Mike C

#2 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-May-11, 11:16

I can't quite make sense of your post. It goes 1C-1S-X-p; how can you bid 1H or 1D here?

I'll take a leap of faith, and assume you meant "opened 1H" and "opened 1C" where you wrote "bid 1H", "bid 1D". Going on that assumption... I think it would depend on partnership agreement, particularly about the X. I play the X as showing 4+ hearts, so 2H here would show a minimum with 4-card heart support, 3H would be reverse-type strength with hearts, 2D would be a natural reverse and "everything else" has to bid 1NT or 2C.

One can think of this treatment as pretending partner bid 1H - you're simply making the same rebids as opener as in 1C-p-1H-p. So along those lines, if you play the X as definitely showing 4+ in both diamonds and hearts, then I wouldn't treat 2D as a reverse.

ahydra

#3 User is offline   jmcilkley 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-11, 12:22

View Postahydra, on 2012-May-11, 11:16, said:

I can't quite make sense of your post. It goes 1C-1S-X-p; how can you bid 1H or 1D here?

I'll take a leap of faith, and assume you meant "opened 1H" and "opened 1C" where you wrote "bid 1H", "bid 1D". Going on that assumption... I think it would depend on partnership agreement, particularly about the X. I play the X as showing 4+ hearts, so 2H here would show a minimum with 4-card heart support, 3H would be reverse-type strength with hearts, 2D would be a natural reverse and "everything else" has to bid 1NT or 2C.

One can think of this treatment as pretending partner bid 1H - you're simply making the same rebids as opener as in 1C-p-1H-p. So along those lines, if you play the X as definitely showing 4+ in both diamonds and hearts, then I wouldn't treat 2D as a reverse.

ahydra

#4 User is offline   jmcilkley 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-11, 12:22

sorry, bidding was 1C-1S-dbl by p-pass-2D

#5 User is offline   Jboling 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-11, 12:46

View Postjmcilkley, on 2012-May-11, 12:22, said:

sorry, bidding was 1C-1S-dbl by p-pass-2D

If dbl was negative, 2D is just showing a hand without interest of game against a minimal negative double, with reasonable support for diamonds (and denying support for hearts)

#6 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-11, 14:39

The idea behind "this doesn't show extra values" is that you're *raising partner*, not showing your own second suit.

Yes, it's possible - even probable - that partner doesn't have diamonds, but that's the theory.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#7 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-May-11, 14:50

We have had this discussion before. I leave it to others to find one or two threads devoted to this subject.

The consensus is that a 2 rebid shows extra values consistent with a reverse. If opener did not have extra values, he would rebid 1NT or 2. Or he would have opened 1 originally with 4-5 in the minors.

#8 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2012-May-11, 17:09

For the majority of the experts, 2 shows extras, because the double just shows hearts.
For the majority of the players (at least here) it does not, because the double promised the unbid suits.

So: Ask your partner about this sequence and tell him what experts do here.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#9 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2012-May-11, 20:49

I think it shows a reverse, same as if the bidding had gone 1-(1)-1 insufficient - (p), 2. Others don't play it as extras, but either way you need to come to an agreement. It truly is one of those 50/50 things depending on your locale and/or your partner's skill level.
Chris Gibson

#10 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-11, 20:51

Unfortunately, Codo is not correct ---although I believe he should be ---about the opinions of the majority of experts...at least in this country. Hopefully Germany is more sensible.

A recent "It's your call" touching on the same situation in the ACBL Bulletin showed only one of the umpteen experts believed 2D showed "reverse" strength. I was shocked.

1C (1S) X (P)
2D....should not only show extra playing strength, but should also bring Lebensohl into the mix of continuations by responder.

Obviously this does not apply to heart rebids by opener, since that is a suit he is merely raising as if responder had bid 1H without the interference.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#11 User is offline   jmcw 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-11, 21:40

I would open a minimum (up to 16) 4-5 minors 1 planning a rebid of 2.
If 17+ I would open 1 planning a reverse to 2.
An intervening bid and X does not change anything, and I have no reason to expect partner to have for his X.

X shows .

Perhaps, someone would care to post some examples of minimums that would bid this way.

#12 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-May-12, 09:42

For me, 2 does show extras, K+. We are forcing partner to the 3 level if she has to show a club preference.

The experts in the Bulletin may be right. We don't need full reverse (18) to bid 2 but I don't think they would do it on 12. It would be nice to have more information.

#13 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-12, 09:52

For me, 2♦ does show extras, K+. We are forcing partner to the 3 level if she has to show a club preference.

Good point :)
Apparently this simple logic eludes some "experts"...

#14 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-May-12, 11:20

View Postbluecalm, on 2012-May-12, 09:52, said:

Good point :)
Apparently this simple logic eludes some "experts"...

A number of experts not in the US play that double shows both unbid therefore 2 shows no extras.

I'm not sure what "playing natural" in the OP means, but if it means 4+ clubs, I would expect the X to show both unbid. Playing Acol, many people with 4/4 open 1 so showing only is nothing like as useful as it is when 1 is 2+.

#15 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-12, 12:17

A number of experts not in the US play that double shows both unbid therefore 2♦ shows no extras.

It comes down to what 'expert' means but this is very bad agreement and nobody good at this game plays it these days.

#16 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-May-12, 13:55

View Postbluecalm, on 2012-May-12, 12:17, said:

It comes down to what 'expert' means but this is very bad agreement and nobody good at this game plays it these days.

OK, nobody in the UK is any good then as many people play it here, although I suspect the number is decreasing as more move over to a 2+ card club. As I said if the club is natural in a weak no trump Acol 4 card major type system, it's very sensible to play it as both suits (in fact this system has some issues if you don't as we never open 4-5 in the minors 1).

#17 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-12, 14:16

OK, nobody in the UK is any good then as many people play it here

That argument doesn't contradict what I said. Most people are bad at bridge so just because "many people play it" doesn't mean that "nobody good plays it" doesn't hold true :)
Again it comes down to definition of good. I meant players who compete at highest international level.
There is literally no one (at least no one regularly appearing in big events late stages) who passes say:
xxx AKxx Kx xxxx if it goes:

1C - 1S - ?

Passing is just weak bridge if opponents have any aggression in them you will regularly miss very good heart games.
If you bid 2C it's equally bad for the same reason (your not good enough to double later at 3 level).
Same goes for weakier hands, say: xxx AKxx xx xxxx and two level.

#18 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-May-12, 14:34

View Postbluecalm, on 2012-May-12, 14:16, said:

That argument doesn't contradict what I said. Most people are bad at bridge so just because "many people play it" doesn't mean that "nobody good plays it" doesn't hold true :)
Again it comes down to definition of good. I meant players who compete at highest international level.
There is literally no one (at least no one regularly appearing in big events late stages) who passes say:
xxx AKxx Kx xxxx if it goes:

1C - 1S - ?

Passing is just weak bridge if opponents have any aggression in them you will regularly miss very good heart games.

No I raise clubs inverted F1 not denying 4M.

Actually I have no fear of doubling on this hand and then bidding 3 over 2 if not playing my style of inverted minors.

#19 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-12, 15:44

No I raise clubs inverted F1 not denying 4M.

What about 4-4-2-3 ?
Say: xxxx AKxx Qx xxx ?
Still, you lose hearts if it goes something like:

1C - 1S - 2C - 3S

Because now you need a double for extras and 4-4 heart fit is lost forever.

#20 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-12, 16:44

View PostCyberyeti, on 2012-May-12, 13:55, said:

many people play it here,

Do they? I can't say I've encountered them.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users