BBO Discussion Forums: Are Reverse Bids "On" or "Off" in a 2/1 Auction? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Are Reverse Bids "On" or "Off" in a 2/1 Auction?

#21 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-May-10, 15:45

View PostTWO4BRIDGE, on 2012-May-09, 16:22, said:

If playing 2/1 GF, then both of the openers below will make a standard rebid of 2S after 1H - 2C( or 2D ) :

1)
Q x x x
A K J x x
Q x
x x

2)
A K Q x
A K J x x
x x
x x

agree that I would bid 2s with both and this is not a problem. 2c or 2d shows a good hand not junk.

partner will assume I have hand one.

with hand two I am already thinking about a grand.

guys you dont need relays or anything fancy at all here.

---

this is really just another in the million of threads in the discussion of does a rebid of 2 in your first bid suit promise 6 or just 5+ with a minimum.

Most of the better posters play it shows 5+ with a minimum but many dont play that style.

In the other style(reverse does not show extras) responder assumes you have a minimum. This can create a problem with some two suited hands in the range of 14-16. To reduce these hand types one can open an offshape nt. But you will still need to use judgment with some hands. For me in practice responder will have the stronger hand very often so this becomes a rare issue.

#22 User is offline   Flem72 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-May-10, 17:40

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-May-09, 15:32, said:

A reverse is a two level bid at your second turn in a suit which is higher ranking than your first bid suit. That's the definition. In systems like SA where a 2/1 response is not GF, a reverse shows extra values, because you are forcing partner, who may have only 10 points or so, to bid at the three level if he wants to show preference for your first suit. This principle obviously doesn't apply when the 2/1 response is GF, but a two level bid at your second turn in a suit which is higher ranking than your first bid suit is still a reverse. If you decide that in your methods a reverse need not show extra values, that's fine, but please, please, PLEASE do not tell people "we don't play reverses" or the like. :ph34r:

+17,395

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users