BBO Discussion Forums: Simple judgement call (corrected) - BBO Discussion Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Simple judgement call (corrected)

#1 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-May-03, 03:05

Sorry about confusing the original post

IMPs, White on White

You hold

AJ8
J965
Q974

Partner opens 1NT showing standard 15-17 NT opening
What's your call?
Alderaan delenda est

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-May-03, 03:10

Pass, unless your 1NT opening is something surprising.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   dkham 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-May-03, 03:27

As long as partner really has 15-17, and only accepts with a maximum, I'll bid Stayman then invite.

#4 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-03, 06:03

I think it's close playing standard 1NT (ie. not the one which includes like half of 14's). I prefer invite at imps, you gotta outplay them somewhere and the best place is to let them show defense skills.

#5 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-03, 06:32

I think this is a routine pass.

#6 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-03, 07:03

bluecalm, on 2012-May-03, 06:03, said:

I think it's close playing standard 1NT (ie. not the one which includes like half of 14's). I prefer invite at imps, you gotta outplay them somewhere and the best place is to let them show defense skills.

Yes, I suppose it depends on how often I expect partner to upgrade into, or out of, 1NT.

For me this hand is an invite. There is some latent potential in the nines, and no lead seems especially fearsome (partner likely has a club value or two). On crude IMP odds, I am risking converting +90 into -50 (-140 swing), but I can also convert +150 to +400 (+250 swing), not to mention the times we find a heart fit. And I don't expect to be doubled often on such an auction.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#7 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-03, 07:12

Pass.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#8 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-May-03, 08:24

Pass.

My teammates defend really well, so they won't let a game slip through. Win 4.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#9 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-May-03, 08:49

Pass (following the "invite heavy, accept light" mantra).
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#10 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-May-03, 09:14

There are a lot of players who I respect who always bid on this type of hand at IMPs red, and some who always bid on this type of hand at IMPs regardless of vulnerability.

I think this one is very close red at IMPs, and a clear pass at IMPs white. But I would not argue with anyone who would bid.

At matchpoints, it is a clear pass.

#11 User is online   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-May-03, 09:28

Pass

Unlike Phil, who expects to win 4 imos when the opps bid game at the other table, I expect to win 5 imps...my partner plays better than Phil's, it seems :P
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#12 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2012-May-03, 09:44

I think this merits the risk of a Stayman call at IMP scoring. If partner bids 2H, my hand is now worth just enough for an invite. If he bids 2S, I would pass. If 2D, I will cross my fingers and pass.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#13 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-03, 10:17

This is interesting to me. In a climate where most experts seems to open 11 counts routinely, respond on nearly nothing, and bid aggressively in various other ways, here comes some unexpected conservatism. My simple mind computes 17+8=25 ---> we may have game. Am I just really misevaluating this hand?
-gwnn

#14 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-03, 10:28

I did some simulating with this sort of thing a few years ago. I went into it with the opinion that it probably wasn't right to invite with a random 8 HCP hand and the simulations reinforced that opinion. I'm just tossing that out there without providing any detailed results, so take for what you will. The results were not nearly so overwhelming that I couldn't be wrong.

A few things:

+ At the same time, I compared some different evaluation techniques, modified counts, some of which took into account Tens and some of which valued higher honors more. I was surprised that simple 4321 HCP was as good as any of the modified counts. (Strictly in predicting number of tricks with two balanced hands somewhere in the game range.)

+ Remember that in a 15-17 NT range, 15 counts occur more frequently than 16 counts which occur more frequently than 17 counts.

+ When you do something like invite via Stayman, you give the opponents a bit of extra information that makes the defense easier. Even 1N-2N-3N is easier to defend against than 1N-3N. So, when you use Stayman on this hand, you are cutting into any edge you think you might have over those who pass.

+ Sometimes your pass does not end the auction.

I think the bottom line is that neither the passers nor the inviters have a strong enough case to insist with certainty that they are right, or at least insist that they have a significant edge.

#15 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-May-03, 10:29

billw55, on 2012-May-03, 10:17, said:

This is interesting to me. In a climate where most experts seems to open 11 counts routinely, respond on nearly nothing, and bid aggressively in various other ways, here comes some unexpected conservatism. My simple mind computes 17+8=25 ---> we may have game. Am I just really misevaluating this hand?

We may have game, but we may also go down in 2NT. 2NT is not a nice contract to be in.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#16 User is offline   ArtK78 

• Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-May-03, 10:35

17+8=25. Yes. But several points are worth noting:

(1) 25 point notrump games do not always make (same with 4 if you find a fit).
(2) Just on the basis of probabilities, partner is most likely to have 15 HCP, second most likely to have 16 HCP (in which case he might accept the invite) and third most likely to have 17 HCP.
(3) You are committing yourself to a 2 level contract which may turn a plus into a minus.
(4) Every so often partner has what he thinks is a good 14 HCP and opened 1NT.

#17 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-03, 10:37

my hand is now worth just enough for an invite. If he bids 2S, I would pass. If 2D, I will cross my fingers and pass.

Passing 2D is surely huge mistake. There is no reason to think it makes more often than 2N and you are missing many good games on hands when you struggle to make 2D.

Am I just really misevaluating this hand?

Probably most people who insta pass here don't play classical 15-17 1NT but popular 14+-17 one which is considerably weakier on average thus makes passing more attractive option.
This is very good 8. It makes 3NT opposite 16-17hcp balanced without 5M 53% of the time dd which translates to probably about 58-60% in practice (according to my experience with dd simuls in such situations and comparing it to some real life results but I can't prove it definitely). You also get additional chance of spiking 4-4 heart fit or maybe even 5-4 or 5-3 major. I would say that if you open 1NT with 5M-3-3-2 routinely passing is clear mistakes and opposite "normal" 1NT it's not that bad but still I wouldn't pass.
Intuition is influenced by experience and if say: Ax KQx xxx AJxxx is 1N opening for you, then you naturally start passing 8's as those weakish (in context of trick taking in NT contracts) hands start to constitute significant part of your opening range.

#18 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-03, 11:40

There are certainly lots of eight counts where we go down in 2N. And J9xx is not a great holding for a trump suit, so if you stayman and p bids hearts I dont feel the hand has improved that much.

OTOH, there are plenty of balanced eight counts where I would make an invitation. This just isnt one of them. Two jacks, no tens, mediocre suit texture. It just doesn't feel right.

Playing around a bit gets you easily to hands where I would accept though:

Jxx
AJ9x
Q9xx
xx

is already a much better hand, especially if you bid stayman and partner responds in hearts. I think this would be v close now.

xxx
AJ9x
QJ9x
xx

would be a clear invite for me.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#19 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-03, 11:55

ArtK78, on 2012-May-03, 10:35, said:

(see below)

17+8=25. Yes. But several points are worth noting:

(1) 25 point notrump games do not always make (same with 4 if you find a fit).
Of course not. But we want to bid 50% games white at IMPs, right?
(2) Just on the basis of probabilities, partner is most likely to have 15 HCP, second most likely to have 16 HCP (in which case he might accept the invite) and third most likely to have 17 HCP.
This came up in a similar thread several months ago. I say the same thing: so what? Partner can actually look at his hand and know how many points he has.
(3) You are committing yourself to a 2 level contract which may turn a plus into a minus.
I mentioned that in my previous post. Turning +90 to -50 loses 140 = 4 IMP. Turning +150 to +400 gains 250 = 6 IMP. So (roughly) we have 3:2 odds in our favor?
(4) Every so often partner has what he thinks is a good 14 HCP and opened 1NT.
Indeed. But if his upgrade sense is correct, the hand is worth 15 anyway.

If we don't like to be in a 25 hcp game, what will we do when partner opens 1NT and we hold 10? Will we only invite?
-gwnn

#20 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-03, 12:34

billw55, on 2012-May-03, 11:55, said:

I mentioned that in my previous post. Turning +90 to -50 loses 140 = 4 IMP. Turning +150 to +400 gains 250 = 6 IMP. So (roughly) we have 3:2 odds in our favor?

These aren't the only possibilities. Sometimes you turn +90 (1NT making) into -100 (3N down 2), for example.

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users