Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

rebid our side suit?

#1 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-May-11, 22:19

So our 1S is 10-15 with 5+ spades. Our response structure is...

1N-semi-forcing
2C-artificial GF
2D-6+ hearts constructive or 5+ hearts GI
2H-9+ raise with 3
2S-<9 raise

So after 1S-1N, let's say I'm Axxxx xxx x AQxx. I.e. minimum

Is it better to rebid 2C or pass.

The upside of bidding....

1) may find club fit
2) partner may have long diamond bust
3) 5-2 spade fit may play better than 1N

The downside

1) may get too high, especially 2N
2) may have misfit

I'm even wondering about side hearts. Partner is slightly less likely to have hearts than in standard.

Should we require our second suit to be 5-cds or promise a non-minimum (like 12+) when we rebid a new suit?

#2 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-11, 23:07

Definitely bid 2C

Edit: This is much better than bidding 2C in standard (add a jack if you want) since you are limited, so partner will pass with a lot of hands he would bid on as a "courtesy" in standard since you might have 17 or 18. He will also invite sounder than in standard. Also, you play semi forcing NT which means your 2C shows 4 clubs combined with a limited hand which is great since partner can and will pass more often than normal, and will bid 3C with 4 clubs and an invite rather than 2N (since this shows a real invite rather than a courtesy invite).

You basically have the nuts system for this hand.

#3 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-11, 23:12

Also, your example hand is Axxxx of spades but very frequently with 5314 you'd want to play 2S in a 5-2 rather than 1N. For instance, with KJT9x xxx x AQxx it would be really silly to pass since you would love even a preference to 2S. The worst part of 2C with your example hand is that your spades are bad for a 5-2. Still, 2S will probably be better than 1N anyways imo. Add in the chance you can play clubs, hearts, or diamonds opposite 6 of them and it's a no brainer. It's not like you are loving your hand for 1N, the hand is extremely suit oriented especially if partner has a stiff spade which he often will. I know you listed 5-2 spade fit may be better, but I think you are underestimating how often the 5-2 spade fit will be better when you have chunkier spades and 5134.

Even the "bad" shape of 1453 will play very well in clubs on this hand. And partner will be able to pass 2C far more than he would in forcing NT or a standard system with that shape. Going back to what I said before, you have the nuts system for bidding 2C.

#4 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-12, 06:51

Thanks a lot. I think we'll take suit quality and suit orientation more into account as to whether opener should rebid.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users