Penalty double on nothing at all

#1 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-May-05, 20:25

#2 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-May-05, 22:14

GIB does this all the time. Note the meaning ascribed to your 4 call. 21-HCP, 20-22 total points. Based on the fact that you have 20-22 total points, GIB "knows" that the opponents cannot make 4. The fact that you know what is in your hand and can double on your own if 4 is going down does not matter to GIB.

By the way, your hand actually matches GIB's description. The fact that meeting the description doesn't mean that 4 is going down does not matter.

#3 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-05, 23:03

I think is partially due to the evaluation function. I think actual hand in GIB point count is only 19 total pts, and it is assigning you hands stronger in high cards with less shape more likely to beat them. Even so it shouldn't be doubling with zero defensive tricks.

Also 4c as only "5+ clubs" is a joke.

I think it has to give more point count for holding long suits, and assume competitive bids are mainly "more shape" not "more HCP" (more HCP hands tending to double, pass, or open something else in the first place).

Also logic that says "bid x level = enough total points to actually make contract" goes out the window in competitive auctions, since a lot of time you are sacrificing, or taking two-way shots (either you make or good sac). HCP totals should be adjusted down, suit lengths adjusted up.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users