BBO Discussion Forums: What do they call an eight-bagger? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What do they call an eight-bagger?

#1 User is offline   sailoranch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-May-03, 12:41

Favorable at IMPs. You are playing 2/1. How should the auction proceed from here?

Thanks in advance.
Kaya!

#2 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2012-May-03, 12:56

2H--4C (void)
4Nt--2+Q
7H

people hate showing voids in partner_suit but for me its often there that I have a void !
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#3 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-03, 16:19

@Ben

Good show on the splinter. I had not thought of that one ( or encountered it ) before .
Reviewing the logic, 2C! I assume was GF.
Then after the suit agreement of 2H ( guaranteeing only 3 cards ) , 3C would be forcing, so 4C! = jump-over-a-force
should be a splinter.
My only concern would be that opener should have 6 cards for the splinter bid ( 9 combined ), but why mince with such a good 5 card suit !
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#4 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-04, 01:59

Not sure why North is showing the Q here. Any reason why they could not hold Axx/Jxx/Ax/KQJxx? I would have thought a more measured progression to the auction would be along the lines 2; 3 - 3; 4 - 4; 5 which surely has to show a club void and implied heart values. I don't play 2/1 though so do excuse me if I missed an important inference. I am also interested if someone could compute the odds of 7 making. Intuitively it does not feel like we should have the right odds for it to be a good bet at IMPs.
(-: Zel :-)

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-04, 02:03

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-May-04, 01:59, said:

Not sure why North is showing the Q here.

He isn't, this fooled me too first up.

S bids 4, N bids 4N asking aces, S shows 2+Q and N bids 7.

#6 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-04, 04:20

would never bid 2 with north´s hand that is a terrible bid. The stiff aces are screaming discard the low hearts with pointed kings!

North sets trumps with 4 then bids keycard and when he asks about Q he assumes partner will be smart enough to think doubleton low club might be worth it. Partner denies Q and 6 is reached.

1-2
2-4
4-4NT
5-5

#7 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-04, 10:42

Fluffy, how do you play if partner's hearts are Axxxx on a heart lead? Aren't you worried about not being able to get to dummy?

#8 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2012-May-04, 14:00

ya bidding 2h on that north hand feels like double dummy bidding.

#9 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-04, 14:29

I would bid big black over 1. The 2 bid seems like a waste of time when you need to know about quality only and the 2 bid takes you off course.

If I get anything but a 5 response I am maybe in 6, so sad if the club grand was on with side pitches for a late heart loser but if I got a 5 response I would probably shoot 7.

In this case I'm bidding all the .
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#10 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-04, 23:53

I've clearly been reading the wrong books. I have a bid that shows my hand is GF and has a good club suit. My next bid can further describe my hand as 3 card heart support with GF strength. Why is 2 a waste of time? Why is opener rebidding his shape in a GF auction taking anyone off course?
What happens with your proposed auction, ggwhiz, when opener's hearts are AJxxx, so it goes:
1-4NT (RKCB for hearts, apparently)
6 (odd, void I'm telling you about since I have no clue which voids are useful)-oops
Do you still play 6? Do you plan on passing the 6 response?

#11 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2012-May-05, 00:02

View PostAntrax, on 2012-May-04, 23:53, said:

I've clearly been reading the wrong books. I have a bid that shows my hand is GF and has a good club suit. My next bid can further describe my hand as 3 card heart support with GF strength. Why is 2 a waste of time? Why is opener rebidding his shape in a GF auction taking anyone off course?
What happens with your proposed auction, ggwhiz, when opener's hearts are AJxxx, so it goes:
1-4NT (RKCB for hearts, apparently)
6 (odd, void I'm telling you about since I have no clue which voids are useful)-oops
Do you still play 6? Do you plan on passing the 6 response?

you rebid shows 3 tiny h but does not show 8 great clubs ...that is the issue of rebid of 2h which sounds double dummy.

I mean your whole post, entire post is about telling your hand.

#12 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-05, 00:19

Yeah, I guess I'm weird like that. When my system allows me to establish a GF fit on the 2-level while showing the main feature of my hand, I do that instead of jumping to the 4 level straight away. I trust you people's judgement, but it'd be great if you could back it up with some examples, like what do you do in your club slam when partner's hearts are less good.

#13 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2012-May-05, 01:41

View PostAntrax, on 2012-May-05, 00:19, said:

Yeah, I guess I'm weird like that. When my system allows me to establish a GF fit on the 2-level while showing the main feature of my hand, I do that instead of jumping to the 4 level straight away. I trust you people's judgement, but it'd be great if you could back it up with some examples, like what do you do in your club slam when partner's hearts are less good.

but but but at no p oint have you shown the main feature of your hand....8 clubs......

2h rebid does not promise 8 clubs...

In fact I would say it denies this hand....

#14 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2012-May-05, 04:13

View PostAntrax, on 2012-May-04, 10:42, said:

Fluffy, how do you play if partner's hearts are Axxxx on a heart lead? Aren't you worried about not being able to get to dummy?

Aren´t you more worried about playing 6?

I can get to dummy with Q hopefully then, or a lucky 10x. A heart lead is very unlikelly even if partrner´s hearts are bad.

#15 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-05, 04:44

I don't plan on getting to 6 opposite Axxxx, though, that's the point. All the advocated jumping around is what I fear will get me too high too fast.

#16 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2012-May-05, 05:11

I am not sure how to explain this, your fear about getting too high too fast is overreacting to bad results on low fields. If you play boards like this on strong fields you would soon develop a much stronger fear for staying too low.

Partner opening1 where my only losers are 3 small hearts makes me go wild. If I was dealer and partner bid 1 over my 1 opening I would be already thinking about how to get to slam.

#17 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-05, 05:47

Again, I don't doubt your judgment is superior, but it's difficult to learn from. Am I worried the opponents will suddenly preempt if I try to have a constructive auction?

#18 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2012-May-05, 05:56

The problem with constructuve auctions is that you cannot set clubs as trumps anymore. 4 says quite clearly: We play in clubs no matter what. While if you try to go slower your first step will probably go with 2, and after you set a major as trumps it is very hard to convince partner and end up playing on a lower strain. I think the very top players have more experience on this, but at least me, I can count the times I did it with the fingers in one hand.

2 rebid is great if you want to know partner´s shape and see if your honnors fit, but this hand is one of the best examples of when partner´s shape matters the least.

#19 User is offline   mikl_plkcc 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:sailing, bridge

Posted 2012-May-06, 03:48

In my system:

2 - set trumps
4 - sign off

4NT - RKCB
5NT - even number of keycards with a useful void

At this point, North doesn't know that South has 0 or 2 keycards so he bid 6.

In fact, north should immediately start cue-bidding after the opening since he has slam interest.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users