BBO Discussion Forums: Follow-ups after transfer to a major - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Follow-ups after transfer to a major Second-round transfers

#1 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-April-28, 08:56

1NT-2; 2

... - 2: invite with 5
... - 2NT: GF clubs
... - 3: GF diamonds
... - 3: invite with 6
... - 3: GF spades
... - 3: GF with 5, unbalanced
... - 3NT: GF with 5, (semi)balanced

Did I get this right? Anyway what I want to know is, what is the corresponding scheme after 1NT-2; 2?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#2 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-28, 09:26

This is what Han made me play:

After 1NT - 2D - 2H:
2S = 5 hearts, invitational. Opener should rarely jump to 3NT as responder could be light and distributional.
2NT = clubs, GF. Now 3H shows 3 hearts, 3D and 3S are natural, 3NT denies interest in hearts or clubs, 3C shows 3+ clubs and asks for more info (natural follow ups).
3C = diamonds GF
3D = hearts, either invitational or slam try with shortness. Opener bids 3H or 3S, (shortness up the line, 4H was sign off)
3H = at least 5-5 in the majors, exactly invitational.
3S = choice of games, “bid 4M with support”.
3NT = choice of games, may pass with support.

Similar after a transfer to spades, except that 3D is both majors GF. To invite in spades bid 2C and then 2S.

1NT-2C;2H-2NT is ambiguous - can have four spades.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#3 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-28, 10:54

I like the way gnasher has it.

There seems to be room for one more bid after 1N 2D, 2H 3D, 3H/S (admittedly at the expense of some room over one of the shortness-showing bids), and I think a good use for 3NT on those auctions might be game forcing with 6 bad hearts, say Qxxxxx or worse. Then you could play in 3NT when partner has xx, as well as when he has AKx(x).
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#4 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-April-28, 10:59

It will certainly cure some partners of their incessant super-accepts :rolleyes:
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#5 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-28, 18:10

you forgot 4, but we know it is always gerber.

#6 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-April-29, 04:34

View Postmgoetze, on 2012-April-28, 08:56, said:

Did I get this right? Anyway what I want to know is, what is the corresponding scheme after 1NT-2; 2?

There isn't a 'right', it depends on the rest of your NT system. We put all invitational hands with a 5-card major through the 2C response which allows us to play in 2M, giving us

1NT-2D-2H-

2S = FG 4-5 majors
2NT = FG clubs (opener completes to 3C with doubt about strain, bids 3D with a good club fit, 3H with 3 hearts, 3S with a double fit, 3NT no fit anywhere)
3C = FG diamonds
3D = FG 6 hearts no side suit and no shortage (usually a slam try, but can stop in 3NT) - opener bids 3H = medium, 3S max, spade cue, 3NT = unsuitable
3H = nat inv
3S/4m = shortage
3NT = choice

Many 54 hands show both their suits so transfer then 3NT tends to be 5332 and opener can use that info to pass 3NT with 3-card heart support if he wants.

#7 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-April-29, 04:35

So with our scheme it is simple to extrapolate to 1NT-2H-2S-

2NT = FG clubs
3C = fg diamonds
3D = FG 5-4 majors
3H = FG 6 spades no shortage
3S = invitational

#8 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-29, 08:28

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2012-April-29, 04:34, said:

...We put all invitational hands with a 5-card major through the 2C response which allows us to play in 2M, ...

You may have posted it before, but I am sure many of us would be interested in seeing the 1NT 2C structure, if you would. If already on the forum, can someone post a link?

#9 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder

Posted 2012-April-29, 08:53

I don't think I've posted the current structure before. I don't think this is anything particularly special or clever, but we play 1NT -

2C = at least invitational values, either INV with 1 or more 5-card majors, INV with 1 or 2 4-card majors, FG with 1 or 2 4-card majors or balanced slam interest
2D/2H = transfers, either weak, FG or INV with 6-card major
2S = INV without a major (may have a long minor) or FG 5+ clubs and a 4+major (opener bids 2NT min, 3C min with both minors, 3D any max; responder can pull 2NT to 3m to play over which 3NT is allowed)
2NT = clubs, either to play in 3C or slam interest without a major (xfer then new suit = shortage)
3C = diamonds, similarly
3D = FG 5+ diamonds and a 4 card major
3H/3S = 3-suited short in suit bid
4C = both minors, at least 5-5
4D = both majors, at least 5-5, weak
4M to play

After 1NT -2C opener bids
2D no major (now 2M by responder = INV with 5 cards)
2H = min, 4 hearts, may have 4 spades (now 2S by responder = INV with 5 cards)
2S = min, 4 spades, not 4 hearts
2NT = max, at least one major
(if we allowed 5-card majors in our 1NT opening, which we don't really, we'd use 3C/3D to show a max with the linked major)

these all have artificial continuations from 3C upwards

The awkward hand is when responder is invitational with 5 hearts and opener has a minimum with 4 spades you have to play in 2NT. We used to play something different that solved that problem, but switched to this which gives more flexibility with some other hand types.

p.s. we are at least consistent - we play game forcing transfers in response to 2NT, and we don't play garbage stayman in response to 1NT...

#10 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-April-30, 01:22

I am also one that uses transfers after a heart transfer, but I do it slightly differently, using the first step (2) as a 3-way bid that includes clubs. That frees up 2NT to show an invitational hand with spades, an otherwise awkward hand for my (Puppet-based) scheme:-

1NT - 2; 2
============
2 = range ask, a natural 2/4NT rebid, or a strong slam try with 6+ hearts, or 4+ clubs
2NT = 5 hearts, 4 spades, INV
3 = 4+ diamonds
3 = 5+ spades
3 = INV
3, 4m = splinter
3NT = cog
4 = mild slam try

Over a spade transfer things are complicated by requiring 2NT naturally. If you can take this hand type out then it is simpler. The scheme I use here is more like flip-flop than transfers; the first step that is free (3) is again used as a multi but now only 2-way due to lack of space:-

1NT - 2; 2
============
2NT = INV
3 = 4+ diamonds, or strong slam try with 6+ spades
3 = 4+ clubs
3 = 5+ hearts, INV
3 = INV
3NT = cog
4m, 4 = splinter
4 = mild slam try
4NT = natural invite

Naturally, if you preferred to play Baze (or equivalent) over transfers, or if you used 1NT - 3M naturally, you could remove the strong slam try hands from the multi rebids. In that case the scheme over spades simplifies to a pure flip-flop of the minors. Frances' scheme over the spade transfer would be better but only if you can afford the bids elsewhere to take the invitational hand out of 2 (I can't because 2 is Puppet Stayman).
(-: Zel :-)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users