BBO Discussion Forums: Is 1NT for takeout a green/red or brown sticker system? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is 1NT for takeout a green/red or brown sticker system? ABF systems classification question

#1 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2012-April-26, 21:04

Simple enough question: I play an overcall of 1NT as a light three suited takeout (8-14). What sticker does that make my system?

Is that a brown sticker treatment?

ABF System regulations are here: http://www.abf.com.a...ystemRegs11.pdf

I had just blithely assumed that it was OK because it's like a takeout double, but I may be quite wrong on this.

#2 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-April-26, 23:17

Over here, it's General Convention Chart, which means it can be played in any game.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#3 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-27, 04:26

It looks like brown sticker unless you have a slightly tighter definition. (1H) 1NT as a three-suited takeout guaranteeing four spades would be ok.

#4 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-April-27, 06:00

First of all: "brown sticker" never applies to a system, but only to individual treatments. Your system is classified as green, blue, red or yellow, and it may or may not contain brown sticker conventions.

Secondly, a brown sticker can only apply to (a) an opening bid of two clubs through three spades, (b) an overcall of a natural opening bid of one of a suit
or (c) any weak two-suited bid (whether it be an overcall, an opening bid or a response) at the two or three level. A 1NT overcall is obviously none of the above.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#5 User is offline   mrdct 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-27, 06:06

View PostCthulhu D, on 2012-April-26, 21:04, said:

Simple enough question: I play an overcall of 1NT as a light three suited takeout (8-14). What sticker does that make my system?

ABF System regulations are here: http://www.abf.com.a...ystemRegs11.pdf

I had just blithely assumed that it was OK because it's like a takeout double, but I may be quite wrong on this.

The classification of your system as green, blue, red or yellow is based solely on the meanings of your one-level openings, so the use of this 1NT overcall treatment is of no relevance to the system classification; although you would be required to prealert it.

It doesn't fit the definition of a brown sticker convention so you would be free to play it any ABF or WBF event subject to meeting the prevailing disclosure requirements.
Disclaimer: The above post may be a half-baked sarcastic rant intended to stimulate discussion and it does not necessarily coincide with my own views on this topic.
I bidding the suit below the suit I'm actually showing not to be described as a "transfer" for the benefit of people unfamiliar with the concept of a transfer

#6 User is offline   mrdct 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-27, 06:07

View Postcampboy, on 2012-April-27, 04:26, said:

It looks like brown sticker unless you have a slightly tighter definition. (1H) 1NT as a three-suited takeout guaranteeing four spades would be ok.

No-Trumps is not a "suit" for the purposes of the Brown Sticker definition.
Disclaimer: The above post may be a half-baked sarcastic rant intended to stimulate discussion and it does not necessarily coincide with my own views on this topic.
I bidding the suit below the suit I'm actually showing not to be described as a "transfer" for the benefit of people unfamiliar with the concept of a transfer

#7 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-27, 08:17

View Postmgoetze, on 2012-April-27, 06:00, said:

Secondly, a brown sticker can only apply to (a) an opening bid of two clubs through three spades, (b) an overcall of a natural opening bid of one of a suit
or (c) any weak two-suited bid (whether it be an overcall, an opening bid or a response) at the two or three level. A 1NT overcall is obviously none of the above.

I must be missing something; it looks like b) to me.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#8 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2012-April-27, 09:00

View PostVampyr, on 2012-April-27, 08:17, said:

Yeah, isn't it an overcall of one of a suit? Though that said.. isn't a takeout double also such a call?

#9 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-April-27, 09:24

View PostVampyr, on 2012-April-27, 08:17, said:

As I was rushing to get the above post out the door it seemed to me to mean that the overcall must be 1, 1 or 1 but that is of course silly. So yes, you are probably right.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#10 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-27, 10:16

Natural NT overcalls are listed as an exception to b) so I infer that artificial NT overcalls are included.

In normal usage, "overcall" means a bid over RHO's bid, despite the name ("overbid" being something else entirely). So a double is not included any more than a pass would be.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users