• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

GNT ATB, if any, #2

#1 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-May-01, 02:18

(IMP teams) N/S are a new partnership playing a normal 2/1 with strong nt. FSF is forcing to game, not just 1 round (although N/S may not be on the same page on if 4m counts as game over rejected 3nt probes). If a suit is agreed, 4nt is the only keycard call (no kickbacks or minorwoods).

#2 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-01, 03:43

It feels to me that given that south has essentially denied a heart control over 2H, presuming 3d is your nothing bid, then north's 3H looks a lot like a cue and south should cooperate with 3S.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#3 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-01, 04:20

View Postphil_20686, on 2012-May-01, 03:43, said:

north's 3H looks a lot like a cue

Interesting. I don't think it looks like a cue to me, just a further attempt to get a description of partner's hand. 5 then looks like it could be reluctant support after not hearing anything else useful. I think the auction would be clearer if north bid a forcing 4 rather than 3 on the third round.

#4 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-01, 04:34

View PostWellSpyder, on 2012-May-01, 04:20, said:

Interesting. I don't think it looks like a cue to me, just a further attempt to get a description of partner's hand. 5 then looks like it could be reluctant support after not hearing anything else useful. I think the auction would be clearer if north bid a forcing 4 rather than 3 on the third round.

Think of all the hands north bids 4sf with, and all the hands he doesn't have. He doesn't have a hand that wants to play in clubs, he doesn't have a hand with 6 spades, north doesn't have a weak hand that just wanted to play in 3N. What further information does south have? A bit of this depends on what you would count as a stop for bidding 2N. But with 2254 a lot of people would bid 2N with as little as Jxx, or certainly Qxx, so what further information can north be seeking?

It seems like the only hand left over is the strong hand with diamond support, that doesnt want to bid 4d and miss a whole round of cuebidding.

#5 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-01, 05:03

View Postphil_20686, on 2012-May-01, 04:34, said:

A bit of this depends on what you would count as a stop for bidding 2N. But with 2254 a lot of people would bid 2N with as little as Jxx, or certainly Qxx, so what further information can north be seeking?

I agree this is probably the key issue for deciding the best use of 3H. I don't know about you, but I find it is so rare that I have either Jxx or Qxx in a 2254 hand that it is not worth worrying about :) . With 2254 I would have thought that 2 was quite a likely call over the 4SF, but 1354 with Jxx might be possible for 3D, in which case a further enquiry with 3 could certainly be useful.

#6 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-01, 05:18

View PostWellSpyder, on 2012-May-01, 05:03, said:

I agree this is probably the key issue for deciding the best use of 3H. I don't know about you, but I find it is so rare that I have either Jxx or Qxx in a 2254 hand that it is not worth worrying about :) . With 2254 I would have thought that 2 was quite a likely call over the 4SF, but 1354 with Jxx might be possible for 3D, in which case a further enquiry with 3 could certainly be useful.

obviously I meant 1354.

Since 2N doenst preclude playing in 5m, and partner should show his diamond/club support over this anyway. Then it makes sense to bid it often. Agree that with 2254 you can bid 2S. So what does it mean when you bid 2h-3d-3h? Partner known to be 1354 with Jxx or worse hearts and you still are looking for 3N? Are you to decide based on the difference between Jxx and xxx? Seems rare and specific.

Even if that were true, south has nothing in hearts and is still not sure what minor partner would like to play in given that I have no heart stop and he must have one in mind.

South should just bid 3s, or 4c if you would not cue shortage in partners suit here. Surely diamonds is the only suit in play for partner here.

#7 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-01, 05:38

Without any agreement, isn't this 3 normally played as natural? I prefer to play it as more FSF, something like AQ10xx Jxx Qx Axx, but I don't think that's standard.

With the North hand, I'd just bid 4 over 3, especially in an unpractised partnership. Advance cue-bids should be reserved for sequences where you're sure you're on the same wavelength.

Looking at North's subsequent actions, it doesn't look as though he thought 3 agreed diamonds. If diamonds were agreed, he would have bid 5 rather than 5.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#8 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-01, 06:34

When was 6xD-solid to be shown?
North fears a D-loser +SA?
When was 4-support for Diamonds to be shown?
Was HA suggested? C-AQ in 2nd suit?
North has a monster opposite solid 6xD.
I would have jumped 4D over 4SF to show solid.
Now North is well placed to find even a grand.

#9 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-May-01, 06:42

North muddied the waters with his 3 bid which, in the absence of some agreement to the contrary, is natural.

A simple 4 call seems better, but it would not have solved the problem. South may bid RKCB, but missing all of the outside controls and having no control in hearts, it is far from clear.

I don't know how to bid this slam with any degree of confidence. Someone is going to have to take a unilateral action at some point - probably RKCB by South.

#10 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-01, 07:33

3H is the worst bid.
North has to DEFINITELY agree Diam... here at the 4-level... not the 5-level.
Then 4H! ( by South ) would be kickback-RKC, which, unfortunately you don't use, so....South will bid 4NT-RKC
and play 5D if only North has only one key card or 6D w/2.
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#11 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-May-01, 09:06

I was working my way through the posts with a growing sense of incredulity as I saw the debate over 3.

Just how would we bid say AKJxx AQxxx x xx in a simple 2/1 gf method?

Anyone for 1 followed by 2 followed by 3?

It was a relief to see that Andy posted, and after that sanity prevailed over the 3 call.

I don't like 3....what was he planning to do over 4, as one question.

His concern was, presumably, that he couldn't bring himself to bypass 3N. He may have feared that his partner would have bid 3 on some 2=2=5=4 or even 1=3=5=4 lacking a heart card, since they are a new partnership.

I think he ought to have bit the bullet and committed to diamonds, via 4. It is far from clear that slam would have been reached...tho if S decided to cue 4, it would have become easy (maybe for the wrong reason).

As it was, over 3, 4 is weird, unless he took 3 as a cue, which I hope we can all see makes little sense. I think S should bid 3N, over which N should pull to 4. Now things become really murky, because N has described a 5=5=3=0 hand with slam interest. Oh well.

So both misbid and it isn't easy to assign blame.

FWIW, I don't think this slam is easy to reach in a basic 2/1 method.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#12 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-May-01, 09:14

Gutcheck - what is 3 over 2?
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#13 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-01, 09:25

View PostPhil, on 2012-May-01, 09:14, said:

Indeed. For me, this jump in the 4th suit is the way to show mikeh's hand.

#14 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-May-01, 09:35

surely that depends on methods. I am not saying one can't play 3 as gf 5-5, but I, for one, prefer 5-5 invitational.

Would you risk 3 in an undiscussed partnership situation, red v white?
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#15 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-01, 09:37

5-5 Game forcing for most people.

#16 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-May-01, 09:52

Splinter agreeing clubs for me

#17 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-01, 09:52

View Postgnasher, on 2012-May-01, 05:38, said:

Looking at North's subsequent actions, it doesn't look as though he thought 3 agreed diamonds. If diamonds were agreed, he would have bid 5 rather than 5.

Really? looks like north did think diamonds were agreed but was unwilling to make a second slam try without a club control from south.

I mean this auction clearly went off the rails at 3 hearts, and north could have avoided that by bidding 4d, but that doesnt seem optimal. This is pretty much the best of all FSF auctions for standard methods, as south would have raised spades directly with three spades and a min, and bid 3 spades with three spades and 14-16, and would have bid 2s over fsf with a doubleton spade and no heart stop, so south is known to have a singleton or void spade, at least two hearts, no heart stop, and no fifth club.

Given those strictures, even if you play 3h as two way, as initially asking about a partial heart stop, or an advanced cue, south must cooperate with a cue for diamonds if he cannot move towards 3N? Is anyone really suggesting that any of hearts, clubs, or spades are in play for a possible strain? I would say its 100% that north cannot have 5 hearts, given he did not bid 3H initially. If he is bidding 3H as natural in a four card suit, then it can only be to help south evaluate for a diamond slam?

Similarly, given all the things north knows about south, if south bids 4c over 3h, then whatever 3H means, 4C must be a cue for diamonds? South has a pretty good hand for diamonds all things considered.

#18 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-01, 09:55

Can you say Splinter ?
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#19 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-May-01, 10:08

View Postphil_20686, on 2012-May-01, 09:37, said:

5-5 Game forcing for most people.

Me too - so 3 can be used as a punt here.

Still, there's a lot to be said for simplicity and just raising diamonds.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#20 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-01, 10:28

for me jump to 3 is 5-5 GF, 2+3 is invitational 5-5.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users