BBO Discussion Forums: X and bid a new suit over 2C precision - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

X and bid a new suit over 2C precision Flexible hands or big overcall ?

#1 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2012-April-25, 10:49

(2C*)--X--(P)--2D
(P)--???

* precision

What does 2H/2S mean ?

a flexible hand 54 in the majors or a hand too good for a direct 2M (around 19 pts) ?
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#2 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-25, 11:19

I play it as strong, just as if they had opened 1C. If you chose to double with 4522 you just have to suck it up and pass 2D.

#3 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-April-25, 11:51

2 is basically the same as a standard 1, except that it is limited in hcp and definitely promises clubs. The takeout double should therefore be the same as a takeout double of 1, which, after all, implies shortness in clubs.

The only difference is that one would probably not stretch to bid over a 2 opening.....iow, you might double 1 on a nice 4441 10 count, while you might choose to need at least a good 11 or 12 count with this shape to do it at the 2-level.

Given that you are really using the same scheme over this 2 as you are over 1, it makes sense to play as Justin suggests, and as I think is standard: 2M is strong....presumably a good 16 count (or so, depending on partnership taste and style) and usually a 6+ suit.

I guess I could just have upvoted Justin, since I am not really adding value to his comment.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#4 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-April-25, 12:24

Doesn't it depend on what you use a 3M overcall for?
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#5 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-April-25, 14:38

View PostPhil, on 2012-April-25, 12:24, said:

Doesn't it depend on what you use a 3M overcall for?

Yes, but this is not a preempt over a preempt situation. Opener has announced 11-15 hcp, and while it is limited, it is a constructive call, not an attempt to distort the auction. So in my experience, it is common and reasonable to play that 3M retains the meaning if would have after a 1 opening.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#6 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-25, 17:24

A lot of people play intermediate jumps over a precision 2C. I don't see why that changes whether X then 2S would be strong, we can have a hand that is both flexible and strong, just as over a preempt. Perhaps I misunderstood the wording, I thought OP was asking if X then 2M could just be no extras and 54 majors.

#7 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-April-26, 01:44

I'm not sure what the standard meaning is, if any, but I think it should be ELC-type.

It's very different from bidding over a 1 opening. After a one-level overcall, you often get a chance to find a fit in the other major: partner may advance 1 or 1NT, or the opponents may bid something which lets you show your second suit, either directly or by doubling. For example, with a 4522 14-count you might bid
1 1 pass pass
dbl 1
but you wouldn't do the same thing at the two-level.

Also, after a one-level overcall gets doubled, partner will often run with something like a 4144 shape, but he'll be less inclined to do so at the two-level, because he expects a better suit. (Maybe this argument is circular though.)
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#8 User is offline   dave_w 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-May-01, 21:28

All your problems on this auction are solved. 2 is lebensohl and 2 is forced on minimum hands. Of course when you have diamonds things are trickier but that's another issue!

#9 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-May-02, 00:45

View Postdave_w, on 2012-May-01, 21:28, said:

All your problems on this auction are solved. 2 is lebensohl and 2 is forced on minimum hands. Of course when you have diamonds things are trickier but that's another issue!

That might solve another problem, but it doesn't solve this one - it makes it worse. In your methods we can't show either the ELC-type or the strong hand.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#10 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2012-May-02, 00:53

Fwiw, i also like to play 2D as "lebensohl," which is a herbert negative in this sequence.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users